Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again,
Finished replacing the spool valve on my 2010 Pilot about a week and a half ago. I've had the check fuel cap message during the winter but it disappeared. Just reappeared about 3-4 days ago. I've tried re-tightening the gas cap multiple times with no dice. I've read that the most common culprit is the Purge valve which in the first gen Pilot was easy to get too. I have 112K miles on the car and would like to replace this cansiter purge valve...only problem is I'm not sure where it's located and couldn't find any videos...any help would be appreciated or even a pic on where to find it. I would like to replace it myself. Thank you.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
38 views and not one knows where it is......I guess I have to DIY the search again lol :grin:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update on this.......so during the "check fuel cap" drama, my 2010 also had the CEL and VTM4 lit up and the car started misfiring. I replace the purge canister valve just like I asked here and while the "check fuel cap" got resolved.....I was thinking that it would also solved the CEL/VTM4 lights......that was dumb for me to think. Got the code checked and it was the P3497 and other misfire codes cylinder 2 and 4. Replaced the VVT switch on top of the spool valve and cleaned out spark plug 2 and replaced spark plug 4....didn't solve the problem. Finally gave in and took it to Midas since it have been a week now that I've tried reading up online to see what other causes it may be. Midas did the diagnostic everything was up to par except they found that the spool valve maybe at fault. It's all coming back to me now because I recently replaced the gaskets because Honda dealer initially wanted to replace the top part of the spool valve assembly because it was leaking oil into the alternator. What Honda failed to tell me was that the top part (sensor part) of the spool valve may also be defective. Midas wanted to replace the top and bottom part of the spool valve to the tune of $1500. Instead I told them what Honda initially told me and ask Midas to replace the top part first....voila! problem fixed, when they told me that the spool valve was the problem, I initially thought that I can DIY (if it's only the top part to be replaced) this thing but thinking that it may need both top and bottom part of the spool valve, and I know replacing the bottom part will need more expertise than I can DIY so I decided to let Midas do the work but I ended paying only a third of what they initially wanted to charge me since they only needed to replace the top part of the valve. Car is purring like a kitten again. sorry for the long story.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts