Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrote this months ago for a different Honda forum, but I think it could benefit Pilot owners since they have similiar complaints.. I know it has been discussed here before, but it might be able to help out the new members researching this type complaint..

"A "clicking noise" while braking has become quite an issue here lately, cause and remedy have also been discussed but the concern "outweighs" the "reason" and many people automatically label this as a problem, flaw, or bad engineering on Honda's part when its actually a normal working condition of the brake assembly...

So you ask yourself.. "Why do I hear a clicking noise when I initially apply the brakes at slow speeds?"

This is caused from movement of the front brake pads within the caliper bracket assembly.. and is most noticeable when the motion of the vehicle is changed from one direction to the other..i.e. foward to reverse, reverse to foward..

A reason for the excessive clearance between the brake pad and caliper is because it will prevent problems many years down the road... That clicking noise might be annoying now, but it may save you a ton of money and protect your well being in the future....

In most cases(depending on geographical location) your front caliper brackets are going to oxidize and begin to rust... When this happens it will expand the metal in the caliper bracket and that extra "expansion" pressure will directly affect the brake pad or pads itself...

This extra pressure will prevent the pads from moving "freely" causing brake pedal "fade", premature brake pad wear, premature "breakdown" of the brake lube(Molykote) due to extra heat causing caliper pins to become "frozen" within the caliper bracket and not to mention, excessive heat on the front rotors causing them to warp..

How bad can it get?? ... several times I have needed an impact hammer to free up stuck pads and or caliper pins.. trust me, you want these components to move "freely" when you depress the brake pedal for the fact that safety is involved here..

We see this problem today in some of the first gen **** ( other Honda model) and can be a pretty steep repair bill if all mentioned parts require attention...Some of you may have already experienced this first hand..

The "pad shift click" has become quite a hot topic here, but in my honest opinion is blown way out of proportion.

It doesn't mean that the brakes are going to fail or that your suspension is going to fall off your vehicle while driving, it just means the pads are moving "freely" without any restriction, This was intended for effecient braking when needed, This includes your safety and the safety of others on the road....

If it that clicking bothers you that much, then visit the dealer or any of the national brake shop chains and have them coat the front pads and caliper assembly with a molykote, anti-seize or any other type of brake lube, this will "dampen" the noise so it becomes un-noticeable.. its not a big job and should only cost a few bucks.. If the car is still under warranty, then it shouldn't cost you anything at the dealer..but again, it all depends on the dealer...

So next time you hear that clicking, maybe you'll be able to breathe a little easier and understand what is actually happening to cause that click and realize that it isn't a problem eventually enough brake dust and dirt should accumulate to also dampen that "pad shift click" but for the most part, think of it as normal and not a problem..."

BreakStuff

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Hey, BreakStuff, thanks for a detailed and informative explanation on the supposed or perceived problem of the brakes clicking. I thought at one time, this too was a problem, but I decided to live with it. But after reading your post and a few posts on a couple of newsgroups, it made me realize that it's not a problem at all and rather, it was designed for our own benefit.

This is what's more needed for ignorant, neurotic types like me. Detailed info, yet, understandable for laymen like me. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2010 Pilot EXL
60 Posts
So I have a clicking problem, but it is not the pads shifting. I hear a clicking sound when I apply the brakes, even when standing still. The brake pedal goes click click click as though something is ratcheting. The brakes work fine otherwise. Just started today?

·
Registered
23 Posts
So I have a clicking problem, but it is not the pads shifting. I hear a clicking sound when I apply the brakes, even when standing still. The brake pedal goes click click click as though something is ratcheting. The brakes work fine otherwise. Just started today?
Does the noise come from the shifter area?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
So I have a clicking problem, but it is not the pads shifting. I hear a clicking sound when I apply the brakes, even when standing still. The brake pedal goes click click click as though something is ratcheting. The brakes work fine otherwise
assuming it only happens when actively braking....
Have you removed the tire and inspected the brake components? The following are just some things to look at: Sticky or frozen caliper pins? Contaminants on the pads or rotors? Rust on rotors or caliper brackets where the pads reside? ETC

·
Registered
2010 Pilot EXL
60 Posts
Does the noise come from the shifter area?
No, seems to come from under the dash near or part of the brake pedal mechanism.
assuming it only happens when actively braking....
Have you removed the tire and inspected the brake components? The following are just some things to look at: Sticky or frozen caliper pins? Contaminants on the pads or rotors? Rust on rotors or caliper brackets where the pads reside? ETC
Actually it happens when standing still and just stepping on the brakes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No, seems to come from under the dash near or part of the brake pedal mechanism.

Actually it happens when standing still and just stepping on the brakes.
This happens with my 2019 Honda Insight. Every time the brakes are applied it's a switch-like clicking noise from the pedal/dash area. Taking it in to the dealership Wednesday. Will update you once I take it in. Just saw that this post is over 2 weeks old. Did you ever find out what caused the noise?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts