Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2009 EX-L 4WD and have recently inherited a cliking noise from under the center console, it lasts for roughly 15 to 20 seconds then goes away, doesn't matter what is on and doesn't seem to cause any other issues...any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Clicking Noise from Center Console

It is located on the Drivers side of the console. I was able to remove mine, disassemble it and grease it and clean the contacts on the motor and it works fine now. I removed the side panel of the console after removed the back cover which has the AC control and ducts, The side panel is attached with a couple of screws and the rest are spring clips. The screws are hidden behind other panels so there is a proper order to the whole disassembly. If you're not mechanically inclined, then it might not be a good idea to tackle this yourself. I couldn't find a youtube video for the 2nd gen, but there is one for the first gen Pilot console disassembly which is very similar. Auto part Engine Machine Metal

The pic has the part number on it. It was like $45 at dealer or $20ish on RockAuto if i remember correctly. However, they are fairly easy to disassemble and put back together. I broke a couple of the tabs, but the mounting screws also hold the unit together so its been working fine now for about a month.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you have to remove the driver's seat to access this part? Can you provide more detailed step by step instructions on how to remove the side panel of the console. Thanks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
yes, removing the driver's seat is necessary. there are two possible motors - one expensive and one cheaper. I had a bad cheaper one so I would suggest pulling it apart so you can feel which one is making the noise and you can source the correct part. For my 09 LX the "cheaper" part number was 79260-SZA-305 and it is found under Electrical / Exhaust / Heater / Fuel > Rear Heater Unit as part #12. The other motor is #18.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This ia happening to my 2011 Honda Pilot at 132k milage clicking noise at the center console which last for 20-30 seconds. I hear this before around February, 2018 after a couple of days my batery got dead, this is the first time i repalce my battery at 120k. After replacing it the noise from the center console was gone,, only now in September that came back.

I am not mechanically inclined, is there any video on how to remove or dis-assemble the center console. Really appreciate and thank you.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I did find some videos on getting the top part of the molding off. My advice is that if you admit that you are not mechanically inclined then I would source the part and get a mechanic to do the repair. My guess is it would pay no more than 2 hours so depending on the shop rates in your area so less than $200 or so?

·
Registered
2 Posts

It is located on the Drivers side of the console. I was able to remove mine, disassemble it and grease it and clean the contacts on the motor and it works fine now. I removed the side panel of the console after removed the back cover which has the AC control and ducts, The side panel is attached with a couple of screws and the rest are spring clips. The screws are hidden behind other panels so there is a proper order to the whole disassembly. If you're not mechanically inclined, then it might not be a good idea to tackle this yourself. I couldn't find a youtube video for the 2nd gen, but there is one for the first gen Pilot console disassembly which is very similar. View attachment 114049 .

The pic has the part number on it. It was like $45 at dealer or $20ish on RockAuto if i remember correctly. However, they are fairly easy to disassemble and put back together. I broke a couple of the tabs, but the mounting screws also hold the unit together so its been working fine now for about a month.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2004 Pilot and the same thing is happening. I am very mechanically inclined and am confident I can fix this with your advice. Can you send me the links to the you tube videos on the one you mentioned? Any other advice would be appreciated as well

·
Registered
2010 Pilot EX-L, 2005 Odyssey EX-L
11 Posts
I was able to take my center console apart on my 2010 EXL RES without removing the seat. I took off more than necessary, and you're right - just take off the rear A/C control panel, then the lower left center console panel.
3 screws hold the mixer motor in. 79260-SZA-305 lists for over $130, and you can order them for around $85.
I took mine apart following one of the videos on Youtube. There are several versions of this assembly with different arms on the same basic motor/gearbox. There are two for the rear heat and A/C. This one, the arm is glued on or something so you can't completely take it apart to clean it. I did the best I could with angled tweezers then applied dielectric grease. There may be better greases for this application. Put it back in and it tested fine. Ran through various rear heat / A/C settings and it seemed to have no problem positioning. Main thing is the rapid fire plastic gear skipping sound when I start the engine is gone.

·
Registered
21 Posts

It is located on the Drivers side of the console. I was able to remove mine, disassemble it and grease it and clean the contacts on the motor and it works fine now. I removed the side panel of the console after removed the back cover which has the AC control and ducts, The side panel is attached with a couple of screws and the rest are spring clips. The screws are hidden behind other panels so there is a proper order to the whole disassembly. If you're not mechanically inclined, then it might not be a good idea to tackle this yourself. I couldn't find a youtube video for the 2nd gen, but there is one for the first gen Pilot console disassembly which is very similar. View attachment 114049 .

The font mixer is basically the same but easier to access from the drivers side. 4 screws and an electrical connector. The front mixer has a double action arm which took a bit of creative thinking to figure out. If you’re not mechanical, I wouldn’t attempt it because if you get it wrong, you’ll probably break it.
the locking tabs are numerous and fragile, so be patient, although the mounting screws will hold the thing together, so if you break a couple like I did, no worries. I used dielectric grease on the rear several months ago and it’s been working fine, I used a special marine grade dielectric called NoOx on the front one and it is also functioning perfectly with no more “hunting”

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2009 EX-L 4WD and have recently inherited a cliking noise from under the center console, it lasts for roughly 15 to 20 seconds then goes away, doesn't matter what is on and doesn't seem to cause any other issues...any ideas? Thanks in advance.
I have a 2011 Honda Pilot and it makes the the center console noise …. Yet I figured out how to fix …. Once it makes the noise …. Just raise the driver temperature all the way to HI and then noise goes away …. Then after noise goes away lower the driver side temperature control back to Lo …. Noise is gone !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts