Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 Pilot touring getting CHECK TPMS SYSTEM and TPMS SYSTEM FUNCTION ERROR on display. All 4 tires on display show blank for psi. Any thoughts where to start. Already checked fuses 8 & 20 under dash. Thanks

·
Registered
439 Posts
Have you ever changed the sensors? The batteries do go bad after several years. We've already replaced 1 sensor on our 2010. Might be worth going by a tire shop and ask them to check the sensors with their scanner. They should do it for free. If no reading, then need to replace. If sensors give a reading, then onto further troubleshooting - maybe check repair manual.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you ever changed the sensors? The batteries do go bad after several years. We've already replaced 1 sensor on our 2010. Might be worth going by a tire shop and ask them to check the sensors with their scanner. They should do it for free. If no reading, then need to replace. If sensors give a reading, then onto further troubleshooting - maybe check repair manual.
It became intermittent so I changed all 4 sensors. They are over 10 years old. Thanks

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it working fine now?
Yes thanks. I was just not leaning to the sensors because of the message CHECK TPMS SYSTEM/SYSTEM FUNCTION ERROR. I guess even when one sensor goes it displays this and you get no psi readings on all on all of them. Dont think all the batteries died at the exact same time.Was about time (10+ YEARS) for the batteries on them to start failing so I figured I'd start by changing them all.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Guess maybe Honda doesn't expect us to keep the pilots more than 10 years ? lol

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guess maybe Honda doesn't expect us to keep the pilots more than 10 years ? lol
The lithium ion batteries inside TPMS sensors may last anywhere from five to 10 years. Five to six years is a more typical lifespan for older TPMS sensors. TPMS sensors don't broadcast a continuous signal but only broadcast when the vehicle is in motion. Even then, the signal is intermittent to conserve battery [URL="http://www.counterman.com/is-it-necessary-to-replace-all-of-the-tpms-sensors-when-a-vehicle-needs-new-tires/"]www.counterman.com/is-it-necessary-to-replace-all-of-the-tpms-sensors-when-a-vehicle...

[/URL]

·
Registered
46 Posts
i got the same problem. tpms warning comes on and off intermittently. havent changed them yet and Ill try to visit a tire shop for these.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was just about to post about this same exact issue. I have a 2010 touring. I have one bad sensor and discount tire wants $60 per sensor and recommended I change all 4. I'll start with the one bad one, but does anyone know if $60 per sensor, installed, is reasonable or a rip off? Also, is there a way to make the TPMS function error light go off in the meantime? The tires have been confirmed to be fine.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I was just about to post about this same exact issue. I have a 2010 touring. I have one bad sensor and discount tire wants $60 per sensor and recommended I change all 4. I'll start with the one bad one, but does anyone know if $60 per sensor, installed, is reasonable or a rip off? Also, is there a way to make the TPMS function error light go off in the meantime? The tires have been confirmed to be fine.
Change them all. The batteries are at end of lifespan. OEM sensors are about $124 for 4. Dont think you can remove the error. Google tire bead breaking. YouTube I used 4x4 lumber and another car to drive up on it to break bead. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
439 Posts
For me, the price was $50 a tire whether or not I did one now or them all. So I opted to just replace one since I wasn't sure how long I'd keep the car. That was about two years ago and the other three still work fine. However, if you only get one replace, I would mark it somehow just in case there is an issue with that one. The one they installed for me died within a week and they swapped it out no charge.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have also been having the CHECK TPMS SYSTEM error on my 2011. It is intermittent, which is odd to me. If it were a battery failure, I'd expect it to just stay off. But occasionally the TPMS system will work, occasionally it won't. I had Firestone scan it and all sensors are sending the correct Hz signal. They said it was a likely a low pressure situation causing the malfunction. Which I don't really believe. Because on my way to Firestone this morning (while the TPMS system was not showing an error and I could see tire pressures) they all read 30-31psi (28 degrees this morning). I have seen readings down to 26psi before (screw in tire) so I am hard pressed to think that a slight deviation in pressure like 1-2psi would cause the system to go limp. Any advice?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Low pressure shows up differently than system error (like low battery in a sensor). You could just wait until the error stays on the whole time. I've had it come on in cold weather as battery weakens (wasn't low pressure which I know drops in colder weather).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts