Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my pilot at 156,000 from a whole sale lot I didn't get a lot of info so im not sure if the atf has been changed but since I bought it in march it has not would you recommend changing? im currently experiencing trans issues and have the P0740 code. I did clean the tcc solenoid and it seemed to be fine for a week but its acting up again. It will not accelerate after a few miles until I turn it off and let it cool. then its fine for a few more miles or at least to drive home. The ATF light came on a fews times also. and the RPMS get high and the speed is low before it breaks down. Is that the safety feature? Please help father of 5 and only one vehicle

·
Registered
34 Posts
If the light came on, in my experience that means it’s low. I changed mine at 180 for my new to us 06 but it was shifting pretty smooth prior to so I’m assuming someone had changed it previously but it was kind of a reddish brown color. Plan on changing it again at every oil change for the next 3 oil changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you would recommend changing it ive heard things about trans slip after how has it been for you? and you said you changed it at 180 after you bought it? I bought mine at 156 it is now 170k

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Yes, do a 3x ATF drain and fill (loosen the fill bolt before undoing the drain bolt), driving it a few miles between each. If that doesn't help, change out the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches. Use OEM, Redline or my fave, Valvoline Maxlife ATF.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, do a 3x ATF drain and fill (loosen the fill bolt before undoing the drain bolt), driving it a few miles between each. If that doesn't help, change out the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches. Use OEM, Redline or my fave, Valvoline Maxlife ATF.
So I would drain then fill using new oil and refill using the new oil I fill with the next 3 times?

·
Registered
704 Posts
So you would recommend changing it ive heard things about trans slip after how has it been for you? and you said you changed it at 180 after you bought it? I bought mine at 156 it is now 170k
Your original post indicates overheating (ATF light coming on), and either limp mode or slipping clutches. The P0740 code is calling out torque converter problems.

Definitely do drain and refill of the ATF, 3 times. It takes about 3 to 4 quarts for each DF. If you buy the Valvoline Maxlife ATF in a gallon jug at Walmart, it's not that expensive.

You probably have issues with gunk inside the valve bodies (deep inside the trans, not accessible), and the control solenoids. Fresh fluid may help, or your transmission may be too far gone. I think that it's worth it to try the fresh fluid. If your transmission is worth saving, it should start working better and better with each DF.

I didn't see what year your Pilot is. If it's 2003-2005, you have the option of changing out an external ATF filter. If your Pilot is of that age, I would change out that external filter as well, especially if a DF improves function.

These suggestions should cost you about $100 or so if you DIY, more if you use a shop. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
In my tranny it takes 3.5 liter which is slightly less than 1 gallon. Valvoline Maxlife ATF is now being sold at Canadian Walmart in 5 liter jugs. I always have about 1.5 liter left after the drain and fill, so I am buying 2 of 1 quart bottles every other time.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I just start with my leftovers, which after 3 D&Fs become enough for the whole next one. I look at it as "buy three, get one free." :)

It's not like brake fluid, which is hygroscopic and shouldn't be reused once the bottle is opened.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts