Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed that my crash bar is severely rusted so I ordered a used OEM one off eBay.

Is it relatively easy to take off the rear bumper cover and change that bar? I'm assuming its a few bolts and the plastic bumper cover would come off, then a few more bolts holding on that bar. Couldn't find any Youtube videos on this

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
502 Posts
It's fairly easy. What tripled the amount of time for mine was there was a Curt hitch installed by the previous owner, so I had to remove that in order to reach the 4 bolts that hold the top of the rear bumper to the sill. Two of the four bolts were totally rusted into the spring clips, so they ended up breaking the plastic of the bumper by spinning in place and breaking the plastic tab. But I was able to get the other two out by using lots of penetrating oil and taking my time. Once you've got the plastic bumper removed, the metal reinforcement bar is only attached by 2 bolts and 2 nuts, which come out really easily. There were also 2 bolts in the center of my hitch securing it to the reinforcement bar. So if you don't have a hitch, it should be an easy job, just remove the tail lights and the rear bumper cover, and just watch out for those rusty bolts up under the tip lip.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
It's fairly easy. What tripled the amount of time for mine was there was a Curt hitch installed by the previous owner, so I had to remove that in order to reach the 4 bolts that hold the top of the rear bumper to the sill. Two of the four bolts were totally rusted into the spring clips, so they ended up breaking the plastic of the bumper by spinning in place and breaking the plastic tab. But I was able to get the other two out by using lots of penetrating oil and taking my time. Once you've got the plastic bumper removed, the metal reinforcement bar is only attached by 2 bolts and 2 nuts, which come out really easily. There were also 2 bolts in the center of my hitch securing it to the reinforcement bar. So if you don't have a hitch, it should be an easy job, just remove the tail lights and the rear bumper cover, and just watch out for those rusty bolts up under the tip lip.
Have a hitch. Thanks for the tips. (y)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts