Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks...

Just wondering if anyone has chromed their existing rims. My wife is thinking of getting it chromed - but we don't know the first thing to do about getting the rims chromed.......

If someone has chromed their EX rims....please do share your pic.

Any tips? Thanks.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Proceed with EXTREME caution!

While it certainly possible to have wheel successfully chromed, there MANY MANY pitfalls to doing so.

First, the number of people capable of successfully perform ing chrome plating shrinks daily. There alot of toxic chemicals used in plating and most shops have found it too costly to stay around. There is alot of manual labor involved too. Basically the wheel has to be manually pre-polished, then polished after each of the layers of 'base metal' before the final chrome layers are plated on. Failure to do this properly means the chrome will NOT stick!

Second, even if ALL the steps are done correctly, there is high probality that road salt and/or other chemical agents or even 'mechanical' problems like a scratch from a curb or gravel will cause the chrome to flake off. The reason is that typically a wheel designed to be chrome-plated is made with a more porous surface so that the chrome "grips" the metal. Platers can treat the wheels with acids to help make them more porous. They can grit blast them too. BUT they generally DO NOT, as this makes the wheel more fragile, and the last thing they want is the wheel to bust. It is one thing to chrome-up some trim, but a wheel is stressed component and that is a safety issue.

Third -- COST. For all the effort in getting the factory wheels done in a really professional way, you probably need about at least 2-3 days of hard work. Factor in the materials & hazard waste fees and it is easy to see how this translates into a HEFTY price.

You'd really be better off buying aftermarket wheels!

·
Registered
36 Posts
gap4jason said:
Folks...

Just wondering if anyone has chromed their existing rims. My wife is thinking of getting it chromed - but we don't know the first thing to do about getting the rims chromed.......

If someone has chromed their EX rims....please do share your pic.

Any tips? Thanks.
I had both my 2000 3.2 TL and my 2001 MDX wheels chromed.

Here is my MDX

Here is my 3.2TL

Got both sets of wheels from a guy in Cali (Hawthorne 90250) via eBay. His user name is [email protected] and he sells all types of OEM wheels.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info and pictures guys!!! That MDX looks fierce with the chrome rims....it's awesome!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts