Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that the fan never seems to decrease it's level when we use the full auto climate control...seems that only the temp of the air changes to hold a contant temp but I'm not even sure abou that.
In my Acura CL and in our old 99 Accord, as the interior warms up to the set temp, the air flow (fan speed) decreases. On the Pilot, the fan speed will decrease if I move the temp control down (say from 74 to 71) but if I keep it at 74 it seems that the fan speed stays just where it starts. In full auto at a given temp, when it gets too hot, my wife switches the fan down but I contend that this should have happened automatically. Comments?

Mark

·
Registered
423 Posts
My fan seems to adjust. In the AM when it is colder, the fan speed increases until the set temp is reached and then decreases until needed again. Either yours is not working right or the controls are not set right.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I wondered about mine until I noticed that when I left the doors open for awhile the fan kicked into a higher speed and then slowed down. Once things are set, I can barely hear the fan at all.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Mine does go up and down but it seems to stay on 2 or 3 (bars) when it's cold out (it seemed fine this summer). It stays one notch too high for my liking. Sometimes I turn the fan down manually.

·
Registered
276 Posts
BillR said:
Sometimes I turn the fan down manually.
I find myself ALWAYS having to turn the fan down manually......I normally need just the first or second fan speed to keep me comfortable....winter or summer. But that system always comes on at the third fan speed....is there any way to SET it to come on at the first level?? It's driving me crazy. :eek:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sounds like there might be a problem with it if it's not changing fan speed. Try leaving it on with the sensor on top of the dash in the sun for a few minutes, then shade the sensor. It should increase the fan speed. If it doesn't, I'd have it checked.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Fan speed

I think it comes on fast so that it starts to warm/cool down the car faster. If the fan stayed at the low speed it would take forever to get the car temp changed. Personally I like in the winter it waits until the car is warm, kicks the fan on at 3 or 4 then backs it off once the inside temp gets close to what I have it set at (72 degrees).

·
Registered
373 Posts
My guess for the higher fan speed is due to the interior volume of the Pilot. If the fan speed were lower it wouldn't keep the interior as evenly warm. This would be more than a minor issue to people (kids) riding in the 3rd row seat.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
When on "full auto" or "auto" the fan changes speed depending on the differential between the temperature requested and the actual temperature. In other words, it will run at a higher speed if you are trying to cool a really hot car after it's been sitting in the sun.

I've also noticed that when it is cold out and the I've just started the engine (radiator is cold), the fan will wait until there is some heat to circulate and then it will speed up.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I've noticed this too. The fan will wait until the engine warms up before kicking in (as it should), but when the car reaches the set temp., it doesn't seem to lower the fan speed automatically. I haven't gotten frustrated enough with it to bother lowering it manually--it adjusts the temp so it doesn't get too hot, but it seems like it could lower the fan speed while keeping the output temp a little higher and still keep the car at the right temp. without the fan noise.

Another thing that bugs me about this--when it's very cold outside and the engine warms up, wouldn't it be more efficient for the auto fan to go all the way up to max speed to warm the car up as quickly as possible? The auto fan NEVER gets to max speed. I can understand this under some circumstances because it IS pretty loud on max., but when it's -15F, I don't CARE how loud it gets, just so it gets me warm!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bill

Couldn't agree more with your observations! Sounds like my system is "normal" but I still may have the dealer check it if I'm going back some time. Thanks to all who replied...what a great board!

Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts