Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

101 - 120 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
About the bulbs. I purchased bulbs from Mouser Electronics. they come with the correct base so you don't have to fuss with wrapping wires around the old base. I had purchased 10 each of 3 different sizes for my 06 Odyssey. Then I picked up an 05 Pilot for my son and a few of the lights were out. Just finished swapping out bulbs. On the fan speed switch the bulb holder is a long thin one. I did not have one like that but did have a short base , small bulb that is used for the hazzard switch. I put that in and turn the lights on it works and looks the same as all the other lights on the climate control. On the Pilot the Hazzard switch, pass. air bag, cruise control, vsa,interior lights and sunroof back lights all have the blue covers on them.You can gently try to pry them off or get a new razor blade and score around the entire bulb to get a clean straight cut. I ran out of the smaller bulbs and had to use a slightly larger one in the VSA but iy works and it's off to the side. Thwe only difference is the bulb doesn't look as green even with cover on it.
Hazzard, air bag, VSA
Mouser part 568-CNW123 these will also work on the Odyssey in same locations
Also I used
Mouser 560-CNW1-7219 getting confused but I think this is the one i used for the climate control fan switch. This part number will work on the Odyssey seat heater, sunroof back lights
If you have on odyssey the climate control lights are
560-DNW1-DW07 Thsese bulbs are bigger and the base is larger than the other 2 part numbers. The bases on the previous bulbs are the same size. Hope this helps.
Also the bulbs are .65 to .72 cents each. Just get a 10 pack.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Anybody ever replace the little green light that comes on in the Cruise Control switch in the dash near the driver's left knee when you push it in?

I've come across apparently contradictory information.

First, when trying to order the bulb online, is it part 19 (Bulb A, A (14V 40MA) - Honda (35850-S9V-A31), or is it rather part 20 (Bulb (14V 60MA) - Honda (35851-S9V-A11) in the diagram?

https://www.hondapartsonline.net/auto-parts/2006/honda/pilot-5-door/exl-2wd-navi-trim/5-speed-automatic-engine/electrical-exhaust-heater-fuel-cat/switch-scat/?part_number=35851s9va11

Second, in the Service Manual (see PDF attachment), there seems to be no indication that the part 20 bulb exists. Does it, and can it be replaced? Or is it internal to the switch, which would have to be purchased as an entire unit with the green indicator light inside?

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
On my 05 Pilot the cruise control and VSA are on one switch housing. There are 2 bulbs in it. You can just replace the bulb. Not sure which car you are working on but all the bulbs on all the switches can be changed. The only issue I had is that wire harness is a bit short coming out of the switch. It may be cinched further back behind the dash but I wasn't going to fuss with it. I popped the 3 switch console out then disconnected the sunroof and overhead light wires first. This gave me a little more room to pull the rest of the console out. Disconnect the wire plug, remove the sunroof and overhead light switch. Once you do this you will see the 2 light sockets of the VSA/Cruise switch. No need now to remove this switch from the console just the bulbs. They will have blue covers on them.
By the lights from Mouser Electronics. see above post, get extras.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Little Green Light in Driver's Side Panel Cruise Control Switch

Actually, I just did it this morning and first of all the part is part 20 (Bulb (14V 60MA) - Honda (35851-S9V-A11) in the diagram. I've bought stuff from Mouser before, and the dealer does charge the outrageous price of $6.07 + taxes, but my OCD just couldn't let me wait for an order to arrive in the mail this time. :13:

Unlike the other bulbs, whose little plastic housing is gray, the housing for this on is brown, and the bulb itself is green (makes sense).

First, I removed the driver's side panel exactly like in the attached PDF below from the Service Manual, and I used plastic pry tools so as not to damage the trim. I had those left over from when I installed my GTA Car Kit w/ Bluetooth. If you're careful, a screwdriver could also be used, as I recall doing when I changed the moonroof switch bulb last year. I believe that one was Bulb (14V 40MA) - Honda (35381-S9V-A11),

Now the confusing part is that the illustration in the PDF from the Service Manual in the previous post for the Cruise Control switch doesn't show that 35851-S9V-A11 bulb on the left side of the switch when removed. And sure enough, unlike the right side of the switch where you can clearly see the two switch illumination bulbs (35850-S9V-A31), there is a flat square piece of whitish tape covering the left side and you can't see any bulbs there. Even the parts guy at the dealership was stumped. So I decided to carefully peel away the tape with my fingernail, and lo and behold, there were two little sockets beneath it, one empty one vis-à-vis the VSA button, and one with a bulb with a brown(!) housing aligned with the Cruise Control half of the switch. I had uncovered the buried treasure I had been seeking, and using a dime as a tiny screwdriver (I was in the dealer's parking lot), I unscrewed the old bulb and removed it, then screwed in the new one, put the tape back into place, and reassembled everything by reversing the steps in the attached PDF. Everything just clicked back into place, and when I turned on the engine and pushed the Cruise Control button, the little green light (which is not an LED, as we've now established BTW) lit up in all its tiny splendor. OCD cured.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
The lights only appear green because of the blue covers on them. The Mouser bulbs are the same you just to transfer the covers on to them. The sockets are white that is the only difference.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Great thread, thanks everyone. Going to order bulbs and hopefully tear into this over Christmas break!

Has anyone installed the T3 neo wedges LEDs in the HVAC cluster? How was the brightness compared to the old lamps?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Finally had to replace the 6 smaller climate control lights as the last two burned out on my 2003 Pilot. The others burned out a couple of years ago but there was enough light to see. Thanks to the post for saying you can just buy the lamps and replace those in the base. I got these 10 lamps for under $6. Very easy to remove the old bulb and insert the new and trim the excess wire.

I also found this post with larger pictures for instructions which was helpful. https://www.justanswer.com/honda/1s10w-several-button-climate-control-cluster-not.html

I had also purchased this trim tool kit which made the job easier.
Whole job only took 1/2 hour after reading all the how-to's! Thanks for all the help! Loved saving a bunch of money with DIY.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Wait, what?! Did I read correctly somewhere that the Hazard button is also illuminated?

If just one person confirms that it is, I'm guessing that the call of the OCD will be so compelling that it will draw me to change out that bulb as well. :2:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wait, what?! Did I read correctly somewhere that the Hazard button is also illuminated?

If just one person confirms that it is, I'm guessing that the call of the OCD will be so compelling that it will draw me to change out that bulb as well. :2:
I feel that it is illuminated.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts

I've been following this post and found it extremely helpful in getting all my lights replaced, all the way down to the little green light in the cruise control! Feels like a new car, thanks for the feedback from all!

I'm sorry to report that the hazard light does illuminate (at least it does on my 2005 EXL). Part number 35871-S3N-901, I believe, for the bulb.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I've been following this post and found it extremely helpful in getting all my lights replaced, all the way down to the little green light in the cruise control! Feels like a new car, thanks for the feedback from all!

I'm sorry to report that the hazard light does illuminate (at least it does on my 2005 EXL). Part number 35871-S3N-901, I believe, for the bulb.

Great info, but just to clarify, that part number is for a 2003-2005.

For 2006-2008, I've got my money on part number Bulb, Neo-Wedge (14V 80MA) - Honda (35871-SDA-L01). I'll confirm later this week when I go pick it up. :nerd:

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
OCD Cured Once Again :)

Yes, Virginia, there is a backlit Hazard button!

I installed the bulb I identified above, the Bulb, Neo-Wedge (14V 80MA) - Honda (35871-SDA-L01). Note that unlike just about every other bulb in the dash, it's not a 40 mA or 60 mA, but an 80 mA bulb. The one I removed had a blue casing but this one was black, IIRC. Perhaps the previous one was only 40 mA, since it had the blue casing like most other 40 mA bulbs, and that's why it was burned out: the circuit sends current expecting there to be an 80 mA bulb and overwhelms a 40 mA bulb there by mistake.

I pretty much used the procedure shown in the video I used for removing the panels when I installed my GTA Car Kit Bluetooth interface.

When I reassembled everything, started the car and turned on the headlights, there shone in all its glory the red illuminated double triangle where before there had been only darkness.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
If you mean the trim around the radio, they're pretty hard the first time you do it, so you have to be a little brave and pry it out with some force. That said, I hope you're using a nylon pry tool and prying it from the back as shown. Also be sure to have a magnet at the ready, not only to get the bolts, but also because you might lose a couple of the metal clip tips as you pry out the trim, so the magnet will help you recover them, hopefully.

A little scary if you've never done it, I can relate, but it does work.

Edit: If you're referring to the the two trim pieces along the side a little lower, below the radio and alongside the climate controls (step 12 in the PDF link to on the first page of this thread), IIRC the same applies:

12. Remove the driver’s and passenger’s center
console trim pieces (three clips each). Take care
not to damage the clips.
Use nylon pry tools, you should not be afraid to give it enough force to pull them out, but also I think you pull the top out and slightly down toward the rear of the vehicle first, then lift up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for this post. I finally did my climate panel after several years trying to push in the dark. I ordered the lights from Amazon $6.89 for 10 (sorry, I can't post link).
The whole process took about 1h considering I removed the trim very first time.

101 - 120 of 136 Posts