Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Pilot owners.
I have a strange issue that just started whereas all three lights come on and stay on, but no other issues are noticeable. Any thoughts/suggestions on where to start checking? It seems to me to be odd. Also of note I do have installed a VCM Musler.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Most local auto parts places will plug in an OBD-II scanner and give you a readout of the stored codes that are causing the dash lights. Most all offer this as a free service. Capture those codes, and any descriptions the reader offers, and bring them back here.

The car has very sophisticated on-board diagnostics capabilities built in, with an eye to making the diagnostic part of maintenance and repair process a lot less subjective. There are literally hundreds of diagnostic codes available, each one triggering one or some combination of the dash warning lights you describe. With that in mind, trying to remotely diagnose a problem based on just 'the warning lights came on!' is no easier that trying for figure out what's wrong from a remote 'I heard a funny noise!' description. get the codes and we'll be able to share guidance on most of the common ones. Do it soon, as little telltales can quickly turn to bigger issues if ignored. There's a good auto parts store close by, the readings take just minutes, and they are usually happy to help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How old is the battery? When you have the codes scanned if the battery is old have it checked as well.
Thanks for the heads up. The battery is 2 years old. I will have it checked out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Code came up 121-11 VSA Solenoid valve malfunction.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
So...

-- Old battery or low charging voltage?

. -- disconnect battery, clean all terminals, clean ground connection, reconnect battery.

-- Bad connections at VSA/ABS controller.
. -- disconnect battery ground.
. -- disconnect, inspect and clean the connections at the VSA/ABS controller.

-- Defective VSA/ABS controller? ($!ouch!$)

Old brake fluid can cause the module to stick from corrosion. Better Honda-specific OBD devices may offer a way to exercise the VSA/ABS system while flushing, perhaps offering some relief if in fact the module is sticking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So...

-- Old battery or low charging voltage?

. -- disconnect battery, clean all terminals, clean ground connection, reconnect battery.

-- Bad connections at VSA/ABS controller.
. -- disconnect battery ground.
. -- disconnect, inspect and clean the connections at the VSA/ABS controller.

-- Defective VSA/ABS controller? ($!ouch!$)

Old brake fluid can cause the module to stick from corrosion. Better Honda-specific OBD devices may offer a way to exercise the VSA/ABS system while flushing, perhaps offering some relief if in fact the module is sticking.
Thanks for the tips. I will clean the connections, clear the codes and see if they come back.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I got the same code and I was wondering if you were successful. Please let me know.
Many folks stop by, ask a question, but don't bother to share feedback on the results. This thread is only a month or two old so there's a chance that the OP will respond to his emailed notification -IF- he has notifications set for the thread. Most are focused on their immediate problems, find a useful solution, and disappear into the ether again until another problem comes up.

The same guidance shared in the thread applies to your same situation. VSA symptoms and warnings sometimes happen because of low battery voltage, and also happen when the ABS/VSA pump and hydraulics have issues. The pieces are pretty bulletproof, but suffer when hydraulics are exposed to moisture. Honda has a brake fluid replacement recommendation of every three years IIRC. The fleet here has a few that ask for two-year intervals and one that demands annual changes, and gets it more often when it sees HPDE days. They all get no more than two years no matter what. If yours hasn't been changed in the last couple years, a flush and bleed is a good maintenance to perform regardless. If the fluid in the brake fluid reservoir is anything but water-clear, you are late for this critical PM task.

Do the recommended services, clear the code, and share back your results please.

And.... Welcome to Piloteers!

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
7 Posts
Many folks stop by, ask a question, but don't bother to share feedback on the results. This thread is only a month or two old so there's a chance that the OP will respond to his emailed notification -IF- he has notifications set for the thread. Most are focused on their immediate problems, find a useful solution, and disappear into the ether again until another problem comes up.

The same guidance shared in the thread applies to your same situation. VSA symptoms and warnings sometimes happen because of low battery voltage, and also happen when the ABS/VSA pump and hydraulics have issues. The pieces are pretty bulletproof, but suffer when hydraulics are exposed to moisture. Honda has a brake fluid replacement recommendation of every three years IIRC. The fleet here has a few that ask for two-year intervals and one that demands annual changes, and gets it more often when it sees HPDE days. They all get no more than two years no matter what. If yours hasn't been changed in the last couple years, a flush and bleed is a good maintenance to perform regardless. If the fluid in the brake fluid reservoir is anything but water-clear, you are late for this critical PM task.

Do the recommended services, clear the code, and share back your results please.

And.... Welcome to Piloteers!
Hi dr bob,
Thanks for responding!
I fully changed the brake fluid back in April 2019 (3 years ago) and the battery is one year old (Duralast F24). I will change the brake fluid and see if that could fix the issue.
Also, I want to mention that I took the car to the dealer and they did the calibration. They said if the light came back on, that means that the VSA module will need to be changed. They said that the part itself is about 3K and it will be a backorder :(

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Do the battery cable and ground cables cleaning to rule out the possibility that the VSA module isn't getting full voltage. Try removing and reseating the VSA module connector a few times to clean the self-wiping connector pins while the battery is disconnected.

Sounds like the brake fluid is due for replacement anyway at three years, so take care of that service regardless. Otherwise I'm running low on recommendations short of unit replacement. It's a pretty big $$ ouch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do the battery cable and ground cables cleaning to rule out the possibility that the VSA module isn't getting full voltage. Try removing and reseating the VSA module connector a few times to clean the self-wiping connector pins while the battery is disconnected.

Sounds like the brake fluid is due for replacement anyway at three years, so take care of that service regardless. Otherwise I'm running low on recommendations short of unit replacement. It's a pretty big $$ ouch.
Where is the VSA located exactly?
Do you have any pictures or examples showingw the location?
Also, if you don't mind, could you tell me how to reset the VAS?

I forgot to mention that the VSA lights in my dashboard go off when the car cools down, and they come back on, as shown in the attached photos, after about 30 to 40 minutes of driving, depending on the traffic and how much I use the brake. Do you think that could be related to the brake fluid when it heats up?
Thanks in advance!

Trip computer Speedometer Odometer Vehicle Tachometer

Speedometer Trip computer Car Odometer Vehicle

Speedometer Trip computer Odometer Vehicle Tachometer

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
There's a parallel thread with going right now with the info you are looking for. Let us know if you need more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts