Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there Piloteers. I recently bought an 06 with 186km as I'm from Canada. It is in good shape, with only a small amount of rust behind the rear wheels. I've treated it with "Fluid Film" and Por 15 till I can get to it next summer. The first thing I noticed is a sharp clunk noise when driving over any little bump no matter how small. I had the same noise in my 01 Subaru Outback and I replaced every component of the front end but it was still there. It ended up being the sway bar mounts. They were worn so I did a trial attempt to fix just by wrapping strips of plastic from a pop bottle around the sway bar and then put it back together. Amazingly it stopped the noise and the temporary fix has been working for 3yrs. Back to the Pilot. I lifted it up and looked underneath. Everything looked good. Did the wheel wiggle thing and bearings, ball joints seemed fine. Only thing I could see was what appeared to be some wear on the sway bar mounts. Loosed the bolt on the mount clamp, bent a thicker flat washer into rounded shape and pushed/pounded it into the slight gap, tightened it all back down and wow, no more suspension noise. Not the best way to fix I'm sure but it it works for 3yrs+ like my Suby, I'll be happy .
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Compact sport utility vehicle

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Guess your McGuyver fix works in a pinch but as nice as your Pilot shows in the pic why not pamper the Pilot with some new bushings....Rock Auto seems to be the fan favorite source or just go for a local source.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks aggrex, I will probably do that and Rock Auto is my go to. I just wanted to try my "MacGyver" fix before I start dumping money into it like I did with my Suby. Also winter is setting in and it will have to wait till spring. Don't like being under a vehicle at -30. lol

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,306 Posts
Sounds indeed like sway bar bushings, and nice MacGyver. (y)

Just know that the parts (go with Mevotech or Moog) are about the price of a large coffee and maple doughnut at Timmy's. :)

Welcome to the forum. Where are you that it's -30? We're having an Indian summer week in November here-- 17 to 19 degrees all through the coming weekend and into the middle of next week. :)

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
356 Posts
Sounds indeed like sway bar bushings, and nice MacGyver. (y)

Just know that the parts (go with Mevotech or Moog) are about the price of a large coffee and maple doughnut at Timmy's. :)

Welcome to the forum. Where are you that it's -30? We're having an Indian summer week in November here-- 17 to 19 degrees all through the coming weekend and into the middle of next week. :)
I am assuming, when your dog runs away and it takes three days to notice.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
356 Posts
Think OP is talking about February in the NWT or maybe Winterpeg. No -30 anywhere in Canada at this time.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL- 227,700 Miles
758 Posts
Feel free to send some of that cool air to Florida. 😉👍. No AC in Pilot or .... HOUSE!!! LOL. Well... did get spot cooler for bedroom!! and have had some nice mid 70’s last week😁👍. Send us some 50’s!!

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
Feel free to send some of that cool air to Florida. 😉👍. No AC in Pilot or .... HOUSE!!! LOL. Well... did get spot cooler for bedroom!! and have had some nice mid 70’s last week😁👍. Send us some 50’s!!
Nope, sorry, keeping all our cool. But we'll gladly send you our snowbirds who like that sort of heat. Hear the humidity's something, too. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
can you please post pics? And maybe some more details? I've got an 06 with the same "clunk", but I'm in the middle of timing belt and water pump replacement, can't afford additional parts for a few weeks. I've already gone over budget having to replace the right motor mount that was discovered to be falling apart while replacing timing belt.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
If you're DIYing it, the cost for the parts is negligible. Click on the link I put in post #4 above.

As for the job itself, the 2 passenger side bolts (14mm) come off pretty easily, especially if you've let them all soak in a good spray of penetrating oil since the night before.

The tricky part is one of the two 14mm bolts holding the passenger side bushing is really hard to access because A/C lines are in the way and you want to be careful around those. Some folks lower the subframe (about an inch should do), but you can avoid that hassle with a 12-point deep offset 14mm box wrench or a 12-point half moon (aka horseshoe) 14mm box wrench. Why a box wrench? Because due to space constraints you only get a small turn at a time. But with a little patience, you can make short work of it and for little cost.

GEARWRENCH 14mm x 16mm 12 Point Half-Moon Reversible Double Box Ratcheting Wrench - 9853 - Combination Wrenches - Amazon.com

With all this on-point advice, how can you not do this job now? Either that or you will continue to be haunted by clunking sounds. 👻

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Nope, sorry, keeping all our cool. But we'll gladly send you our snowbirds who like that sort of heat. Hear the humidity's something, too. :)
Got plenty of snowbirds- No Thanks!!
South Texas is tougher than Central Florida. Thankfully I developed Gills at an early age😉😁👍

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
Got plenty of snowbirds- No Thanks!!
But, but... without all those snowbirds, what's left to sustain Florida's economy, sunglasses and cocaine? :p

Aherm, back on topic. So howsaboutit, @kamiaze_ken? Doing the sway bar bushings?

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
But, but... without all those snowbirds, what's left to sustain Florida's economy, sunglasses and cocaine? :p

Aherm, back on topic. So howsaboutit, @kamiaze_ken? Doing the sway bar bushings?
Disney, Beaches, Cape Canaveral, Universsl Studios, HOSPITALS-which is what fed my family ( I was Healthcare Construction Superintendent) , No State Income Tax!!, Golf 365 days a year(if you have gills for summer weather) lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts