Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just FYI... I was doing some research on this a week ago, and I found that all of them (xpel, chip gard, clear bra, ect.) are made from the same product, 3M ScotchCal. Some of them are cut differently, and may include more/less pieces than others, but they are the same product.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Has anyone braved an installlation on their own or have they used a professional installer.

If someone did it on their own how did it come out?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Same material but....

Some are thicker than others. Also some curve under the hood and protect the front edge while others stop 1/8" short of the front lip of the hood. Each says theirs is the best. :( I would like some info on any that have been installed, even on other cars. Help.:confused: Also Stonegard.com has some interesting comments; but they are the most expensive I have seen:eek:

·
Registered
166 Posts
How does this product compare?

Saw this in the Cabela's catalog - dont' think they'll every have floor or cargo mats, but this doesn't seem like a bad price (and it's 12-feet long!).

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
Am I the the only one who thinks that the prices they are asking for these plastic/rubber sheets are outrageous? $150? $259? Are these installed prices? Man, that is a racket.

·
Registered
920 Posts
r_hammel said:
Am I the the only one who thinks that the prices they are asking for these plastic/rubber sheets are outrageous? $150? $259? Are these installed prices? Man, that is a racket.
It is a racket...

I had mine done (just the hood part of the nose) for $150. There is a certain amount of skill involved...Is it worth $150 or more??? I guess that depends on how much you dislike rock chips on the front of your hood...

It's not as easy to put on as one might think. Plus, due to the deep contours of the Pilot's hood, you are bound to teeny, tiny "stretch marks" on the parts where the there a deep dips on the hood.

BTW, the dealer wanted $249. I contacted the guy directly and saved $100. When I showed my Dad what I had done he was surprised that just to cover the front part of the hood was $150…

·
Registered
31 Posts
It may seen that those clear films are over priced. However, you do get what you paid for. There are only a few reputable company who manufacture those film since there is a great technology behind the film and the adhesives.

3M and Avery are the two most reputable manufacturers. They not only have to guaranteed the film doesn't fade (yellowish) under the sun for a certain period of time, they have to guaranteed that it will really protect your car. The adhesive they use on these films also have some great technology behind them.

As a result, there is a well controlled price market for those films. Any Joe will not be able to obtain those quality film without some connection to the distributors. A roll comes in 40 yards by 48" (I think) and they cost close to 4 figures if not more.

I just had one custom installed on my other car since I had a custom grill and a front lip. It cost me $750 for that setup. I think is worth it since I no longer have to worry about paint chips and dings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts