Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 Honda Pilot check the fuel cap on the instrument panel has com on. I have replaced the rubber gasket on the cap and cleaned the neck into the gas tank. What else do I need to check?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Check the purge control valve I had the same issue ended up just ordering an oem cap FYI it takes about a week of solid driving before the code goes away . It’s not an instant resolution. Welcome to the forums btw!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the purge control valve I had the same issue ended up just ordering an oem cap FYI it takes about a week of solid driving before the code goes away . It’s not an instant resolution. Welcome to the forums btw!
It's only about a year old(purge control valve.... bad already?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
New OEM gas cap would be my inexpensive first move. This solved a similar issue on an older toyota.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then where would go?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Purge valve oem ? My aftermarket one only lasted 5 months purchased an oem one. This fixed my pilot can’t say the same for yours I can only say what I did to fix the problem I experienced

·
Registered
35 Posts
2007 Honda Pilot check the fuel cap on the instrument panel has com on. I have replaced the rubber gasket on the cap and cleaned the neck into the gas tank. What else do I need to check?

Thanks
Had that problem, bought a new cap but did not know I had to wait for the right amount of cycles for it to clear. Only thing I had done before that light came up on the dash was change gas stations. I use BP always, to save a few cents I started using Costco, and that's when it came up. So after I replaced the he cap, didnt think it was cap, so went back to BP and a week or 2 weeks later, it cleared.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Costco is a top tier fuel. Doubt that had anything to do with it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the same problem... clean the rubber on the cap...
buy a new one... still have the message.
Buy a new PCV valve and the message is gone. Pay less
than 40 Can.$ on eBay. Changed on Dec.20 2019...till
now everything is OK... no check Fuel cap message.

·
Registered
2017 Pilot EX-L
53 Posts

Thanks
This may seem silly, but have you tightened the cap, I don't mena a turn or two, but many, many turns. That always did the trick for my 07.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Did it with no results... many times... for someone else work but not
for me, so I change the PCV valve...1/2 hour job. Now no more
messaye.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Thanks
It may go away after a day or two or three. I've had that warning come on a few times over the past few years in my 2012 Pilot. I ignore it and it goes away. The car still runs just like new.

·
Registered
67 Posts

Thanks
I didn't get error but for the third time over 6 months I got an engine light display that goes away after several days. On this site it said to make sure the gas cap clicks several times. Once it appeared several days after a fill up. I did notice it was hard to get the 2nd click when turning the gas cap. I got out my can of WD40 and sprayed down into the gas cap, wiped the white threads, beveled sealing ring and held the cap over a paper towel to make sure no excess WD40 would go down the filler tube. The gas cap is now easy to turn and can get 3 clicks. After several short trips last night the engine light went out. Waiting to see how long it goes this time without an engine light or blinking "D". I checked the transmission oil it is full. Everything is running great on my 2010 Pilot but these false error lights are a pain. May be my 1st and last Pilot! Maybe Honda needs to update the software so that certain error codes need to be detected consistently over several hours so a glitch or noise spike doesn't generate a false code that takes 3 days to clear. I read that so many people lost a lot of money on false errors when the performance is good and there aren't any weird noises to indicate a real problem.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks I'll add your info to my list. What I'd like to know is how long has it been since the error message has been off and does that include the engine light that can also come on because of the gas cap. I've been having the same issue over 6 months and keep thinking I have it fixed as the light goes out. Again yesterday after cleaning the gas cap with WD40 and it easily clicks 2-3 times light went out after three trips. Now it is wait and see how long the error lights stay off. I'll clean the PVC if it comes on again. we used to clean the PVC's in the 70's with WD40 as carbon would bind up the little ball that acts as a check valve. New valves but still same old Carbon build up so WD40 should work.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Had that problem, bought a new cap but did not know I had to wait for the right amount of cycles for it to clear. Only thing I had done before that light came up on the dash was change gas stations. I use BP always, to save a few cents I started using Costco, and that's when it came up. So after I replaced the he cap, didn't think it was cap, so went back to BP and a week or 2 weeks later, it cleared.
Your owner's manual it tell you to use a Gas additive at least with every oil change. Gas additives like those use in Mobile Gas are not regulated and may not exist in any of the cheap gases. Also as the station gas tanks get low water builds up as a result of condensation so you can get a bad tank of gas that will result in an engine light coming on. I use Lucas Gas treatment every 3-4 tank fulls just 3 Oz cleans and lubricates the fuel injectors. got rid of many engine lights by the next day as a result. I know I got a bad tank once even at Mobile were I got the 89 Octane, just bad luck. Buying dry gas additive will correct water problems which you can get if you leave a car unused with very little gas in the tank, you can also cause water condensation in wet, humid areas. Keep that in mind if your away on vacation for a long time to fill the gas tank before you store it. That goes for cars stored away for the winter.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Thanks I'll add your info to my list. What I'd like to know is how long has it been since the error message has been off and does that include the engine light that can also come on because of the gas cap. I've been having the same issue over 6 months and keep thinking I have it fixed as the light goes out. Again yesterday after cleaning the gas cap with WD40 and it easily clicks 2-3 times light went out after three trips. Now it is wait and see how long the error lights stay off. I'll clean the PVC if it comes on again. we used to clean the PVC's in the 70's with WD40 as carbon would bind up the little ball that acts as a check valve. New valves but still same old Carbon build up so WD40 should work.
Were PCVs made out of PVC back then? :p

Sorry, couldn't resist.:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts