Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had an issue a few months back where some road debris hit the underside of my 2010 Pilot and I had some repairs done for other damage. However, I have been getting a tighten fuel cap light that comes and goes, I replaced the fuel cap and I am still getting the error. So does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be, I have also noticed a drop in fuel economy and its showing 16.8 average in the cluster since the issue occurred. However, when I calculate it via miles and fuel I'm getting 14.01 mpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been getting that same gas cap error for a few years now on my 2011 pilot. For me, can't seem to fix it, no one I bring the vehicle to can fix the issue. I will be following this thread.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,931 Posts
Did you replace the gas cap with OEM?

·
Registered
114 Posts
So I had an issue a few months back where some road debris hit the underside of my 2010 Pilot and I had some repairs done for other damage. However, I have been getting a tighten fuel cap light that comes and goes, I replaced the fuel cap and I am still getting the error. So does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be, I have also noticed a drop in fuel economy and its showing 16.8 average in the cluster since the issue occurred. However, when I calculate it via miles and fuel I'm getting 14.01 mpg
It is most likely your Purge Control Valve that needs to be replace. It’s an easy repair and the part is about $80.00. The is a known common issue.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
My Pilot did that when I ran the tank almost dry a few times, but stopped about 1 year ago. I am ignoring the issue as it creates no problems whatsoever. The light goes off after filling up. I did wipe the filler tube threads and the cap threads with a paper towel before the light stopped coming up.

·
Registered
135 Posts
On many cars the emission systems involving the purge valve to the vapor canister, and gas tank operates on various cycles to check the system for correct operations and for leaks. The purge control valve is normally between the vapor can/ gas tank side, and the intake system where the vacuum is drawn to suck out the canister vapors. When driving along, the purge control valve will run a cycle to check for leaks. The purge valve will open to draw down the pressure in the evap/ canister system and then close. The in tank fuel pressure sensor will be monitored for vacuum. If the gas cap is open or there is a cut in the tubing the sensor will show rise in pressure and signal a leak in the evap system. The system monitors for slow rise and quick rise for slow leaks or large leaks. Which is probably why it thinks it's the gas cap.If it isn't the gas cap, there is a leak somwhere. I am not sure the sensors monitored in the '10 pilot but is probably similar to this.

·
Registered
289 Posts
FWIIW, on my 2006, I had this issue a few months ago (which BTW I couldn't clear the error with my cheapo OBD II reader) and much to my surprise, a new OEM fuel cap fixed it immediately. Sometimes you get lucky - I was expecting it was the purge control valve or something more difficult to fix.

- Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts