Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. My 06 Pilot EX-L with 240k has had most of its front end replaced (not the struts, they are next), rear wheel bearings, rear shocks, rear brakes, sway bar links (but not the bushings yet). I still have this rattle in the back and a harmonic that sounds low and kind of large panelish when I go over a series of small bumps. I do get a bit of spring squeak and bounce over speed bumps even with new shocks. Anyway my forays under the rear of the car with a pry par doesn’t indicate anything truly worn out so I am at a loss. Could the rear sway bar bushings cause all that if the bar is possibly on metal? After all the wrenching I have done on the old girl I just want to trounce this damn noise. Thanks to all for ideas!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Hey folks. My 06 Pilot EX-L with 240k has had most of its front end replaced (not the struts, they are next), rear wheel bearings, rear shocks, rear brakes, sway bar links (but not the bushings yet). I still have this rattle in the back and a harmonic that sounds low and kind of large panelish when I go over a series of small bumps. I do get a bit of spring squeak and bounce over speed bumps even with new shocks. Anyway my forays under the rear of the car with a pry par doesn’t indicate anything truly worn out so I am at a loss. Could the rear sway bar bushings cause all that if the bar is possibly on metal? After all the wrenching I have done on the old girl I just want to trounce this damn noise. Thanks to all for ideas!
At 240k, everything in the suspension that is still original is probably shot. My 2003 with 210k needed everything before it tightened up and quieted down. Sway bar bushings will fool you. They might look good, but a little gap makes a big noise. New front struts will also make a big difference. If you live in the rust belt, check the rear subframe to unit body attachments. They are notorious for rusting out and loosening up--happened to me.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Could very well be the rear sway bar bushings. The parts are inexpensive enough ( EDIT: and similar but different from the front sway bar bushings -- check the part number carefully), but the labor can be a bear.

However, here's something to try first that costs nothing and isn't to hard to do, once you know about it. A noise from the rear was driving me nuts before this took care of it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At 240k, everything in the suspension that is still original is probably shot. My 2003 with 210k needed everything before it tightened up and quieted down. Sway bar bushings will fool you. They might look good, but a little gap makes a big noise. New front struts will also make a big difference. If you live in the rust belt, check the rear subframe to unit body attachments. They are notorious for rusting out and loosening up--happened to me.
No rust belt but within a 100 miles of the gulf. I looked at that area and did not see any surface rust much less cancer. I suppose it won’t hurt to pull the bolt ( if possible ). Heck they may all be loose as the ft lower control arms weren’t real tight when I did them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could very well be the rear sway bar bushings. The parts are inexpensive enough ( EDIT: and similar but different from the front sway bar bushings -- check the part number carefully), but the labor can be a bear.

However, here's something to try first that costs nothing and isn't to hard to do, once you know about it. A noise from the rear was driving me nuts before this took care of it.

Thanks for posting that. I will check it this weekend. It’s bugging my “OCD” too. LOL

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Make sure that your spare tire is tight in the uppermost position and nothing rattles in the rear pockets.

Reactions: oldcomputech

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Did you clean the crap that's floating around loose in the back? just asking :)

Reactions: oldcomputech

·
Registered
858 Posts
No rust belt but within a 100 miles of the gulf. I looked at that area and did not see any surface rust much less cancer. I suppose it won’t hurt to pull the bolt ( if possible ). Heck they may all be loose as the ft lower control arms weren’t real tight when I did them.
I wouldn't worry about rear subframe bolts in your case. Sway bar bushings and links are more likely.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm curious. We have a 2013 Pilot that we will probably keep forever (good trip vehicle, good for when you have a bunch of kids to haul around and good for Home Depot runs) and are 105k or so. How much have you guys invested in changing out suspension elements and such? I'll be re-doing the brakes myself sometime soon. Have you guys done any quick-strut type replacements (did that once on our old Infiniti) or what was the average cost to get it running like-new again?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well mine has new rear shocks, new ft lower arms and ball joints. May need struts. Pretty solid still at 240k and 16 years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts