Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of forum posts over time regarding clicking on Pilots and just having to deal with it - but this sounds quite louder than I've seen posted elsewhere. The noise appears when idling, speeds up as I throttle (even on neutral), and disappears once I hit around 1000 rpm. Thoughts if this needs a look/repair or it is what it is? Dealer insists it's normal, but it is extremely loud.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
While sounds alone are hard to identify, my guess is the emissions canister purge valve clicking and puffing. Unplug it for a few seconds and see if the noise goes away.

Product Hood Automotive design Font Automotive lighting

·
Registered
'22 Pilot Elite, '09 RL RTL, '05 MDX Touring
308 Posts
For some reason, it sounds similar to a noisy serpentine belt tensioner to me, especially from the video taken under the hood and on that side of the engine. You could remove the drive belt and start and run the engine momentarily to rule this out. The water pump is run off the timing belt (which you cannot remove by accident), so you wouldn't need to worry about engine temperature. The only things the serpentine belt runs are the alternator and A/C compressor.

If the noise stops without the belt on, then you know it's something related to something in that belt system -- either the tensioner or a noisy A/C compressor clutch or alternator bearing, etc. If it doesn't stop without the belt on, then you know it's not that and to continue looking elsewhere.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
987 Posts
About 42,000
Thank you for reporting back to possibly help others! I presume there was no extended warranty. Did you have it fixed at dealer or independent shop? If Dealer maybe you can reach out to Honda with the details. Timing belt parts should not be going bad at 42k. I would probably also file a report to NHTSA to document, possible future issues or resolutions.

What year/trim is your Pilot?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for reporting back to possibly help others! I presume there was no extended warranty. Did you have it fixed at dealer or independent shop? If Dealer maybe you can reach out to Honda with the details. Timing belt parts should not be going bad at 42k. I would probably also file a report to NHTSA to document, possible future issues or resolutions.

What year/trim is your Pilot?
It was out of warranty, 2019 ex-l. Yeah, a bit disappointing that it needed that repair already. I got it done at an independent, trusted shop.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Timing belt bad? How did timing belt cause this issue? What did the shop say? Did you ever have check engine light or codes? Did you keep the old belt?
Agreed here that a bad factory timing belt is an exceedingly rare thing to fail before 100k+ miles. There was a very limited recall on some bad belts, but I think that would have shown up as a recall and/or you would have gotten notification.

I think you were/are in the powertrain warranty (5 yrs, 60k miles). I would think anything like bad tensioners, timing belts, or timing issues would be under that warranty.

+1 to reaching out to Honda corporate about this issue to have them investigate. There could be a chance they would cover it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX-L; 2015 Durango Citadel (Hemi AWD)
809 Posts
About 42,000
Wow, very early for a tensioner to go out. I've heard of the factory units on occasion failing at like 80k and many years, but never this soon.

Its a shame, as you'd probably have a decent case to get it covered under powertrain warranty if the dealer had diagnosed it and done the repair, but probably not likely with it being done at an indy shop.

Glad you caught it before the tensioner failed and the belt jumped timing! At least it should be good for another 7 years/100k. Did your shop use the well regarded Aisin kit, Honda parts, or another brand?

·
Registered
78 Posts
+1 the biggest concern now is if your independent shop used 100% genuine OEM replacement parts. Aftermarket timing belts have been known to fail prematurely (<100k miles), and you should be getting 100k+ out of a timing belt job, if done right and with OE parts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, very early for a tensioner to go out. I've heard of the factory units on occasion failing at like 80k and many years, but never this soon.

Its a shame, as you'd probably have a decent case to get it covered under powertrain warranty if the dealer had diagnosed it and done the repair, but probably not likely with it being done at an indy shop.

Glad you caught it before the tensioner failed and the belt jumped timing! At least it should be good for another 7 years/100k. Did your shop use the well regarded Aisin kit, Honda parts, or another brand?
It was the Aisin kit, which I was told was the right one. Alright, I'll reach to Honda corporate, see how it goes!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts