Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Honda Pilot. 230k miles. I just recently changed the spark plugs, but codes are still present. Probably need to do coils too? They are the original ones on there. Will putting in new coils and changing the cats fix most of these?

P0420, p0305, p0300, P0430, P0356, P3400, P0306, P3497, p0301, P0305

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
P3400 is the code for a possible bad vtec solenoid near the dipstick and P3497 is for the opposite side, drivers side head, similar problem (same part times 2). I'd recommend replacing the assemblies, unless your oil is low. Check wiring, clean connections with CRC Electronic Cleaner. I know you change oil, so I assume it's fresh Kirkland 0w20. 😏

P0356 is a code for a bad #6 coil. Is it installed properly? Is it soaked in engine oil?
Is the VCM disabled?
Has the MAF been cleaned?
Has the PCV and EGR valve been replaced?
Has the valve cover gaskets grommets and spark plug tube seals been replaced?
These are common high milage problems.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know you change oil, so I assume it's fresh Kirkland 0w20. 😏
View attachment 147984

P0356 is a code for a bad #6 coil. Is it installed properly? Is it soaked in engine oil?
Is the VCM disabled?
[/QUOTE]

You are correct. Nice Kirkland oil ch he recently done. :)

I did the spark plugs not too long ago. Is it possible to install coil wrong? Lol Now I want to check and see!
VCM isn't disabled
I cleaned the MAF not too long ago.
Never done PCV OR EGR
They may have replaced valve cover gasket when timing belt was done if I recall.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nail Grease,

how would you go about attacking all those codes? Without spending money I don't need to. 😉

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
I know you change oil, so I assume it's fresh Kirkland 0w20. 😏
View attachment 147984

Is the VCM disabled?
You are correct. Nice Kirkland oil ch he recently done. :)

I did the spark plugs not too long ago. Is it possible to install coil wrong? Lol Now I want to check and see!
VCM isn't disabled
I cleaned the MAF not too long ago.
Never done PCV OR EGR
They may have replaced valve cover gasket when timing belt was done if I recall.
A coil can be installed wrong. I've seen the spring fall out down beside the spark plug. But the most common is oil in the tube, this can cause misfires or no fire at all. Or the coil is dead.
IMO, there is no getting around the vtec solenoid assembly fix. With the milage on the vehicle, I'd say you've been fortunate to not have had to deal with this sooner. If you have major oil leaks around these, you might opt for the vtec (vvt) solenoid assemblies and spools, which requires removing the intake manifold, valve covers and rocker arm assemblies. Then the new spools can be resealed to the heads. It be a great time for the valve adjustment then.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Nail Grease,

how would you go about attacking all those codes? Without spending money I don't need to. 😉
Fixing the vtec assemblies should correct the misfire codes. #6 coil has a specific code that will need to be addressed separately.
I would park the vehicle until these assemblies are replaced. It can damage the engine if not fixed.
You do have an emission code. By disabling the VCM, I solved both P0420 and P0430 codes.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fixing the vtec assemblies should correct the misfire codes. #6 coil has a specific code that will need to be addressed separately.
I would park the vehicle until these assemblies are replaced. It can damage the engine if not fixed.
You do have an emission code. By disabling the VCM, I solved both P0420 and P0430 codes.
I had a shop do my timing belt. That's been the only job I haven't dared to take on myself. When they did it, they mentioned my valve cover was leaking and I had them that do that too while they were there. Is that the assembly issue you are referring to? If so, I think it's already done.

maybe I should get that VCM disabler reset my codea and see what happens?

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
I had a shop do my timing belt. That's been the only job I haven't dared to take on myself. When they did it, they mentioned my valve cover was leaking and I had them that do that too while they were there. Is that the assembly issue you are referring to? If so, I think it's already done.

maybe I should get that VCM disabler reset my codea and see what happens?
I would not assume that each of your spark plug tubes are oil free. Even if they say they did the work, Did they do it correctly? When placing the valve cover on the head, each tube seal must go over the tube correctly for a proper seal.
Having the valve cover gaskets replaced is not the same as having the VVT (Vtec) assemblies replaced. Valve covers would need to be removed if you opted for what I said in post #6. This would require a professional mechanic or a very bold DIYer. The rocker arm assemblies must come off to do the spool job. This is not necessary if the spool sealed with Honda Bond is not leaking oil.
An easy DIY is just doing the 3 bolt assemblies pictured in post #3. The drivers side head is a little more congested, that will require undoing some things around it, but still easily done. You have codes associated with both of these. Disabling the VCM will not make these codes go away.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Nail has most things covered, however 75% of the vtec/vcm codes are due to low oil level. As long as you check your oil and know it full then Nail has you covered. P3400/3497 are easily fixed with replacing the oil switches on the spool valves. I have yet to see a clogged vvt screen or bad spool valve on a motor that has been reasonable maintained. As already mentioned, valve adjustment would be beneficial to most of your codes.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Nail has most things covered, however 75% of the vtec/vcm codes are due to low oil level. As long as you check your oil and know it full then Nail has you covered. P3400/3497 are easily fixed with replacing the oil switches on the spool valves. I have yet to see a clogged vet screen or bad spool valve on a motor that has been reasonable maintained. As already mentioned, valve adjustment would be beneficial to most of your codes.
It's not the clogged screens so much as the eventual oil leak that will destroy your alternator. The gasket will need replacing. Replacing the 3 bolt assemblies prevents the inevitable oil leak. You can buy just the switch now, but next month you may wish you had done the whole thing. At 200k miles, I believe it's best to replace it all.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's not the clogged screens so much as the eventual oil leak that will destroy your alternator. The gasket will need replacing. Replacing the 3 bolt assemblies prevents the inevitable oil leak. You can buy just the switch now, but next month you may wish you had done the whole thing. At 200k miles, I believe it's best to replace it all.
I'm going to do it. Buy those two assemblies on post 3 and that works for both sides? I'm buying that now.

Should I get the muzzler II for the emission codes?

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
I'm going to do it. Buy those two assemblies on post 3 and that works for both sides? I'm buying that now.

Should I get the muzzler II for the emission codes?
Yes. Need 2 of the Solenoid assemblies, post #3.
I use S-VCM. Which ever brand you get, for trouble free service, I would recommend getting one that does not require changing out the resistors manually. If your catalytic converters are not to far gone, you should see results from disabling the VCM. I'd make sure the cooling system is functioning normally before installing.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
I went back and checked RockAuto and they were advertising this part as fitting left and right. I know the part fits the passenger side. You might want to verify the drivers side. See if it looks the same.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
I'll have to apologize if you already ordered 2. Looks like it works on passenger side only. But I have an excuse, RockAuto claimed it worked on both left and right. They have since taken this down from their site.

If you see no oil leaks on the drivers side, I'd replace just the switch. Part # 37240-R70-A04

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
If you like to save a few $ on aftermarket, I've had good success with Standard Motor Products.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts