Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Clicking noise on Honda Pilot 2019

585 12
I see a lot of forum posts over time regarding clicking on Pilots and just having to deal with it - but this sounds quite louder than I've seen posted elsewhere. The noise appears when idling, speeds up as I throttle (even on neutral), and disappears once I hit around 1000 rpm. Thoughts if this needs a look/repair or it is what it is? Dealer insists it's normal, but it is extremely loud.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for reporting back to possibly help others! I presume there was no extended warranty. Did you have it fixed at dealer or independent shop? If Dealer maybe you can reach out to Honda with the details. Timing belt parts should not be going bad at 42k. I would probably also file a report to NHTSA to document, possible future issues or resolutions.

What year/trim is your Pilot?
It was out of warranty, 2019 ex-l. Yeah, a bit disappointing that it needed that repair already. I got it done at an independent, trusted shop.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, very early for a tensioner to go out. I've heard of the factory units on occasion failing at like 80k and many years, but never this soon.

Its a shame, as you'd probably have a decent case to get it covered under powertrain warranty if the dealer had diagnosed it and done the repair, but probably not likely with it being done at an indy shop.

Glad you caught it before the tensioner failed and the belt jumped timing! At least it should be good for another 7 years/100k. Did your shop use the well regarded Aisin kit, Honda parts, or another brand?
It was the Aisin kit, which I was told was the right one. Alright, I'll reach to Honda corporate, see how it goes!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts