Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My situation is this:
For the past 3 years my 2010 honda pilot has shown the same codes and failed the same way. And it is always about the same time of the year. Each time it pops up with "checking charging system." We did all the tests and ended up replacing the alternator. We have already replaced it twice and it just flashed the code again.
What could be making this keep happening? Any opinions are welcome.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,957 Posts
What tests did you perform on the alternator and battery?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We used a multimeter and checked the amps being put out. Took the positive cable off the battery. When we did that the vehicle automatically died. The battery had the right volts coming out and everything. Each time we have replaced the alternator we took it to auto zone and had them test it. They said it was bad.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
A quick check of alternator output is to put the voltmeter across the battery terminals. Tests are:
1) Battery voltage after Pilot has been off for a while should be ~12.6Vdc.
2) Turn Pilot on. Headlights, interior blowers, etc. should be off. Voltage should be ~14.4Vdc.
3) Turn on headlights and both interior blowers full speed. Voltage should be ~14.2Vdc.

Check that the power connection to the alternator is tight. A bad connection will heat up and electronics don’t like heat. Also check the condition of the alternator cable for fraying/corrosion.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
And it’s not a good idea to disconnect the battery while the vehicle is running. Voltage spikes from the alternator will not be smoothed out by the battery. This could lead to sensitive electronics being damaged.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would remove the grounds, wire brush everything and replace. There is a ground cable from the (-) battery to the radiator support and another one around the front drivers wheel well between transmission and body. There may be others. Is the alternator oily when you remove it? Might have a leak that is dripping into alternator eventually killing it. How old is the battery? Have you cleaned the terminals?

As others have said, check the alternator with a voltmeter or take it in to be bench tested. Don't pull the cables while Pilot is running.

·
Registered
830 Posts
We used a multimeter and checked the amps being put out. Took the positive cable off the battery. When we did that the vehicle automatically died. The battery had the right volts coming out and everything. Each time we have replaced the alternator we took it to auto zone and had them test it. They said it was bad.
How old is the battery? A weak battery puts a higher load on the alternator, and can cause the alt to fail. Have the battery load tested. If it's not up to snuff, it could be overstressing the alternator.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A quick check of alternator output is to put the voltmeter across the battery terminals. Tests are:
1) Battery voltage after Pilot has been off for a while should be ~12.6Vdc.
2) Turn Pilot on. Headlights, interior blowers, etc. should be off. Voltage should be ~14.4Vdc.
3) Turn on headlights and both interior blowers full speed. Voltage should be ~14.2Vdc.

Check that the power connection to the alternator is tight. A bad connection will heat up and electronics don’t like heat. Also check the condition of the alternator cable for fraying/corrosion.
I have a question . . . . when you disconnected the battery, you lost the emission codes pre-loaded into the car. Did you get the "Check Emission System" warning on the dashboard screen? And how long did it take for your senses to reset themselves? I've driven 800 miles since the repair and the error message is still appearing. Frustrating!

BTW, my charging problem resulted from a slowly deteriorating serpentine belt tensioner, combined with a bad alternator. The tensioner eventually failed. I lost my serpentine belt and the tensioner altogether. Was in the shop for 8 days. WOW!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts