Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Pilot EX-L
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed stock halogen bulbs to a pair of LEDs yesterday. On the driver side, there's plenty room to work with. The passenger side was a nightmare. The coolant reservoir and windshield washer reservoir are in the way, the space was so tight that it's almost impossible to fit your hand in between. I struggled for 15 minutes, finally was able to swap out the bulb barely. The LED bulbs come with separate driver, didn't want to have it dangling down there, but there's no way I could have it secured somewhere due to such tight space.
I wonder if there's a better way to do this, maybe the washer reservoir neck is removable? Or by removing one of the reservoirs?

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,876 Posts
What do you mean by a separate driver for the bulbs? What make of bulbs? If the dangling part is a resistor they can get quite warm so they need to be kept away from any parts that are plastic.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot EX-L
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought Sealight X2 9005/HB3:
Yes, I'm also worrying about the heat, not sure how hot it will be. see image below:

·
Administrator
4,876 Posts
I would definitely monitor the heat to make sure it doesn't get too hot for any plastic parts. The external resistors used for led turn signal replacements usually suggest attracting them to some piece of metal due to the heat.

Also if you are an FM radio listener, turn on the radio then turn on the high beams. Seems some people report interference with their radios with these bulbs.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I have used LED replacement bulbs, the driver has a resistor component to it but does not get nearly as hot as a resistor for an LED turn signal bulb. The metal heat sink on the bulb itself can get quite hot given how hard these LEDs are driven to get the brightness required to sell the bulbs. That's why most of the bulbs have a fan on the base of them.

There is a common misnomer that LEDs don't get hot. LEDs do get hot, but in most applications they aren't driven this hard or the PCB they are mounted to is large enough they don't produce enough heat to need active cooling (a fan).

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Administrator
4,876 Posts
I have used LED replacement bulbs, the driver has a resistor component to it but does not get nearly as hot as a resistor for an LED turn signal bulb. The metal heat sink on the bulb itself can get quite hot given how hard these LEDs are driven to get the brightness required to sell the bulbs. That's why most of the bulbs have a fan on the base of them.

There is a common misnomer that LEDs don't get hot. LEDs do get hot, but in most applications they aren't driven this hard or the PCB they are mounted to is large enough they don't produce enough heat to need active cooling (a fan).
Good information. My experience with resisters with LED's has so far been with turn signal bulbs and they do get quite warm.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Good information. My experience with resisters with LED's has so far been with turn signal bulbs and they do get quite warm.
I can't speak to every brand since there are so many but I know the Supernova brand (the ones the OP bought are the off-label version) don't get too hot to touch while operating.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
2020 Pilot EX-L
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would definitely monitor the heat to make sure it doesn't get too hot for any plastic parts. The external resistors used for led turn signal replacements usually suggest attracting them to some piece of metal due to the heat.

Also if you are an FM radio listener, turn on the radio then turn on the high beams. Seems some people report interference with their radios with these bulbs.
That thing itself is a plastic box, so I guess it shouldn't be melting hot right? I emailed the support asking how hot it can get, will post the response once they reply.
Regarding radio interference, I tried, though not extensively since they're high beam, didn't find any so far.

·
Administrator
4,876 Posts
That thing itself is a plastic box, so I guess it shouldn't be melting hot right? I emailed the support asking how hot it can get, will post the response once they reply.
Regarding radio interference, I tried, though not extensively since they're high beam, didn't find any so far.
Well you would think that the manufacturer would use materials that are right for the item. Glad there is no radio interference. I wanted to switch out the lights in the garage door openers to LED. Good light, but the things were very hard to get to open with the remotes after that. Called the garaged door company that installed them and first question I was asked was, have you put in LED bulbs. Replaced them with incandescent bulbs and everything was back to normal.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot EX-L
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Reply from Sealight customer support:
"I have confirmed the operating temperature information of the external drive box with my colleagues in the R&D department
During operation, the temperature of the headlight bulbs chips is 190℉, while the external driver box is 100℉. This temperature will not damage the plastic surface of other wires
."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts