Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a good bit of searching and calling around, I think I have finally found a clear air deflector for the Pilot. Its called the Lund Interceptor www.lundlook.com and is a custom designed, wrap-round, no drill type.

Does anyone here have any prior experience with Lund products in general and their air deflectors specifically?

Now if only I can find a retailer who carries the product...

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Is there a Leonard's Buildings and Truck Caps dealer in your area? They sell the Lund stuff, but may have to order it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lund Clear Air Deflector - Installed

Finally, after two long months, I managed to locate a Lund Clear Air Deflector for my Starlight Silver Pilot. :) I special ordered it from a local shop specializing in trucks (thanks Jay) and got round to installing it over the weekend after I had fixed up a paint chip and Zainoed the hood.

The deflector is the Interceptor model by Lund and requires no drilling (they provide four screws that goes into existing holes in the hood). Installation was quite easy and took a total of about 15 minutes. It does help to have someone hold the deflector up while screwing it in.

The deflector is a rigid stand-off design and stays a considerable distance from the hood. It thus does not require any bump-ons and allows easy access to clean, dry and Zaino all parts of the hood. :p

So far, the deflector is working well. I took a quick spin in the Pilot and managed to get up to 70MPH without any wind noise. Hopefully it will now help reduce all those rock chips ! :cool:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clear Deflector seen from the front...

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
... from the Side ...

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
... from slightly behind .... (notice how the deflector stands off from the hood)

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
... and finally specially for Jay, looking out over the hood from the driver's seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
yolk said:
... and finally specially for Jay, looking out over the hood from the driver's seat.
Thanks very much for that special shot. Great photos of the deflector.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Re: Lund Clear Air Deflector - Installed

yolk said:
Finally, after two long months, I managed to locate a Lund Clear Air Deflector for my Starlight Silver Pilot. :)
Yolk,

The Lund deflector looks very nice! May I ask how much you paid for it? I just ordered a Weathertech on Friday night... maybe I can cancel the order.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys ! :p

The Lund deflector itself costs $60. However, the trick is finding a shop that carries its. In my search, a few places like Pepboys and other smaller independent shops had them in their computers at the price. However, their warehouse do not carry it. Apparently the story is if their warehouse carries it, it will be at $60, otherwise, it will have to be special ordered directly from Lund. In my case, the shop I went to charged me an additional $25 for the special order and shipping and handling fee.

·
Registered
84 Posts
yolk said:
Thanks guys ! :p

The Lund deflector itself costs $60. However, the trick is finding a shop that carries its. In my search, a few places like Pepboys and other smaller independent shops had them in their computers at the price. However, their warehouse do not carry it. Apparently the story is if their warehouse carries it, it will be at $60, otherwise, it will have to be special ordered directly from Lund. In my case, the shop I went to charged me an additional $25 for the special order and shipping and handling fee.
Nicest one I've seen yet! ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Source for Lund Deflector

I just ordered a clear Lund Bug Deflector from eTruckAccessories.com, specifically: eTruck Accessories.com. It was $63 + $17 shipping.

I've had a Lund deflector on my Chevy pickup for 2 years now, and it's been great.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Lund

I just ordered my Lund Interceptor saturday from Pepboys. Should have it this week, $63.00.

:29:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Lund

Art said:
I just ordered my Lund Interceptor saturday from Pepboys. Should have it this week, $63.00.

Art, Did you get the clear version ? Two months ago, I called a number of Pepboys but they all kept telling me that their special orders dept could not get clear version :3:

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Re: Re: Lund

yolk said:

Art, Did you get the clear version ? Two months ago, I called a number of Pepboys but they all kept telling me that their special orders dept could not get clear version :3:
No, I got the smoke.....I hope I can pick it up tomorrow. Not sure about the clear. BTW, your pics helped me decide on the make of deflector I wanted...thanks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Glad to be able to help ! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am interested in getting a Lund interceptor and was interested in more details on how it is installed. Sounds like there are 4 screws that mount to the underside of the hood. Is it permanent once you attach the screws or can it be removed fairly easily without causing any permanent damage to the existing hood? Thanks

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mokano,

You're right, there are four screws that secure the deflector to the underside of the hood using existing holes:

- Two of the screws (side ones) are plastic screws/hook (you put in the plastic stub into the hole and then put a screw into them). There are similar to those currently used to attach the weather stripping to the hood.
- Two of the screws (middle ones) are so called 'sheet metal' screws. These are much stronger and screw directly into the hood.

All of the screws goes to the underside and there is no need for brackets (which I believe cover a little bit of the top of the hood) that other products have.

All the screws are easily removable. I had called up Lund before my purchase and they advised that while the screws are easily removable, one should not be removing them with any frequency.

One other thing is that the two side screws take the place of the last weather stripping securing points (think there are like 6-7 of these points), so the ends of the weather stripping are not quite secured to the hood. This is not a problem at all since once you close the hood, the weather stripping is clamped very tightly down. An alternative is to secure the end of the weather stripping to the underside of the deflector using double sided tape but I did not find this necessary at all since I have had the deflector for more than a month with no issues at all.

·
Registered
422 Posts
To anyone who has installed an air deflector: has there been any noticable impact on gas mileage? Thanks,

Larry

1 - 20 of 59 Posts