Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having the Pilot for 1+ year, I've never checked the air pressure of the spare tire. I used to check the spare tire of my Honda Accord regularly, perhaps once every 2 to 3 months. I did it basically as a precautionary measure, though I had a flat only once as I recall, in 5+ years with the Accord. Obviously the spare is a lot more accessible for the Accord compare to the Pilot. If I ever have a flat tire with the Pilot, I'd probably call my motor club (CAA) since I'm paying for membership. Doing it for the Accord was fine, but the Pilot would be more challenging, for me anyway ... :)

Do you or should you check the air pressure of the spare tire?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I've never done it but it's probably a good practice to get into.
Good reminder Bkwon:29:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Twice a Year

I've always done the under chassis spare tire check twice a year. Kind'a a pain with the valve stem facing up, but I've always figured it was good to run the cable down and back up every so often anyway.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Regularly

I do it a lot more than twice a year, as I really don't want to get burned to discover a flat spare right after I get really steamed after getting a flat tire. It really isn't that hard to lower. I found that the spare pressure after purchase was about 15 lbs too low.

BTW: for those who are curious: I took the tire pressure when it was cold in my garage, and discovered I needed about 2 lbs of air. Then drove 1/2 mile to the gas station, and took it again. This time. pressure was at 32. Goes to show you that you really do need to take the pressure when cold. Not sure if this was the best way, but I then added the 2 lbs over the "hot" pressure and the next morning, all was well. I did also invest in one of the digital gauges (and got rid of the pencil type). What a difference!

--Bret

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
bkwon said:
Having the Pilot for 1+ year, I've never checked the air pressure of the spare tire. I used to check the spare tire of my Honda Accord regularly, perhaps once every 2 to 3 months. I did it basically as a precautionary measure, though I had a flat only once as I recall, in 5+ years with the Accord. Obviously the spare is a lot more accessible for the Accord compare to the Pilot. If I ever have a flat tire with the Pilot, I'd probably call my motor club (CAA) since I'm paying for membership. Doing it for the Accord was fine, but the Pilot would be more challenging, for me anyway ... :)

Do you or should you check the air pressure of the spare tire?
I "try" to check mine each time I rotate tires and change the oil - which is every 5K miles. You really do not need to lower the tire and put a gage on it - simply take your thumb and press on the sidewall. You will learn to "feel" when it is getting low - low to a point where it would be of concern. I'm not saying within a couple pounds - but you will be able to tell when it gets down 5-6 pounds.

YMMV

·
Registered
233 Posts
I climbed under my Pilot to check the pressure in the spare tire for the first time today and discovered that the valve stem was on the top side of the tire.

Has anyone tried fliping the spare so the valve stem faces down? This would make it much easier to check the pressure in the spare.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Re: Regularly

bret11 said:
I

I really don't want to get burned to discover a flat spare

I bought one of those inexpensive (cheap) truck tire inflators and keep it in the back. Seem to be available, on sale, for about $15 to $20.

·
Registered
101 Posts
What's the proper air pressure for the spare donut? Is it the same as the recommended pressure for the regular tires (32 psi)?

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
elduderino said:
What's the proper air pressure for the spare donut? Is it the same as the recommended pressure for the regular tires (32 psi)?
It's 60 psi for the spare donut.

-john

·
Registered
101 Posts
Lowering/raising the spare

Okay, I lowered the spare tire yesterday to check the pressure and it was good to go. I pressed it with my thumb and it was very firm. I used my tire gauge on it but my gauge only goes up to 53 psi so it maxed it out. It was actually good that I lowered the tire because there was a lot of standing water and grit in the recess of the rim so it was good to clean that out.

Now the big question is, the manual says raise the tire until you hear it click; but, I raised it until it felt really tight and solid, but I didn't hear a sound! I was afraid to keep cranking the winch as I might strip the mechanism or snap the cable or something. Now I'm concerned that the tire isn't locked in place and will drop while driving! Should I have kept cranking? Advice desperately needed, please.

Thanks in advance!

:confused:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had the same situation. I never heard the click. Its been on for over three weeks this way without a problem.

·
Registered
101 Posts
alexct said:
I had the same situation. I never heard the click. Its been on for over three weeks this way without a problem.
I've been driving like a granny because I wasn't sure if the spare is secured or not. This has really got me concerned. I guess its up there pretty tight. But, when you think of it, the spare is held up because it was "screwed" on by the winch. Without a locking mechanism (like the "click" I was supposed to hear), what is preventing the tire from just getting "unscrewed" simply from the weight of the spare tire pulling on the cable??

:confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts