Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the proper way to ck your tranny fluid??? Are you supposed to have the car running?

Also, how many of you are planning to do the "triple flush" when you change your tranny fluid?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,113 Posts
RipRocK said:
Sorry, I don't have any answers for you, but what's a "triple flush"? thanks.
I'm sure Kemo will post that page of the manual. The owner's manual recommends a triple flush when you have to use non-Honda fluid in emergencies. A triple flush is like a "shampoo, rinse, repeat." You drain the fluid, refill the fluid, drive around the block, drain the fluid, refill the fluid, drive around the block, and finally, drain the fluid, refill the fluid, and drive around the block. Then do a final check of the fluid level. I'm sure the idea is to circulate enough fluid through the system to get all the non-Honda stuff out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My understanding is that the triple flush is not just for non-Honda ATF fluid...it's for ALL Honda tranny drians and fills-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,113 Posts
It's described on page 293 of your owner's manual. You check the fluid with the engine at normal operating temp, but shut off. The triple flush part only applies when you topped up the fluid with non-Honda fluid.

If you never topped off with non-Honda fluid, you need only drain and refill at the recommended intervals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,113 Posts
Since we've had our recent Dr. Suess readings, isn't it time for a little Tony Orlando and Dawn:

Flush three times, like a dealer if you want toooooo,
Twice if you like, who's gonna knowwwww.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Kemo!!!

Do you have the service manual???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,953 Posts
Re: Hey Kemo!!!

MG Pilot said:
Do you have the service manual???
IMO the picture is from the owners manual which everone should have!!:rolleyes: y
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,190 Posts
Re: Hey Kemo!!!

MG Pilot said:
Do you have the service manual???
Sorry, MG Pilot, but I haven't forked over the $70 that Helm Incorporated wants for it yet... Perhaps in the near future, I'll get it, but I don't have it now... :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,388 Posts
kemosabe said:
Only 354 more pages to scan in... :D
LOL. I wonder how big a file it'll end up being if you did scan in every single page of the manual. I've always wondered why Honda or other car companies don't let the owners view the manual online. It'd be so convinient.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
RipRocK said:
I've always wondered why Honda or other car companies don't let the owners view the manual online. It'd be so convinient.
DUH!
They need a company to print the manual for them. They need to get it to lots of shops. They don't want to futz with it nore spend any $$ doing it.

If it was on line, very few copies would be sold, the copies that are sold would then be very expensive. Not a good solution.

Every try to surf from page 654 in the service manual to page 294 in the ETM then refer to page 726 in the Transmission manual ON-LINE (with greasy hands)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
jay said:
The triple flush part only applies when you topped up the fluid with non-Honda fluid.

If you never topped off with non-Honda fluid, you need only drain and refill at the recommended intervals.
I would also do the tripple flush any time the fluid is changed due to any reason other than normal maintenance.

E.G.
1. If the fluid color or odor has changed in a way that makes you want to change the fluid.
2. If the transmission is subjected to a depth of water that might indicate possible water contamination.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,113 Posts
N_Jay said:


I would also do the tripple flush any time the fluid is changed due to any reason other than normal maintenance.

E.G.
1. If the fluid color or odor has changed in a way that makes you want to change the fluid.
2. If the transmission is subjected to a depth of water that might indicate possible water contamination.
Excellent point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,388 Posts
N_Jay said:
DUH!
They need a company to print the manual for them. They need to get it to lots of shops. They don't want to futz with it nore spend any $$ doing it.

If it was on line, very few copies would be sold, the copies that are sold would then be very expensive. Not a good solution.

Every try to surf from page 654 in the service manual to page 294 in the ETM then refer to page 726 in the Transmission manual ON-LINE (with greasy hands)?
No, no, I was talking about the owner's manual. The page kemosabe scanned in is from the owner's manual, not from some service manual, thus through association, I just said "the manual", since I thought that it'd be assumed that I was talking about the owner's manual and not some other one.
 

·
Admin Du Jour ®
Joined
·
989 Posts
RipRocK said:

No, no, I was talking about the owner's manual. The page kemosabe scanned in is from the owner's manual, not from some service manual, thus through association, I just said "the manual", since I thought, through association, it'd be assumed that I was talking about the owner's manual and not some other one.
You can download the manual in PDF format from the Ownerlink website. Not really "online" access w/hyperlinks and all, but it'd at least be searchable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,388 Posts
TheWorm said:
You can download the manual in PDF format from the Ownerlink website. Not really "online" access w/hyperlinks and all, but it'd at least be searchable.
Oh, thanks for letting me know about this. It's just as good as an online one though. I'll go check it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,190 Posts
TheWorm said:
You can download the manual in PDF format from the Ownerlink website. Not really "online" access w/hyperlinks and all, but it'd at least be searchable.
Am I missing something? Looks like you can only order it -- the manual doesn't appear to be available online at the OwnerLink site... :(
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,388 Posts
kemosabe said:
Am I missing something? Looks like you can only order it -- the manual doesn't appear to be available online at the OwnerLink site... :(
Yeah, doesn't seem like there's a copy of the manual in any form on that site. Oh, well...get back to your scanning, kemo! Just kidding, man. :D That'd take ages. May be I can charm an extra one out of my dealer.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top