Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to replace the rear brake pads on my 2016 Honda Pilot.

This is going to be my first time doing this and I'm surprised at the lack of youtube videos on how to do this for 2016 and later model years. Most videos focus on the front brakes or are for the older Pilot models.

Is there anything that I should be aware of when doing this? Or is replacing the rear brakes the same as with older models?

Thanks

·
Banned
379 Posts
It's disc brakes. Pretty straight forward. Buy good pads. Just crack open master cylinder cap when you compress piston. When you're done with that caliper, close cap on master and pump brakes up then repeat for other side. Just remember you loosened cap. Loosening cap just makes piston compress easier. I know a lot of people don't do that, but they should. Before you start, make sure your fluid level is correct. It's pretty basic.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I'll keep that tip in mind. Doing this tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi slipjohn1, thanks for all the help.

I think my Honda dealership was trying to get me to pay for unnecessary brake work and put fear in me. They were telling me the rear pads were 1mm thick and I would be harming my rotors if I didn't have them changed. I was suspicious as my car only has 27k miles and I don't have a lead foot or brake hard. He even brought me to the back to look at the brakes with the wheels on.

I checked both front and back and they appear fine. The rear pads appear to have 70% life left when compared with new pads. What do you think? I decided to just clean them up and add grease them as per youtube videos.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Reminds me of a service advisor who told me I needed both pads and rotors changed out in a car with 15K miles since new for $1500. When I told him that seemed like awfully short service life, especially to need new rotors, he said this was "normal life for brakes on a big/heavy car." When I told him I wanted to hold off he came back with, "Don't you care about your family's safety?". I wanted to slug him.

Checked them myself and they were maybe 30% worn. I changed them out myself at around 60K, just pads, and these were good to 120K when I sold the car.

Dealers!

- Mark

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just changed my brakes last weekend and had 53k on them and probably could have gone another 10 but didn't feel like doing them in the middle of the winter. So as listed above 27k looks like you can get another 27k without a problem

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm going to replace the rear brake pads on my 2016 Honda Pilot.

This is going to be my first time doing this and I'm surprised at the lack of youtube videos on how to do this for 2016 and later model years. Most videos focus on the front brakes or are for the older Pilot models.

Is there anything that I should be aware of when doing this? Or is replacing the rear brakes the same as with older models?

Thanks
If you are comfortable doing the fronts, you should have no problem with the rears. My 2004 has over 300k on it and I changed the rears this Summer. Just make sure you suspend the caliper and hose to prevent pinching the brake line hose. I have put on 185k without changing the rear rotors. It was time. And because the emergency brake operates on the interior of the rotor hub, like a drum brake, I had to back out the adjustment of the E brake shoes to remove the rotor because a lip had formed at the edge of the E brake surface. So keep an eye on pad wear and your driveway brake jobs should go off without a hitch.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Never trust a dealership to be honest or do anything correctly. Looks like you may get to at least 70K on those.
That is a very incorrect blanket statement. Yes, there are some shady dealers, but there are also lots of good ones. I've had no issues at all with my Honda dealer since I bought my 2012 Pilot new or my wife bought her 2018 CR-V. The dealership has always treated me fairly and done quality work they stand behind. There prices seem reasonable. I have the same opinion of the local Ford dealer that I bought a 2001 Explorer from in 2002. I traded it in on the Pilot. I never had an issue with the Ford dealer trying to cheat me or take advantage of me or suprising me with any unauthorized repairs. They always told me of any needed repairs and let me decide if I wanted the repairs done..

·
Registered
46 Posts
No its not a blanket statement. You should not trust dealerships. Are you blind to the constant complaints about dealerships nationwide involving every make and model? Not saying there are no good dealerships around but you can't just blindly trust them. Get real. Double check and verify their work every time.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks all for your help. Yeah, I think it's good to develop a relationship with your mechanic. I'm not sure about a dealership though. There are definitely good ones out there so if you have one that's great. The one I go to is owned by a group that has several different make dealerships. Service is a big money maker. Even with trust, you should pay heed to your BS meter and/or get a second opinion. You have no idea what's going behind in the garage. I once paid for oil change with rotation and I was never asked for my lug nut keys.But for the most part they do get the job done. You just have to watch out for your pocketbook.

·
Banned
379 Posts
Hi slipjohn1, thanks for all the help.

I think my Honda dealership was trying to get me to pay for unnecessary brake work and put fear in me. They were telling me the rear pads were 1mm thick and I would be harming my rotors if I didn't have them changed. I was suspicious as my car only has 27k miles and I don't have a lead foot or brake hard. He even brought me to the back to look at the brakes with the wheels on.

I checked both front and back and they appear fine. The rear pads appear to have 70% life left when compared with new pads. What do you think? I decided to just clean them up and add grease them as per youtube videos.

View attachment 133007 View attachment 133008 View attachment 133009
Brakes look fine. I've been in the waiting area at dealerships and have seen them pitching bs at people that clearly don't know any better. They suck. They have tried it with me before.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts