Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found only a few posts on this but has anyone had a dealer fix the light, random tapping(clicking) coming from under the driver's side dash? Sounds like two plastic connectors tapping against one another. This is not to be confused with the more pronounced strut clicks of older VINs.

·
Registered
307 Posts
my clicking turned out to be the strut even though I wasnt one of the older vins, might wanna have them check. It wasnt loud at all, i figured it was wires or something of the like

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good point

I was assuming since my VIN was so far out of the TSB range, it didn't apply. It's weird, like I can reach down and almost grab it. Does that sound like the strut weld ticking?

·
Registered
389 Posts
My clicking noise turned out to be an idle pulley. Too lazy to search and paste thread on my idle noise problem w/c got fixed.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm having the same problem! We bought my (wife's) Pilot on 9/13-a sagebrush pearl metallic (great color) EX-L RES. Love the truck. The tapping is getting on my nerves. I thought it might be a loose brake component, because it seemed to stop when I was breaking. I don't think it does that now. We're going to the dealer on Monday so I'll try to deal with it then.

·
Registered
307 Posts
MDX you are describing the sound that i had, it was the strut unfortunatly, maybe youll be lucky and it will be something else, but I would have them check it out, My vin is way past as well, I think the welder with the problem had a bit of a relapse.... I was pretty sure it wasnt the strut from the way it sounded, but i was wrong

·
Registered
94 Posts
On mine it was wire hitting each other inside the dash on the driver's side. I believe they wrapped them in rubber to fix it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to hear

Glad someone had something other than the strut problem. Ironically, my problem has gone away. I was going to bring it in but not now- they'll think I'm whacked. I'll just have to see if it happens again. In the meanwhile, I'll check out under the dash looking for plastic connectors that mey be tapping against one another.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Clicking or tapping noise I'm getting is coming behind the glove box. It sounds like metal flexing when you push your thumb on the outside of a coke can and it pops back out. :3: I found the noise is coming form where the glove box is connected to the dash board (left side) that the two pieces of metal are flexing and making a clicking or tapping noise that I've been unable to fix. I've tightened the two screws down that connect the glove box to the dash board with no success. I'm going to try putting duct tape between the two pieces of metal to stop the noise.

It seems like tape is the answer to a lot of our problems.

Painters tape on the door to stop the scrunch sound.
Duct tape behind glove box to stop the clicking.
Tape to stop wires from hitting each other under the dash board.
Electric tape to stop the air deflector from whistling.

Next thing we hear is that we have to use tape to tighten the “stretchy” leather seats!!!!

When in doubt use TAPE!!! It’s a wonderful invention!!!! :2:

·
Registered
136 Posts
pilot4me said:
Clicking or tapping noise I'm getting is coming behind the glove box. It sounds like metal flexing when you push your thumb on the outside of a coke can and it pops back out. :3: I found the noise is coming form where the glove box is connected to the dash board (left side) that the two pieces of metal are flexing and making a clicking or tapping noise that I've been unable to fix. I've tightened the two screws down that connect the glove box to the dash board with no success. I'm going to try putting duct tape between the two pieces of metal to stop the noise.

When in doubt use TAPE!!! It’s a wonderful invention!!!! :2:
Regarding this noise---
I have something similar and may be the same. It only happens once in a while, but when it does it is load. The first time I heard the load ping , I thought a rock hit my window. It sound like it is coming from the passenger side of the vehicle. Not sure if it is behind the glove box or in the wheel well. I thought I may have run over a rock and it was bouncing around the from the tire but I don't think it was this. Any suggestions from anyone to which sound I have???????
Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
99 Posts
sandman - open your glove box when you hear the sound and hold the left side down firm to surpress any movement. If the sound goes away then it's the metal pieces holding the glove box to the dash. I took the glove box off and wrapped each metal piece with duct tape, reattached the glove box.... no poppin sound!!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
ping or pop sound

Just a question,
i have not narrowed down when i hear the sound, but I think it is after I have been driving and then park it for a short while and then get in and go again. The sound does sound sort of like a soda can popping out ?? It does not last long enough to open the glove box and push on one side. It almost sounds as if it is coming from the passenger side door area or door jam, but not sure since I have the cd player going . I will drive it next with no cd on and see if I can notice anything else. Anyone else hear anything like this?? Sound travels sometimes so it may be the glove box.
Thanks,
Bob :8: :8: :8: :8:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re: good point

MDXlite said:
I was assuming since my VIN was so far out of the TSB range, it didn't apply. It's weird, like I can reach down and almost grab it. Does that sound like the strut weld ticking?
MDXlite...your post is the only one I've found that sounds exactly the same as what I'm experiencing. They guys at my shop "say" they can't even really hear it. They replaced the doors seals when I pointed the tsb out to them. The problem is still occuring though. I'm about to take a long trip and if that small noise starts it will drive me nuts for 1500 miles! Did you ever figure this out? I'm about to head over to harbor frieght to buy an auto stethoscope for $4.99 to help me pinpoint the problem. To bad the Honda guys can't do their job...like always have to do half of it yourself and hand it to them on a silver platter. If it wasn't under warranty and I was paying, I bet they'd hear the noise. : )

·
Registered
95 Posts
Re: Re: good point

sean said:

MDXlite...your post is the only one I've found that sounds exactly the same as what I'm experiencing. They guys at my shop "say" they can't even really hear it. They replaced the doors seals when I pointed the tsb out to them. The problem is still occuring though. I'm about to take a long trip and if that small noise starts it will drive me nuts for 1500 miles! Did you ever figure this out? I'm about to head over to harbor frieght to buy an auto stethoscope for $4.99 to help me pinpoint the problem. To bad the Honda guys can't do their job...like always have to do half of it yourself and hand it to them on a silver platter. If it wasn't under warranty and I was paying, I bet they'd hear the noise. : )
Sean, just caught your rreply to Mdxlite. His description of the noise from under the dashboard sounds exactly how I described the noise I was experiencing to the service guy at honda dlr. After a tech rode with me he new right away that the subtle and vague but irritating clicking was indeed the strut and was fixed about 8 mos. ago never to return. 5/03 build. HTH

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yesterday I took my Pilot in for it's 7500 mile service. I had them do the shims for the brake clunk, and I mentioned that I was hearing a little clicking noise from the dash. Gave them a copy of the strut weld TSB and said I didn't know is that was what the problem was, but to please check it out.

When they called to tell me it was ready to pick up, they informed me they had replaced both front struts, that they were responsible for the noise.

Cool thing is this dealer has been VERY accomodating about issues I bring up. I have now had all the door seals replaced, the brake shims and the struts, and not once have they made me prove to them that the issues existed. Just took my word for it and fixed them. That's how it ought to be, but oftentimes not.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I am having this clicking sound now! It sounds like it is coming from inside the dash, kind of by the interior light "on" "off" switch. It is so annoying and I hear it all the time. Advice?

·
Registered
681 Posts
6 sources of annoying clicking noises that I have previously discovered:

1. Loose sunglasses in the overhead sunglass holder compartment

2. Loose sun visor

3. CD cases slapping together in the center console

4. CD storage cases in the door pocket

5. Coins in the center console

6. Loose pen in the center storage (sliding door) compartment

Eliminate the obvious, then worry about the more complex...like loose wires behind the dash or a loose screw.

:cool:

·
Registered
360 Posts
My clicking noise was coming from under the front of the vehicle, and was pronounced when it was bouncing off something, like when driving past other cars in a parking lot, or next to a building. My service advisor walked/jogged beside the car as I drove it and he heard it coming from the left and right front tires. When they put the car up to look at it, they said that there was some kind of "white grease" that dealers use for something or another (I forget) when the car is being prepped for delivery and it was all over some part of the wheel where it shouldn't have been. They cleaned it up and I haven't heard the click since.

·
Registered
311 Posts
White Grease

I recently removed several long wind swept lines of white grease from both doors and the front wheel well lip on the driver's side and aft of the rear wheel on the passenger side. Wonder where it's coming from?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts