Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last few day I have been getting the "Check parking sensor system" error intermittentantly and it has been steadily getting worse. It started out just a flash every now and then but it is getting to where if I leave the sensors turned on it goes off all the time. I have cleaned all the sensors off because we had a lot of heavy rain and mud but it didn't help. It flashes all of the sensors.
This is in my 2011 Touring..anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
The last few day I have been getting the "Check parking sensor system" error intermittentantly and it has been steadily getting worse. It started out just a flash every now and then but it is getting to where if I leave the sensors turned on it goes off all the time. I have cleaned all the sensors off because we had a lot of heavy rain and mud but it didn't help. It flashes all of the sensors.
This is in my 2011 Touring..anyone else have this problem?
Had it appear once on my '09. Rear Sensors had mud and leaves clinging both inside and outside of the rear bumper cover. Power wash cleared it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went around to all of the sensors and cleaned them..today it started doing it while the system is turned off..must be a short :( def no bueno

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Folks,
I'm having the same problem on my '12 Touring and brought it in to the shop and they claim to have cleaned all of the sensors and the connections and it's still happening. The truck is pretty clean too....they can seem to find anything wrong with it.

Let's keep chatting to see if anyone comes up with any results.
Thanks,
Victor

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cleaned all of the sensors with alcohol and it didn't help. Honda said $105 just to look at it. :( I did notice that one of the rings around one of the sensors looks like it is kind of missing a little piece of it..could that be putting the whole system on the fritz?
Also, I read somewhere that you can reset the parking sensor system when you are getting an error on all 5, does anyone know how to do that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 14 touring started having the same problem today. It seems to of started when I left the key on while checking the engine compartment I probably brushed against 1 of the sensors. It had an error as soon as I started it. There all clean with no damage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never did find a fix for this. My battery had to be replaced a while back and after I put the new one in the error sensor just stays lit all the time instead of being intermittent so I assume there is an electrical problem somewhere.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Ever since getting my vehicle back yesterday from getting detailed, I have had this same error on my MID. Has anyone had luck troubleshooting this? I'm annoyed to say the least with the place that cleaned my vehicle, but I know it's pointless trying to blame them for it, they'll just deny any wrongdoing so I have to fix this myself.

Someone on the odyclub board said you can feel the sensors pulsating when they're working properly and he found one that wasn't, replaced it and problem went away. Going out to try that now. Also heard sensors are $225 each. OUCH.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Well, that didn't work. The whole system is disabled, no beep warnings from any of the sensors when I go near them, no pulsing felt on any of them, the green indicator on the button on the dash is off and does not come on when the button is pushed.

Thoughts on next steps anyone? There must be a way to check which one is bad. Haven't looked at the factory service manual yet, but I will when I get home.

I have extended warranty, would this be covered?

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Ok, last update for those of you that might have the same problem.

Mine was intermittent, the error would come and go somewhat randomly. When the check parking sensor system error was off, I checked all the sensors and they all worked. So then, I wondered what else the detailers could have messed up and the next logical place to look was the switch on the dash, since they likely cleaned it with some kind of liquid. Went to the service manual and did the continuity checks they listed and discovered that the indicator bulb is blown, which makes sense, since it stopped coming on. I didn't think a blown bulb would cause the error to show in the display, but it does. I switched bulbs with the illumination bulb in the switch and it works properly with no errors (except my indicator is now yellowish instead of green, lol). Going to buy the new bulb and all will be good.

on my Pilot, the switch pushes out from the back, you unplug the connector then there are two tabs to press in to remove an outer sleeve on the switch to gain access to the bulbs, which screw in a quarter turn or so.

Anyhow, if anyone is getting the following, you might want to look at the indicator bulb in the switch to see if it's the problem.

1. Intermittent "Check Parking Sensor System" on MID with all 5 sensors lit up around the picture of the vehicle.
2. When the warning is off, press the switch to hear the "beep" to indicate the parking sensor system is on. The indicator light in the switch does not come on however.
3. With the warning off and the system on, all sensors seem to work.

Hopefully this helps someone.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have the same problem too on 2012 Touring 4x4 and it started yesterday. Mine is intermittent and whenever it beeps it will slightly strip off all my dashboard instrument light and it will come up again within 10 seconds. When i came back home yesterday night i switched off the engine and i removed the battery terminal thinking that some thing new and changes will come up again this morning but, the problem still persist. As at this morning when re-install the battery negative terminal the figure 1-6 on the dashboard radio were not responding when i was trying to input the code.

However, pls advise me on how i can be able to test these parking sensors by myself to confirm if they are still ok or not.

Till now the problem is still persist. Pls fellow Piloteers help so that i can solve this problem once and for all.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
I have the same problem too on 2012 Touring 4x4 and it started yesterday. Mine is intermittent and whenever it beeps it will slightly strip off all my dashboard instrument light and it will come up again within 10 seconds. When i came back home yesterday night i switched off the engine and i removed the battery terminal thinking that some thing new and changes will come up again this morning but, the problem still persist. As at this morning when re-install the battery negative terminal the figure 1-6 on the dashboard radio were not responding when i was trying to input the code.

However, pls advise me on how i can be able to test these parking sensors by myself to confirm if they are still ok or not.

Till now the problem is still persist. Pls fellow Piloteers help so that i can solve this problem once and for all.

Thank you.
You have to press something to get to the code entry screen. I thought the same thing when I tried first time. I think you just press the power button on the radio once and then you can enter the code.

I would seriously try swapping the bulbs in your dash switch first. If you pop the switch out from behind, you can disconnect the wire connector from it, then you press two tabs on the black outer sleeve to slide it off the switch and that gives you access to the two bulbs. Use a small screwdriver to turn the bulbs 1/8 turn ccw and then pop them out with the blade of the screwdriver. Swap them in the opposite spot and connect the wire back up (note your indicator light on the switch will be orange now instead of green). Don't put the switch in the dash yet. Start your vehicle and see if the problem is gone. If it is, then swap the bulbs back and replace the top one with a new bulb, honda part number 35474-SZA-A11. They're about $5.

Honestly, I'd check this first before anything else. It takes about 10 minutes to check and it might save you a lot of trouble.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have checked and swaped the bulb truely it's not coming on meaning the bulb is bad. I later did diagnosis on the vehicle and here are the codes that are identified B2633 = Front bus failure and B2635= Ind erroneous lighting.

Pls I want to know if it's the burnt bulb on the switch that brought out all these codes? I need help pls.

Thanks.
'Fred

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
It appears to me that's your problem. Call up your honda dealer near you and order the bulb I specified. Remember swap the dash illumination bulb back to its proper spot when you replace the new bulb in the top indicator area of the switch. If you see no codes on your display, you're good to go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Verbatim-thanks for taking the time to post...looks like you just saved me a ton of time and hassle. I switched the bulbs and all looks good. Took a chance and ordered one on eBay from a seemingly well reviewed dealer (didn't feel like even messing with the dealer here for a bulb). If I find out anything more I will update but so far I have invested all of 7 minutes and 7 dollars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tried to listen with my android phone with 'sound meter' app and diagnosed that one sensor has problem. So any audio metering app can be used to diagnose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the "check parking sensor system" error on my 2015 Pilot 2WD Touring. I read the forum and watched the you tube video and came to the conclusion that my problem was the tiny bulb in the dash switch. Although it sounds like it is easy to remove the switch and then the bulb, I struggled with it's removal as did my friend, a professional mechanic. There is virtually no room to get to the back of the switch, unless you have needle nose fingers. I ordered a new switch from Honda so that I could see how the damned thing was made in hopes that I could get it out. No luck. I have succumbed to going to the dealer, and commissioning them to replace the switch, which I provided. $66 and 20 minutes later, my new switch was in place and my error message was gone and the parking sensors work like new. I asked my service advisor for the old part and he came back with a bunch of broken plastic. Looks like the tech fou d a way to remove the problem switch -- hammer and chisel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts