Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess somehow I had overlooked that this had one...so just never thought about it. For some reason not long ago I happened to think and wonder if it had one and sure enough...it did! And it was pretty nasty. I cleaned up the old one and put it back in for about 2 days until a new one arrived from Amazon for $7.47 cant beat that!

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Ours looks like that every year... yay for living/parking under trees all the time. Thankfully it's really easy to change on these vehicles.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
145 Posts
I bought a used Toyota Highlander once and previous owner was convinced that the HVAC fan was on its way out. Once I had the car, I pulled the cabin filter out (took a while, it didn't really want to come out). On top of that filter there was like a solid 4 inches of packed grass and leaves. Took me a while vacuum all of that out. I guess they didn;t even know there was a cabin filter and hadn't changed it once.
I change mine once every season (once at the end of pollen season and once just before winter).

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
Wow, that is dirty!
I just changed out both of my Pilots Cabin AF's.
Even my 08- original filter, wasn't quite that bad.

Here's my recent thread on how a PITA the 08 is/was.

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was not just the leaves on top that are so visible. There was quite a bit of dirt and stuff down in the pleats. Maybe about half full. Really the main thing was (other than some air flow restriction) was to get any smell of old musty out with a nice new filter.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
Does the second gen also have a rear blower that can equally benefit from a good vacuuming, especially if it's never been done?

In the first gen it's here, under the center console near your right foot...

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 194,000 miles
349 Posts
Does the second gen also have a rear blower that can equally benefit from a good vacuuming, especially if it's never been done?

In the first gen it's here, under the center console near your right foot...

View attachment 140608
Right when I saw this, I went to go check mine. I didn’t know there was an intake for the rear system. I’m guessing I’m the first one that has ever checked it lol

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How do you access that? I don't see how the panel pulls off.

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the panel off. Looked at both the drivers side and passenger side and did not see a blower or the screen to clean. Not sure where it is on mine.

·
Registered
10,323 Posts
It changed locations, it is only at that location on 2003-2005’s.
2003-2008 = behind the console panel near the driver's right foot. Easiest is the grab it near the gas pedal and pull out moving toward the seat as the clips pop out.

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah. That second video helped. I did not look deep enough the first time. Mine had some dirt and lint.

It was a pain to access. Could not get the vacuum to all of it. So cleaned it with a small brush then vacuumed that up.

·
Registered
10,323 Posts
As mysterious and inaccessible as the 1st gen rear blower is, the 2nd gen seems to be even more of a challenge. I wonder what the infinitesimal number of people is who succeed in doing what you did and was clearly helpful on a 2nd gen.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have an '07 Pilot. The first step, if you are original owner or first to replace the cabin arir filter, is to cut the structure that runs in front of the filter door. Like, what is that all about? Build a new house, if you want to go inside remove the brick wall we built in front of the door. Honda engineers discuss the issue, and were probably like, no one will ever change filter anyway.
Don't forget to change your blinker fluid filter peeps.

·
Registered
10,323 Posts
Yeah, like removing a chastity belt for the first time you go at it. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
If you didn't have a rat's nest, yours wasn't that bad. :p

1 - 20 of 41 Posts