Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips on cleaning ink (from one of those "sharpie" permanent markers) from the leather seat? If it matters, it is blue ink on a grey seat.

Good news is I did it myself so no one else to get mad at.

Thanks.

-pilotdude

·
Registered
919 Posts
I would say to do a search here:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/index.php

but you may have to wait awhile. They are still having problems after losing data and restoring from older backups. Those guys would definitely know, if anyone. A Sharpie, though. That might be a tough call.

Chris

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
My Guess

I bet you can lighten it abit with a solvent like Alcohol or acetone, but will probably lift some of the finish.
Those markers are called permenant for a good reason.

I would put a few dabs of marker on an old leather belt and then try everything in the house/hardware store and see what does best before trying on the car.

THEN, try a dab on a spot on the leather out of sight (hard to do, since most non-seating surfaces are vinel.

Or try a high end auto restoration shop.

They will probably sugest dabbing a bit of leather dye (paint) over the mark.

Good luck

·
Registered
494 Posts
pilotdude,
Back in the days when I cleaned carpets and upholstery for a living, we would use a product from a janitorial supply. It's been a long time since I've done that. I don't even remember the products name, but I do remember that it was a type of solvent that worked on permanant markers, but I don't know how it will affect the leather or the padding under the leather.
You might want to check first with the autopia site, if you can't find what you need there. Then contact a local janitorial supply or maybe even try contacting Honda.

Good Luck,

:4:

·
Registered
260 Posts
The maker of the Sharpies recommends a product called Amodex, hard to find and expensive but it works. If you put ANYTHING else on the stain prior to the Amodex you are usually screwed. It is not a solvent but a lanolin based product. It really works, got Sharpie out of my ex's headliner and console in a 2001 Honda Accord, long story there, vandalism. :(
Go to http://www.sanford.com/sanford/consumer/jhtml/help/sanford_help_95.jhtml to read more or do a search for Amodex.

Al

·
Registered
258 Posts
You need to try this, first try hair spray, you'll be surprized it's worked for me be sure to wipe it up before it dries. Handi wipes works sometimes too, but try the hair spray first.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Try Reduran

It is an ink remover for your skin, but I've used it on leather before, you just have to have some water ready to dilute it once it goes into action. WWW.stoke.de

·
Registered
260 Posts
Mr Clean Eraser! :29:

A bought a new Acura TL last week with parchment interior and somehow already got ink on the driver seat. The Mr Clean Magic Eraser works great on most non-shiny surfaces so decided to give it a try and it took the ink right off the leather.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just use rubbing alcohol or hairspray which is alcohol based. You can get rubbing alcohol at the grocery store in the pharmacy section. Will take it out completely.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Cutical remover works like a champ. It may require multiple applications to get it all out however.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts