Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I change gears from reverse to drive there is an audible clicking noise that occurs. This is not the loud thump that some have mentioned in other posts. Thanks

·
Registered
283 Posts
Only click I can think of::

Does it sound as if it is coming from your steering column? If so it is probably the lock that keeps the shift arm from moving. When you are in park push the brakes on/off a couple times. You will hear a click noise coming from the steering column. This is so you can only change gears while the brake is depressed. There might be a similar thing going from reverse to drive. I have not paid attention to that then

Just an idea, hope it helps

Paul

·
Registered
8 Posts
cllicking sound

I was told today by a Honda salesman, that this is some sort of adjustment the Pilot makes when going from reverse to drive... what else have you heard?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't have this problem with our Pilot. But, I did (and still do) have a similar problem with our 96 Accord. The (very) light clicking sound comes from behind the steering column and it only comes on when the car is in motion and go over some small bumps on the road, and it happens only occasionally. It is more of an annoyance than anything else:( . I figured that if it were really going to cause me any serious problems, the noise will have to get much louder and more consistent. I have had the noise for 6 years now and it has not gotten worse.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Though I ahven't had the rear brakes apart yet, I'd bet that the noise is the parking brake adjusting itself. Mine does this too, and that's what is sounds like to me. Somewhere between a loud click/clank under the car. The reason I suspect brakes is that it happens only when I apply the brakes after a dir change.

My street has a high crown, so when I roll out of my driveway, gravity stops the car at about the middle of the street. I find myself shifing reverse to drive without stepping on the brake. When I do this it doesn't make the noise, but it does when I step ont he brakes at the end of the street.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Though I ahven't had the rear brakes apart yet, I'd bet that the noise is the parking brake adjusting itself. Mine does this too, and that's what is sounds like to me. Somewhere between a loud click/clank under the car. The reason I suspect brakes is that it happens only when I apply the brakes after a dir change.

My street has a high crown, so when I roll out of my driveway, gravity stops the car at about the middle of the street. I find myself shifing reverse to drive without stepping on the brake. When I do this it doesn't make the noise, but it does when I step ont he brakes at the end of the street.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've heard it.

Sit in your driveway with the window down or the door open.
Hold the break and put it in drive. Now go to reverse. You should hear some clicking, clunking, whatever you want to call it.
Go back to drive and you'll hear it again.

Now imagine how many moving parts there are between the back of the engine and the end of the axels.
Do you really think all of these parts can fit together without any clearance? No, they have to have clearance or they won't work correctly.

When changing the direction of the pressure, the slop has to change direction and you get some noise. It's called "backlash".
Pretty standard in the mechanical world. I can show you some mechanical devises that don't have backlash. You can hold them in the palm of your hand and they cost more than the Pilot.
When it quits making the noise, then worry about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts