Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a clicking noise on my new Pilot from the front driver's side of the car, especially when going over bumps. Just noticed it today after having the car a few days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
I must admit that there are occasional loud noises from the passenger's seat when I'm driving, but it only happens when my wife is riding with me :D.

No such noise here through the first 500 miles, ablatt - sounds like a warranty visit to the service shop is in the offing.

ablatt said:
I get a clicking noise on my new Pilot from the front driver's side of the car, especially when going over bumps. Just noticed it today after having the car a few days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I have an EXLNavi that made the same noise. The dealer was very helpful in the resolution. It had to do with the strut. It took about 1 hour in to out to complete.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
Can someone explain the "loud noise" in a little bit more detail, please. I have not heard it in ours but just wanted to know. I must admit though we have not gone on any long drives yet.

celey said:
I have an EXLNavi that made the same noise. The dealer was very helpful in the resolution. It had to do with the strut. It took about 1 hour in to out to complete.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
UH, OH.......

Several looooooooong threads (link to one below) in the acuramdx form about a related disease in the MDX, came to be named T.H.U.D. Hope that we don't have the same thing cooking in the Pilot..........

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1719


03pilot said:
Can someone explain the "loud noise" in a little bit more detail, please. I have not heard it in ours but just wanted to know. I must admit though we have not gone on any long drives yet.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
This is the same noise that the Odyssey has had and it is cause by a spot weld on the underside of the strut tower. It protrudes sightly so that the top of the strut does not sit flush. The fix is to remove the strut grind the weld flush, coat it with touch up paint, then reinstall the strut. I would have thought that Honda would have taken care of this on the Pilot because it has been on the Odyssey for a couple of years now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I think I have this THUD / Strut problem on my new Pilot. I hear a clicking noise, mostly when going over bumps. I made a service appointment and I am going to give them the information about checking the strut weld. I'll report back after they try to fix it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
Does anyone know, on the MDX, was this THUD problem on a particular batch of cars built around the same period ? I am really surprised that if it was an issue with the MDX and Odyssey then how come it wasn't fixed on the Pilots. Oh well..... hope not too many people find this problem.

Is this something that the local Honda dealers are familiar with or are they going to pretend like they heard this the first time when a customer mentions it.

Steve01 said:
I think I have this THUD / Strut problem on my new Pilot. I hear a clicking noise, mostly when going over bumps. I made a service appointment and I am going to give them the information about checking the strut weld. I'll report back after they try to fix it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
The best description I can give is when playing with a empty soda can and it makes a metallic click or pop
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Clicking noise

I have the clicking noise also (almost sounds like the directional signal, but definitely coming from around the drivers floor area or more toward the engine). I can't get my Pilot in to check on this for a while so will be interested in hearing if it was solved by the same approach used in the Odyssey.
 

·
Admin Du Jour ®
Joined
·
989 Posts
03pilot said:
Does anyone know, on the MDX, was this THUD problem on a particular batch of cars built around the same period ? I am really surprised that if it was an issue with the MDX and Odyssey then how come it wasn't fixed on the Pilots. Oh well..... hope not too many people find this problem.

Is this something that the local Honda dealers are familiar with or are they going to pretend like they heard this the first time when a customer mentions it.

"The Thud" on the MDX board was limited to an early VIN range of '01s and was solved on the assembly line. The Thud was a loud metal-on-metal POP as opposed to a more subtle clicking.

There have been a few reports of "clicking" which, as some of you have surmised, required "massaging the welds".

I would focus on the latter (clicking and welds) at this point:

massaged the body welds around the left strut tower area
"removed the left front shock tower assembly, ground down burs on spot welds, greased the surface and then reinstalled the shock"

We haven't had the problem since they did this fix. It sounds like the same fix as "massaging the welds".
THE FIX IS DONE NOT BY MASSAGING THE WELD POINTS , BUT BY GRINDING THEM DOWN. tHIS IN NO WAY AFFECT THE STRENGTH OF THE COMPONENT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
Thanks Worm. Good to know that this might not be the dreaded "THUD' problem.

TheWorm said:

"The Thud" on the MDX board was limited to an early VIN range of '01s and was solved on the assembly line. The Thud was a loud metal-on-metal POP as opposed to a more subtle clicking.

There have been a few reports of "clicking" which, as some of you have surmised, required "massaging the welds".

I would focus on the latter (clicking and welds) at this point:



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Oh NO, not the semi-dreaded "CAW"! :13: (clicking and welds)


;)

03pilot said:
Thanks Worm. Good to know that this might not be the dreaded "THUD' problem.

TheWorm said:

"The Thud" on the MDX board was limited to an early VIN range of '01s and was solved on the assembly line. There have been a few reports of "clicking" which, as some of you have surmised, required "massaging the welds".

I would focus on the latter (clicking and welds) at this point:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I just got my Pilot back from being serviced and so far it appears that my clicking noise is totally gone.

My repair report says: Removed strut and ground off weld and reinstalled strut.

I gave the dealership the info that I found online about the clicking noise and how to fix it. The dealership said it was a tremendous help. I don't think they were familiar with the problem and the fix for it.

In my Pilot I found that the clicking was the worst on a hot dry day when turning the car to the left and driving over slight bumps. Hopefully it's fixed for good and I wont have to report otherwise. That noise was subtle but very annoying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
Steve: Glad you got your Pilot fixed. Just curious who was the dealer that performed this service. Anyone in the Bay Area ?

Steve01 said:
I just got my Pilot back from being serviced and so far it appears that my clicking noise is totally gone.

My repair report says: Removed strut and ground off weld and reinstalled strut.

I gave the dealership the info that I found online about the clicking noise and how to fix it. The dealership said it was a tremendous help. I don't think they were familiar with the problem and the fix for it.

In my Pilot I found that the clicking was the worst on a hot dry day when turning the car to the left and driving over slight bumps. Hopefully it's fixed for good and I wont have to report otherwise. That noise was subtle but very annoying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
03pilot said:
Steve: Glad you got your Pilot fixed. Just curious who was the dealer that performed this service. Anyone in the Bay Area ?


Nope, I got it fixed on the other side of the country. Autopark Honda in Cary NC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
I think I heard those clicking noises on our Pilot today too. Exactly like Steve mentioned. Mostly when turning and going over slight bumps. I noticed only today (at about 500 miles) for the first time and it does sound like the turn signals. I guess I am due for a dealer visit.

Any other people have this problem and got it fixed besides Steve ?

Steve01 said:



Nope, I got it fixed on the other side of the country. Autopark Honda in Cary NC.
 
1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Top