Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a clicking noise when backing up and applying the brakes and occasionally when I go forward. I did a search did not fingd any posts on clicking suspension noise and that is what it sounds like to me.

Anyone else have this happen or take it to a dealer for info?

I don't think it is the infamous gas slosh.

I don't think it is the brakes "adjusting" as that is what the ancient drum rear brakes uses to do 30 years ago. I don't think disc brakes adjsut while backing up anymore.

I plan to take it to the dealer but it is very hard for me to do so conveniently. It is a sharp metallic sounding click like a bad bushing or the like.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
:) did you forget to disengage the emergency brakes?

·
Registered
316 Posts

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
It's the calipers moving forward or backward the first time you touch the brake pedal after moving in the opposite direction. I consider it normal for Hondas, but some have had their dealer install shims that reduce the caliper movement.

My Pilot didn't do it at first. I remember commenting to the service guys after 3 weeks of ownership during a new owner's orientation that I was surprised that it didn't do it. Later, it started. 16,000+ miles later, no other brake issues have appeared.

·
Registered
2 Posts
CLICKING

Our 2003 Pilot had a clicking noise that sounded like it was coming from the footbrake area. Honda fixed it by adding shims in the front suspension. They said it was due to a weld catching on the front strut.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: CLICKING

atydeman said:
Our 2003 Pilot had a clicking noise that sounded like it was coming from the footbrake area. Honda fixed it by adding shims in the front suspension. They said it was due to a weld catching on the front strut.
The fix wasn't to add shims, it was to remove the strut tower, sand off some metal burrs on a weld, paint the area with touchup paint, and re-install the strut tower. That solved the dash clicking. Some have reported the installation of shims to stop or reduce the caliper noise, but I've not heard of or seen any fix that involved shims in a strut tower.

·
Registered
34 Posts
jay said:
It's the calipers moving forward or backward the first time you touch the brake pedal after moving in the opposite direction. I consider it normal for Hondas, but some have had their dealer install shims that reduce the caliper movement.

My Pilot didn't do it at first. I remember commenting to the service guys after 3 weeks of ownership during a new owner's orientation that I was surprised that it didn't do it. Later, it started. 16,000+ miles later, no other brake issues have appeared.
I hear two very audible clicks when I press the brake pedal for the first time when the vehicle is moving forward after backing out of the garage or a parking space. I've never heard it any other time. Should I be concerned???? I've had the Pilot exactly one year as of today and have driven it 12,000 miles.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
RNPilot said:

I hear two very audible clicks when I press the brake pedal for the first time when the vehicle is moving forward after backing out of the garage or a parking space. I've never heard it any other time. Should I be concerned???? I've had the Pilot exactly one year as of today and have driven it 12,000 miles.
That's the caliper movement you're hearing. I wouldn't worry about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts