Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has had this, and what was the outcome?

At the exact same time the VTM-4 warning and the MIL (Check Engine) lights came on.

There was no other indication of a problem. Everything seemed normal at 75MPH.

Stopped to check if maybe I had a low tire or some obvious problem but found nothing. (kept engine running since I was on the side of the road).

Drove to next rest stop and shut of the engine there. It restated with no problems. The VTM-4 Light was now off, but the MIL was still on. Drove home (200+ miles) with no noticible problems. No unusual noises, normal power, normal gas milage, etc.

It will go to the dealer tomorrow AM to get checked.
I will insist that they write any error codes found on the service ticket.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmmm?

Got a call from the dealer.

The only code in the computer was for an EGR problem.
They are replacing the EGR valve. It si not in stock so I am getting a loaner (enterprise rental) till it is fixed. It should be tomorow.

Service advisor said she has not seen this on the Pilot but did have an issue with some other Honda's that would trip the wrong error light some times.

Hope it realy was just a bad EGR valve.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Did the car shake or vibrate, even if slightly, at all when this happened? The reason I'm asking this is because in the latter part of my trip, my Pilot started to vibrate, not violently though, precisely @60MPH AND between 1700-1900RPM. I had to ease into those RPM ranges, reaching 60MPH for it to happen. When I maintained the speed holding between those RPM numbers, the vibration was sustained. Once I stepped on the gas, coming out of that RPM range, thus increasing the speed, the vibration stopped. Or, even when I let go of the gas, the vibration stopped.

I searched groups.google.com and acuramdx.org and found a few posts describing the samething that happened to me and one MDX owner had his EGR valve replaced as well like you had to. None of my lights came on though, but I did pull over to the side of the highway and checked the oil and transmission fluids and all seemed normal.

Since being back from the trip, I haven't been able to reproduce the vibration to the level such that I can take it to the dealer and show it to them. But I'm pretty sure it's still there. When it first happened, it happened while I was going uphill, so, I waited until I ended up going downhill and the samething happened. When I ended up on a flat road, the same happened as well.

I don't know if we have a related problem, but it's something you'd rather not encouter, especially when you're travelling at such high speeds.

What is an EGR, btw and what is its function? Thanks.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RipRocK said:
. . . . . one MDX owner had his EGR valve replaced as well like you had to. . . . .
What is an EGR, btw and what is its function? Thanks.
Interesting. Yes i noticed the slight vibration.

I figured it was just the road, but felt to me like a Chrysler transmission torque converter slipping in and out of "Lock-Up", but less harsh.

I was planning on checking the trans fluid for color.odor changes when I got home.

The EGR is the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve. It bleeds a small amount of exhaust into the intake during certain operating conditions. Typically during deceleration. It reduces smog

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
N_Jay said:
Interesting. Yes i noticed the slight vibration.

I figured it was just the road, but felt to me like a Chrysler transmission torque converter slipping in and out of "Lock-Up", but less harsh.

I was planning on checking the trans fluid for color.odor changes when I got home.

The EGR is the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve. It bleeds a small amount of exhaust into the intake during certain operating conditions. Typically during deceleration. It reduces smog
I see, I see, great, thanks for the info. Btw, what color should the transmission fluid be and what kind of odor should it have? Sorry, I'm just full of questions.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RipRocK said:

I see, I see, great, thanks for the info. Btw, what color should the transmission fluid be and what kind of odor should it have? Sorry, I'm just full of questions.
It should be red. The best way to tell is to put a drop on new and a drop of old an inch or two apart on a paper towel. As the drops get absorbed you can easily see a brown ring if the old fluid is bad.
As long as it is mostly red you should be fine unless it smells burnt.

As for the smell; I can't discribe new fluid, but bad fluid has a distinctive burnt smell.

The fluid should also be clear not cloudy or milky. Either of these usually mean it has water in it.

Check your Fluid now and you will have a reference for the future.

If it is burnt, brown or has water it should be changed ASAP.
Usually three times in a row to flush out the old fluid.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Check Engine Lights

I know that on newer cars, the Check Engine light is very touchy and something as minor as not having your gas cap tightened properly can result in the damn light coming on.

As for the VTM light - that's a new one!

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Check Engine Lights

PILOTinginCO said:
I know that on newer cars, the Check Engine light is very touchy and something as minor as not having your gas cap tightened properly can result in the damn light coming on.

As for the VTM light - that's a new one!

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX
I always tighten the cap 5 to 10 clicks.

I would still love to know what the conditions are that allow an EGR error code to trip the VTM-4 light, and why the error clears on the next start. :confused:
Seems if I were architecting the system, I would store all error codes and tag the cleared ones to help with trouble shooting. :eek:
But then again, I don't write code. :2:

·
Registered
316 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
VTM-4 Light

Hello All,

Just thought I would add my experiences to this issue. I have had an ongoing problem where the VTM-4 light would come on. There was never an engine light associated with it so it may not be the same thing as what others have experienced. I took it in to the dealer a few weeks ago for an oil change and asked them to look into it. They could not find anything wrong. The light would come on very randomly so I could not link it to any event or change. I did notice that when the light was on the VTM-4 system was disabled (really noticed it on wet pavement during acceleration). When ever I turned the Pilot off and then back on again, the light would go out and may or may not come back on some time later. Last week it was coming on all the time and I was a little frustrated so I took it back to the dealer and asked service to look at it again. BTW, Kitchener Honda on King Street was GREAT! They really took an interest in the problem and spent 45min looking into it. The only thing they could find was an error code for the VTM-4 Oil Temp Sensor. They said they would order the parts in and change it out for me to see if this would help. Last Thursday I took it back and they changed the sensor and did a VTM-4 oil change - at no charge to me of course! So far it has not come on since but I am keeping my eye on it.

Hope this long explaination is helpful to someone. Below is a page that they gave me out of some manual (unsure of origin) but I thougth I would include it as it does shed some light on the operation of the VTM-4. Good luck to all.

Happy Trails, Eh!
From the Great White North
Dano

Attachments

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: VTM-4 Light

Below is a page that they gave me out of some manual (unsure of origin) but I thougth I would include it as it does shed some light on the operation of the VTM-4. Good luck to all.

Happy Trails, Eh!
From the Great White North
Dano [/B]
Any chance of scanning that again, I could not read it.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: Re: VTM-4 Light

N_Jay said:

Any chance of scanning that again, I could not read it.
A heavy dose of caffeine and you should be able to read it ok.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Let me try this again

Here is the text scaned in with OCR:

Rear Differential

General Troubleshooting Information

VTM-4 Indicator

The VTM-4 indicator comes on under certain conditions even if the 4WD system working normally. Here are some examples:

• When you use high-powered wireless equipment such as a CB or Ham radio in the vehicle.
• When you keep spinning the rear wheels while the vehicle is stuck in sand, mud, snow, with the VTM-4 indicator blinking, and detects DTC 76, continuing 4WD control at this time.
• When the battery voltage suddenly drops below 8 volts or rises above 16 volts.

After the VTM-4 indicator comes on, it stays on until you turn the ignition switch off.

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC)

• The VTM-4 control unit can memorize up to seven different DTCs. The system displays the DTCs by blinking the VTM-4 indicator. Multiple DTCs are displayed in the order they occured, beginning with the most recent.
• If the same DTC is detected more than once, the most recent DTC is written over the earlier one. Therefore, when the same problem is detected more than once, it is memorized as a single DTC.
• The DTCs are memorized in the EEPROM (non-volatile memory). Therefore, the memorized DTCs are not cleared when the battery is disconnected or the VTM-4 control unit is disconnected.
• If there is a problem in the central processing unit (CPU) of the VTM-4 control unit, the VTM-4 indicator comes on, but no DTC is memorized.

Self-diagnosis

When a problem is detected by self-diagnosis, the system does the following:

. Turns the VTM-4 indicator on.
. Memorizes the DTC.
. Stops 4WD control and puts the vehicle back in 2WD (FWD).
. Reduces engine torque to suit the driving conditions when the abnormality was detected.

Hope this helps! Sorry for the bad scan before. I don't know how to reduce the image size and still keep the quality of the scan high so that it can be read.

Dano

·
Registered
3 Posts
VTM-4 and check engine light

N Jay-
I had the exact thing happen yesterday as I was leaving the grocery store. Driving at slow speed, the VTM-4 light and the check engine light came on at the same time. Nothing seemed to change with the car. I am taking it in for an oil change on Wednesday and my oil change light has been on for a couple of days. We just moved and the dealers hear in Fairfield county Connecticut were all full with waiting lists for oil changes, so the light came on before I could get in. I wondered if the VTM-4 light and the check engine light might be a way of nagging me to get it in quick!
Anyway, love my Pilot- has about 21,000 miles.
Please let me know if anyone has info- and I will post after my trip to the dealer.
Thanks!

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: VTM-4 and check engine light

Sue C said:
N Jay-
I had the exact thing happen yesterday as I was leaving the grocery store. Driving at slow speed, the VTM-4 light and the check engine light came on at the same time. Nothing seemed to change with the car. I am taking it in for an oil change on Wednesday and my oil change light has been on for a couple of days. We just moved and the dealers hear in Fairfield county Connecticut were all full with waiting lists for oil changes, so the light came on before I could get in. I wondered if the VTM-4 light and the check engine light might be a way of nagging me to get it in quick!
Anyway, love my Pilot- has about 21,000 miles.
Please let me know if anyone has info- and I will post after my trip to the dealer.
Thanks!
What a coincedence, my Maintanence Required light was on for a few days also. I am sure that it is not intentional, but it could be a SW bug. They replaced the EGR valve and all seems well.

The service advisor said she has seen a couple of bad EGR valves. Usually on v-6 vehicles that are used primarily for short trips.

Have you noticed any very slight vibration when holding a steady speed at 60 MPH or more?

·
Registered
3 Posts
No, I haven't noticed any vibration, but I haven't been out much since the maintainence required light went on.
I'll post after my trip to the dealer on Wednesday.
Thanks!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had the exact same problem. VTM-4 light and check engine light. My dealer replaced EGR valve (about 8,000 miles) and it's been fine ever since (about 12,000 miles).

·
Registered
3 Posts
egr replaced

All fixed now- dealer said they replaced the egr. He also said that a tech from Honda was in the same day my Pilot had the problem so he discussed with the tech. Honda apparently is seeing this problem- so there may be more of this coming. The part was backordered so hope they are making more to supply and fix the problem.
Thanks for the replies- this is a great site!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Does anyone know if the EGR valve problem has any effect on gas mileage? I've got intermittent vibration at 70 MPH, and I've also got terrible mileage. The mileage from my last tank was 13.4 MPG, bringing my running average to 15.9 MPG.

·
Registered
82 Posts
egr and gas mileage

I'm not a mechanic, but egr stands for Engine Gas Recirculation so that puts it somewhere in the exhaust/fuel delivery path(s).

My guess is that a failed EGR could affect your mileage.

Not sure about the vibration unless the failed EGR just makes your engine run rough which could cause vibration. Others in this thread mention various vibrations.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts