·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 EX-L AWD ....

Now at 75K miles, but, MM has only ever come on for
oil life.

Nothing for trans fluid, or diff (rear?) fluid ... (I don't
know if brake or p/s fluid has reminders).

Is there a way to check when it might ping those?

And, how do I know MM is alive and well?

Want to get anything upcoming nice and fresh before winter!

Thank you.

·
Registered
289 Posts
AFAIK, there is no way for owners to query the system to know the status of all the various service counters. I think it has been speculated that the dealer's servicing equipment can, but I don't recall getting confirmation of this.

If oil change reminders are coming up (A and B), this is a very strong indication that the system is working and I doubt there are failure modes where the A/B indicators work, but the numeric (1-6) sub-item maintenance indicators don't. Have you (or your mechanic) been doing resets of the system prior to when the A/B appears? I common problem is that folks do premature oil changes before the A/B has tripped. This unfortunately has the side-effect of resetting any pending maintenance that is "on deck" waiting to be displayed at the next A/B interval. If you do extra/early oil changes, it is very important NOT to reset the system at these extra oil changes if you intend to use the other MM reminders.

Transmission fluid changes are indicated by a numeric code 3 and commonly occur in 50K-70K intervals. If your car has 75K without a transmission fluid change, I'd do one. Diff fluid changes are indicated by a numeric code 6 and occur relatively often, commonly at 15K-20K and then every 30K thereafter. Definitely do this one if it has never been done. Brake fluid changes are not in the MM system - they're done every 3 years.

If they've never been done, you also should definitely replace your engine air filter and cabin air filter. A coolant change would be a good idea also.

- Mark

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet! Appreciate the reply.

Oil has been done with the minder, air filter done at least
2x.

We did have the VCM/3-cylinder tear down a year ago (?), that
was out of cycle, but of course, new oil (I hope) and coolant
were a part of that procedure.

Will get on the process of trans/diff/brake fluid this week. Will also
ask them to check MM (if that is a thing).

Just 13 months of warranty left ...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would battery replace zap/reset the system?

That has been done once. Plus, there was also a stray coolant or
intake temperature issue, where they had it a few days to
finish testing. So much activity, such a young car.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
the one thing I noticed with that stupid MM is the fact if your not paying attention you will miss the second code that shows up with the oil code ..I also use the mileage to have an idea when the MM should be telling me hey stupid I need my tranny fluid swapped.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The MM calculates off of your driving habits. If you are not driving like a maniac, haul a lot of weight, spend a lot of time in traffic or live in a hilly area, then the majority of your maintenance will be oil changes only. I watched the MM on my 2011 Ridgeline blow through life as I was driving through the hills of Pennsylvania one day. Transmission wound up needing service after that too due to all the shifting.

So if your Pilot spends most of its days cruising, it makes sense that when maintenance is due, it is almost always oil only.

One more thing, remember AWD Pilots and Ridgeline's are in AWD from 0-12 mph, gradually decreasing rear torque where 12 mph it is in full FWD mode. So stop and go traffic will require AWD maintenance more frequently.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I've been doing the trans fluid swaps at every other oil change, and do the oil changes when the MM shows 50% remaining life. The trans fluid swap gets a fraction of the total fluid, mostly since there's no separate torque converter drain. With Honda's storied history of trans failures in the past, it seems like doing the extra fluid changes is really cheap insurance. Diff fluid every 15k or so. Coolant lasts five years or so max, so I change every three years or so, and I monitor pH routinely just because I can. Brake fluid is replaced every other year coincidental to changing it on the other cars here at the same time.

I did put precision-balanced German air in the tires to improve ride and handling, but the tire store swapped in plain old dry domestic nitrogen with the new tires. I'll swap that out first chance I get. ;)

·
Registered
289 Posts
The key thing with the MM is to NEVER reset the system until it is reached the 15% threshold where the A or B indicator lights up. Otherwise, you're resetting 1-6 counters without knowing what you're resetting.

As mentioned, the MM does take into driving habits, but I don't think the effect is that great. IOW, drive gently and maybe a counter trips at a 10% higher mileage interval, but not 200% higher.

- Mark

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
As mentioned, the MM does take into driving habits, but I don't think the effect is that great. IOW, drive gently and maybe a counter trips at a 10% higher mileage interval, but not 200% higher.
If you believe the info in the following post, the oil change interval determined by the MM can range from as short as about 2K miles for short trip city use to about 16K for virtually all highway miles.
https://www.piloteers.org/threads/oil-change-every-3-500-miles.110658/#post-1147050

·
Registered
289 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts