Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Honda Pilot EX-L 264k miles (RIP)
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'04 Pilot
When I drained it I got ~3 quarts, I put 3.2 qts in per specifications. I drove a few miles, parked, turned the engine off and let it sit for a few minutes before checking it. Can't seem to find a level on the dipstick. Should I throw another quart in?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,276 Posts
Could it have been low to begin with?

In both instances, was it parked on level ground?

You didn't notice any leaks, did you?

Edit: Just remembered that sometimes if you're not careful, the dipstick doesn't go in all the way. Don't force it too much, but do ascertain it's in all the way.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could it have been low to begin with?

In both instances, was it parked on level ground?

You didn't notice any leaks, did you?
I've yet to notice any transmission leaks. I had some locals charge me for a flush in October but I'm assuming they just changed it. I believe it was low before.

Manual specifies 3.2 for a change and 8.2 overall or some junk. Hypothetically if there's only 5.2 in it, will I still be able to drain 3.2?

Edit: Change performed in garage, so about as level as you can get. I made sure the dipstick was in the hole, maybe a little more force than necessary after not seeing any fluid the first couple times.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,276 Posts
Well in any case, you should normally see it on the dipstick. Maybe add a little incrementally, and recheck each time?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well in any case, you should normally see it on the dipstick. Maybe add a little incrementally, and recheck each time?
Do I need to run it around a few minutes, or is there a period of time it takes for the fluid to settle to the dipstick if not running? I figure as long as I see something on it, cold or hot, I've got fluid.

The smell of the old fluid was a God awful pungent odor and it looked like red death. Previously had water in it and I'm curious if after the shop "flushed" it, there was still water in it and it burned off, making it lower than it should have been. I don't know, I'm just going to take your incremental advice and I'll let you know if I screw the pooch.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Do I need to run it around a few minutes, or is there a period of time it takes for the fluid to settle to the dipstick if not running? I figure as long as I see something on it, cold or hot, I've got fluid.

The smell of the old fluid was a God awful pungent odor and it looked like red death. Previously had water in it and I'm curious if after the shop "flushed" it, there was still water in it and it burned off, making it lower than it should have been. I don't know, I'm just going to take your incremental advice and I'll let you know if I screw the pooch.
ATF may leak but it doesn't get "burned off". Water mixed in ATF sounds concerning! Did you traverse some river crossing? Was there visible separation of the incompatible liquids in the drain pan? Some of the first generation Pilot owners have experienced an unfortunate radiator issue that allowed coolant+ATF to mix......something to consider.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts