Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I have a 2008 Pilot and replaced my rear springs, shocks and control arms. i replaced these due to sagging and uneven rear tire wear. I used aftermarket parts
Shocks- Gabriel 61704
Control arm- MOOG 621873
Springs- MOOG 81649
After installing these, I could hear clug clug sound from the rear driver side. I already checked the washer on the control arm, torque on each bolt but still can’t find the source of the clug clug sound. I am thinking the upper shock is not properly fit on the bolt.
Any suggestions and help?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
At what speed and over what type of terrain or road features? If at low speeds over speed bumps, curb entrances or potholes, it might be your rear sway bar bushings.

But first, if you've rechecked all the bolt torque specs for your work, also recheck you used all the right parts for your model year. Where did you source them?

Could also be what you're speculating, so give that a looking into as well.

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
Also check and retighten if necessary the screws holding your rear latch in place. Not obvious to get to, but if you know how it's easy. Happened to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I notice the clug sound will appear when traversing small potholes or small unevenness on the road like ice or snow. No clug sound when going through humps, speed bumps. I source all my aftermarket parts from rockauto.
It’s really getting annoying and I don’t want to lose my love and interest on my 2008 Pilot with 115,000 kilometres only on it

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the same shocks brand new, they rattled like the upper bolts was loose. I torqued to specs and over torqued several times before giving up. Either the upper shock bushing is too soft or something is wrong with it. The noise went away after going back to using my old load adjusting shocks from Monroe.

Could also be your sway bar link or bushing though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked every other component and also ask technicians from Honda stealer ship and they don’t know where it is coming from. It’s probably the shocks. The hole is too big for the castle bolts and it’s clugging crazy.

this should serve as a warning to other posters

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just an update and for the guidance of other piloteers. I found my original Honda shocks that I replaced at the corner of my garage. I installed it back to my pilot and then the clug clug sound is gone. It seems that the Gabriel shocks is the one producing that annoying sound

happy with my Pilot again.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Just an update and for the guidance of other piloteers. I found my original Honda shocks that I replaced at the corner of my garage. I installed it back to my pilot and then the clug clug sound is gone. It seems that the Gabriel shocks is the one producing that annoying sound

happy with my Pilot again.
Note to self. Don't use Gabriel shocks.
Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
Note to OP: If you're still thinking of replacing those rear shocks, KYBs are good. Been happy with mine and so have others.

More Information for KYB 344353

And here's a Piloteers discount code for them...

5% Discount Code: 6E3EAFAFB9DB15
Expires: August 12, 2021

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Reactions: plplplpl
1 - 10 of 10 Posts