Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here's the scoop. I had a 11 and upgraded for the changes in 12. I never had any issues with this noise in my 11 and just started hearing it in my 2012. It's happening mostly when I am coasting around 20-35pmh and then step on the gas, causing a clunking in the rear. I am not sure if its just the drive shaft in the trans re-engaging or if its an actual transmission issue.

I never heard this in my 2011 at all, and just wondering if I now picked up a lemon. The car runs fine and suppose I should listen to my father and just turn the radio up!

Curious if anyone else has anything like this in the 12's. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Transmission

We recently purchased a 2013 Pilot EX-L and have noticed a distinct rumble,clunk, whatever you want to call it, when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. I took it to the shop and they definitely noticed it as not being normal. They are contacting Honda techs for some answers for the next step. I am a little concerned as I owned a 2003 Pilot that ran perfectly for 9 years. I am hoping this is not a transmission issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2013 Pilot EX-L is now in the shop and talking with them yesterday they said they took a snapshot of the transmission and the VCM and the Honda engineers stated that was no problem in either of these. There conclusion was that faulty motor mounts are the problem so they are ordered and will be replaced. I am skeptical that motor mounts would cause a shudder between 1st and 2nd gear and at no other time. I hear other parties talk of bad torque converters in some Pilots. Has anyone experienced any issues such as mine that are caused by torque converters?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I contacted the dealer and they said that Honda Techs have authorized them to replace the transmission in my vehicle. I think they are grabbing straws as they know there is a problem just not completely sure what. I am not happy about owning a 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L with 1184 miles and replacing the transmission at this point. Maybe I should be glad this is happening but it's hard to put a positive spin on this. If this doesn't cure the problem my next step will be to attempt to get a replacement vehicle.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a 2012 Honda Pilot EX 4WD bought new in Feb 2012. Now 16,000 miles and no clunking. Jerky downshifts, yes, but no clunking, vibration, or odd noises at any speed.

cwessner, is your 2012 a 2WD or 4WD?

Your clunking problem with your 2012 is for sure abnormal. Hope Mother Honda will step up to the plate to get this fixed for you.

Many here will be interested in this engineers report on the 4WD system used in both the Honda Ridgeline and Pilot trucks: Ridgeline Owners Club | Variable Torque Management VTM-4 Explanation

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good news, our Honda dealer replaced the transmission, torque converter and motor mounts. It now drives and shifts smoothly with no hesitation or issues. I have been very happy with our local dealer and Honda's response to this problem. I had a loaner during this process so it didn't cause any inconveniences. I have been a loyal Honda owner since 1979 with this being my first issue. Hopefully my last.

·
Administrator
15,669 Posts
Interesting. Wonder if the compliance oil fill motor mounts are going to prove a weak spot.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have to get mine in to be looked at, I bought a 2nd car this summer so the honda became the hauler nad not used everyday. I definately still have the noise at times, when going from 1-2nd gear and is a loud clunking noise.

I am going to target taking it to be looked at in about a week or so before I get too many miles. It's been this way since day one I think, just have it a year at thanksgiving and I have just shy of 18k on it already. Will keep everyone posted, thank you swolfe for sharing the information as I know have something they can read that it may not be an isolated incident.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes. At 3200 miles on, my Pilot has a vibration around 40 mph when torque converter goes lock up. It goes to the shop on Wednesday. Best, CB

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes. At 3200 miles on, my Pilot has a vibration around 40 mph when torque converter goes lock up. It goes to the shop on Wednesday. Best, CB
I'm having the same issue with my 2012 pilot. Mine has about 70k on it now. Kept up with routine maintenance and diff fluid changes etc too.
What was the outcome of the issue you had?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my 2012 pilot. Mine has about 70k on it now. Kept up with routine maintenance and diff fluid changes etc too.
also - I'm taking our pilot to the dealer this morning.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
also - I'm taking our pilot to the dealer this morning.
Good morning @SB5 ,
The person your asking this question hasn't been around for 7 years. Not sure that they will reply. I'm assuming you have a 2nd generation Pilot? Transmission issues seem to become worse in the cold. When was the last ATF change? What kind of ATF has been used?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good morning @SB5 ,
The person your asking this question hasn't been around for 7 years. Not sure that they will reply. I'm assuming you have a 2nd generation Pilot? Transmission issues seem to become worse in the cold. When was the last ATF change? What kind of ATF has been used?
I just checked w our shop No record of a transmission fluid change. At 72K miles it may not be a bad idea. They also said they'll have their tech take a ride w me to check it out. The dealer wants $150 to just look at it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just checked w our shop No record of a transmission fluid change. At 72K miles it may not be a bad idea. They also said they'll have their tech take a ride w me to check it out. The dealer wants $150 to just look at it.
going to schedule transmission flush

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Just to clarify the word "Flush," Honda only recommends drain and fill. A flush would be considered doing this 3 or 4 times, driving between each drain and fill. Since you know the fluid is old, I'd caution not to do an actual machine induced flush.
Since your going to the dealership, the point may be moot, The dealership will use non full synthetic DW-1 in your 5-speed transmission. I highly recommend a non dealership 3 time drain, fill and drive, with Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF. It just works better for your situation. Wal-Mart sells 1 gallon jugs for $18. It requires 3.5 quarts per drain and fill. I fear the dealership will try and sell you shift solenoids.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just to clarify the word "Flush," Honda only recommends drain and fill. A flush would be considered doing this 3 or 4 times, driving between each drain and fill. Since you know the fluid is old, I'd caution not to do an actual machine induced flush.
Since your going to the dealership, the point may be moot, The dealership will use non full synthetic DW-1 in your 5-speed transmission. I highly recommend a non dealership 3 time drain, fill and drive, with Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF. It just works better for your situation. Wal-Mart sells 1 gallon jugs for $18. It requires 3.5 quarts per drain and fill. I fear the dealership will try and sell you shift solenoids.
went to non dealer shop. they use full synthetic there.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
went to non dealer shop. they use full synthetic there.
I'd confirm the brand, just to be safe. Maybe let us know what's used. Many of us have experienced using other brands. Some good and bad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd confirm the brand, just to be safe. Maybe let us know what's used. Many of us have experienced using other brands. Some good and bad.
bg fluid - is what they used and it is full synthetic. shop said the old fluid was clean and free of metal debris. They are taking it for a test run post fluid change to be sure all is well. They have not noticed anything unusual. The tech that worked on it is a former Honda / Acura service tech and is familiar with the vehicle..

I might just be oversensitive to the way the car feels. I bet it is ECO mode flutter at 41 MPH. I'm used to driving my 2003 Tacoma which is clearly a different animal.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
bg fluid - is what they used and it is full synthetic. shop said the old fluid was clean and free of metal debris. They are taking it for a test run post fluid change to be sure all is well. They have not noticed anything unusual. The tech that worked on it is a former Honda / Acura service tech and is familiar with the vehicle..

I might just be oversensitive to the way the car feels. I bet it is ECO mode flutter at 41 MPH. I'm used to driving my 2003 Tacoma which is clearly a different animal.
I believe that there is one Piloteer that's a big fan of BG. 😁 I'm unfamiliar with it.
The eco light coming on is when the VCM deactivates cylinders to improve fuel economy. Many of us on the forum have disabled the VCM to stop this vibration and improve the longevity of the engine.
I use S-VCM.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts