Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here. I took my 2018 Pilot in for the 45K service. They also replaced the hood latch under a recall. Now, when the climate control is set to heat, inside temp 10 degrees higher than outside temp, I get cold air out of the dash vents. If I raise the temp to say 15 to 20 degrees warmer, the vents stop blowing air altogether. I still get warm air on the defrost vents and the under dash vents. This is just a change in the operation of the dash vents. I took it back this morning and the service adviser said it was normal. That when the system is in auto, it thinks you want to defrost the windshield. (?) He said people don't want air blowing on them when it's cold outside. (?) I know this isn't right and it isn't the way it worked before. Clearly he was blowing me off. He said a tech would take 3 to 4 hours before he could look at it even though I called ahead 4 days and was told to come in at a specific time which I did. Ugh..

My question is, can anyone confirm my belief that cold air should not be coming out of the dash vents when the inside temp is set 10 degrees higher than the outside temp on auto or manual, and that on auto, setting the inside temp even higher should not turn off the dash vents?

I believe the 45K service includes changing out a cabin filter behind the glove box. I'm wondering if something got moved or bumped or whatever causing this change of operation.
Thanks in advance.
George

·
Registered
960 Posts
Changing the cabin filter is pretty straight forward. Done by pulling out and then putting in the new one. Not anything there which would affect your HVAC system. I don't use the Auto selection very much in my Pilot but when I do, I believe it does always defrost the windshield until I manually select a different vent selection and turn off the defroster. I also usually have to turn down the blower fan speed which removes it from Auto.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked at everything I could with the glove box removed but can't see anything wrong. All I can do is run with it as is I guess...

Thanks,

George

·
Registered
'22 Pilot Elite, '09 RL RTL, '05 MDX Touring
41 Posts
I'm having trouble following some of this.

Now, when the climate control is set to heat, inside temp 10 degrees higher than outside temp, I get cold air out of the dash vents.
You get cold air out of all four dash vents? And the engine is warmed up, I presume. Is any air flowing from any other vents? What mode are you in...full auto or other? Does this behavior change when you use the mode switch to redirect the air?

If I raise the temp to say 15 to 20 degrees warmer, the vents stop blowing air altogether.
The vents stop blowing altogether? You're not getting any air at all?

I still get warm air on the defrost vents and the under dash vents.
You still get warm air from the defrost vents and the floor vents? Is that regardless of the mode setting? Are you able to direct the air with the mode select switch? I'm not clear on the exact configuration of your settings to say whether this is normal operation or not.

In general, the system will attempt not to blow cold air from the front dash vents if you've called for warm air -- this is true. And, when in auto mode, the temperature setting can indeed change the vents from which the air is delivered -- yes, this is also true. In some cases, you may find it more desireable to just set the mode selector to direct the air where you want it and let it manage only the temperature. I've owned several cars with automatic climate control...most of them Hondas and Acuras...and I usually run all of them at least partly in manual mode -- because I do prefer to have air blowing on me and the auto mode sometimes doesn't give me that. Many people prefer NOT to have air blowing on them, so I guess it's trying to find a happy medium given their market research, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm having trouble following some of this.

You get cold air out of all four dash vents? And the engine is warmed up, I presume. Is any air flowing from any other vents? What mode are you in...full auto or other? Does this behavior change when you use the mode switch to redirect the air?
In either AUTO or manual, I get cold air out of the dash vents when asking for heat.

The vents stop blowing altogether? You're not getting any air at all?
This is correct. No air through the dash vents when I raise the temp.

You still get warm air from the defrost vents and the floor vents? Is that regardless of the mode setting? Are you able to direct the air with the mode select switch? I'm not clear on the exact configuration of your settings to say whether this is normal operation or not.
I get warn air through the floor and defrost vents when I'm asking for heat. The dash vents however initially don't blow as the car is warming up, then, depending on the temp setting, I get cold air through them or if the temp is raised, no air. Still have floor and defrost so I'm not freezing. :)

In general, the system will attempt not to blow cold air from the front dash vents if you've called for warm air -- this is true. And, when in auto mode, the temperature setting can indeed change the vents from which the air is delivered -- yes, this is also true. In some cases, you may find it more desireable to just set the mode selector to direct the air where you want it and let it manage only the temperature. I've owned several cars with automatic climate control...most of them Hondas and Acuras...and I usually run all of them at least partly in manual mode -- because I do prefer to have air blowing on me and the auto mode sometimes doesn't give me that. Many people prefer NOT to have air blowing on them, so I guess it's trying to find a happy medium given their market research, etc.
This sounds right, I'm just saying it seems very different now after the service. I noticed it right off the first time I drove it after the 45K service. I'm driving down the freeway with 44 degrees outside, inside temp set to 68 degrees, cold air coming through the dash vents. I can even feel the colder air when the compressor cycles. Not sure why the compressor would be needed in this example. The cabin isn't that cold because of the other vents. Just blowing cold out of the dash. If I turn the temp up, the air from the dash vents stops.

If I go to manual mode, set it to dash vents only, turn up the temp I can get warm air in that case. But if I have it on AUTO, or manual with all vents selected, the same thing happens with the dash vents as described with changes in the temp setting. Cold or nothing...Weird.

George

·
Registered
'22 Pilot Elite, '09 RL RTL, '05 MDX Touring
41 Posts
That does sound strange. I wouldn't expect COLD air flowing from the upper dash vents when you're calling for heat. Sometimes the upper vent air will be a little cooler than the floor vent air when on mixed mode, but I don't think I'd expect something as cold as what you're describing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts