Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

it's been a while since I've visited, but the pilot has tipped 30,000 and I see that it's due to have it's interior filter changed (as well as the engine air filter).

Wondering if anyone has done this, and, more importantly, how?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Changing the cabin air filters involves removing the glovebox to get at the filters. I say filters because my '98 Accord had two filters. They'd go in white, come out black.

When the dealer changed them in my Accord, it was $150. $36 for the filters and 1.5 hours labor. That was three years ago. Who knows how long it really took. I personally wouldn't try it myself; if the dealer breaks the glovebox or introduces rattles, they're accountable to fix it. I am interested, though, in how easy or difficult it really is.

·
Registered
226 Posts
SO QUICKLY?

Wow, you got to 30K miles in a hurry.
I know friend of mine has MDX and he had dealer change it for $100. I've heard that it's behind the glove compartment box, but it's not verified. Does Tim sell this filter?
If anyone has done it DIY, please post.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If it is anything like my Acura TL, then it is really very easy if you are even the slightest bit mechanically inclined. I changed mine in the parking lot of the autoparts store. I bought Purolator brand filters for ten bucks (for both) and they looked identical to the OEM, including the HEPA ratings.

There are some good instructions at acura-tl.com. The Pilot box looks to be the same. All you do is (1) dettach the "shock" on the right side that holds the glove box up (one screw), (2) pop out on each side of the interior of the glove box the two rubber gear like stops that keep the box from falling out. Be gentle, don't break'em. (3) fold the box down out of the way (4) On my TL, there is this dotted outlined plastic panel that you are supposed to remove, only I didn't remove it. I cut it on one side and sort of hinged it out of the way. The filters are behind it. Once you do that there's a cover that pops off to reveal the filters. (5) pull out the two filter housings noting the direction of flow. (6) replace the filter elements in the correct direction and put the housings back in. (7) fold the glox box back into position and snap in the stops and (8) reattach the "shock" with the single screw.

Really, don't pay $150 for this. That's ridiculous. It literally took me 15 minutes and that included putzing around for half of it.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
$30 or so for the filter. Easy (if not tedious) replacement the first time around (cutting the plastic brace). A number of us have done it ourselves. Check the MDX forum for pics and instructions.

No way it's worth paying $120 in labor. $25, maybe. Someone who does it all day long should be able to swap it out in 15 minutes.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the help. . . going to try it this weekend.

As for getting to 30,000 pretty quick, I've had the car a year at the end of this month. . . .you live in jersey, you gotta drive.

·
Registered
226 Posts
More detail? Birdman?

Birdman,

thanks for the detail diagram, that's great. Can you please also provide detail of how to remove the glove box? that would really help.

Dano;

Did you replace the filter over the weekend? How did it go? Let us know.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Didn't get to the filter yet. . .probably this weekend. I'll post results when it's done.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Dano, did you DIY?

Dano,

Did you get to replace the filter DIY?
Let us know how it went. How much did the filter cost?

·
Registered
226 Posts
for $70?

Dealer at Diamond Bar Honda is offering $70 to replace the dust & pollen filter.

Does anyone know how much the filter cost?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought a cabin filter yesterday for $35.92 plus tax from Classic Honda in Round Rock, Texas. I installed it this morning in a little under one hour, but next time will be much faster. I had to figure out how to remove the glove box and the plastic cross brace cannot be cut with diagonal cutters as stated in the service manual. I used a Dremel tool with a friction cutoff blade and it worked fine. Be careful of the metal glove box brace. It has a sheared edge which was not finished and it is a knuckle slicer.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yrneh,
Wondering what your mileage was, and what was the condition of the cabin filter that you removed (how dirty)???

·
Registered
5 Posts
My mileage was 39,000+ when I changed the cabin filter. It was filthy and should have been changed earlier, maybe at 20,000. It's a shame that the filter is so hard to access. It is a durable looking filter and I'm sure that it could be blown out several times.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally!

Got around to changing this thing this morning.

Not too tough to do.

Directions are helpful, think they are posted around here someplace.

The filter cost me $41, a little high, but my dealer rips people off regularly.

I didn't completely remove the glove box, just let it hang. And instead of using snips to remove this plastic bar that is discarded, I used a utility knife, much neater.

There are perforations (for lack of a better word) that mark where you need to cut the plastic piece (actually look more like slots).

The piece removes, and under that are four screws, need a philips and a 3/8 nut driver.

If you remove all the screws, save the one that is unreachable on the right underside of glove box, you can keep the glove box on, albeit hanging a bit on the right side.

Removing the filter is easy, replacement easy as well. Do pay attention to the arrow marking air flow when you remove the filter and replace in same direction.

Also, good idea to test the A/C system before reassembling glove box. And a good idea to have a vacuum to remove debris that has collected at base of filter box.

Definitely do this. Air smells fresher, old filter, at 34,500, incredibly dirty.

Good luck!

Dan

·
Registered
964 Posts
Changed the cabin filter today. Took me about 40 minutes. Like Dano I didn't completely remove the glove box. I left the right side secured with the impossible-to-remove screw and just worked around it. Not a difficult job at all. Had my new camera arrived last week I would have taken pictures, sorry.

The filter wasn't as dirty as I had expected it to be. I only have 12,000 miles on the Pilot but with all the smoke and ash floating around these past few weeks from our fires, it was recommended that engine air filters and cabin air filters be replaced. I bought mine about 2 weeks ago for $41 from my local dealer. I'm glad I didn't install it until now because we have had intermittent Santa Ana winds blowing ash from the mountains west into town. Hopefully these winds will diminish and some light rain will soak the ash into the earth.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Dano said:
thanks for all the help. . . going to try it this weekend.

As for getting to 30,000 pretty quick, I've had the car a year at the end of this month. . . .you live in jersey, you gotta drive.
Aint that the truth. 62 miles each way to work on the smelly NJTP. If you know exit 13 like I know exit 13...That filter comes in handy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow, changed my cabin filter this weekend at 29K mi and it looks like should have been changed around 15k. Absolutely black (probably from cinder dust) and even had small leaves in the chamber.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I know this is not directly Pilot related, but interesting to me nontheless.

Will be changing our AC filter on the Pilot when it hits 30k.

However, changed it on our TL today, and this is what it looked like.

TL filter is 2 years old, with 30k on it.

It was dirtier than I thought it would be. And we do not drive in dusty, dirty conditions.

May do the Pilot earlier.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts