Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever successfully changed out the driver side headlight bulb without removing the bumper? I can just get the passenger side on and off by loosening the wiper fluid well but the driver side eludes me. I've taken off the air intake and considered going through the wheel well. Nothing. If you did, how did you accomplish it?

·
Administrator
15,514 Posts
according to the owners manual, You only need to remove the bumper to replace the headlight.
on the drivers side remove the air intake.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
removed the damn battery , intake and find someone with small hands ..if not unplug the bulb first then you can twist it loose with your fingers ..after cursing and giving your thoughts on Honda's products ..install is in the reverse order

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have big hands and I was able to do it by just removing the air intake snorkel. I followed this video:

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Intake duct comes off. Remove the hold-down bolts for the battery, and you can move it back slightly to make just enough room.

Author's note: I have "radio announcer's hands" -- wee paws for station identification, and generally don't have trouble with such things. :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes to the above, it's a pain in the ass but possible once you remove the intake. I am pretty sure I didn't move the battery.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I have a HID system and projectors installed which I think makes this a bit trickier. Is there a way to remove the bottom half of the snorkel? It looks like its a separate piece from the airbox but I can't seem to separate the two.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Projectors on a 2nd gen? Must look nice got pics ?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I finally got it done. In the end, I had to remove the battery like Tahoefever suggested, unplugged all the wiring there for the HID system, tell myself to man up, crammed my arm in there, and used my fingertips to finesse it out. Even then I had to work it for a solid 15 Minutes to get the igniter off.

The projectors were retrofitted by another member on this forum. Unfortunately, I think he's moved on from his Pilot. Yes it looks amazing in the housing but even more importantly, it really improves the lighting in front of me.

Heres the thread where we did the final install on it.

https://www.piloteers.org/threads/how-i-spend-my-saturday-night.142665/#post-1449257

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Nice ! I would love to retro fit a set Just don't know what proper parts to get for the switch over :)

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Nice ! I would love to retro fit a set Just don't know what proper parts to get for the switch over :)
A little searching will find more threads on some of the DIY retrofits. I thing that The Retrofit Source (dot com...) has the full parts list by now. For sure you'll want the projectors, the bulbs and ballasts, the surrounds of your choice, the adhesive for the plastic lens, and the wiring adapter or relay kit (depends on bulb choice and wattage). I'm not clear yet n the best way to manage the DRL/Main Beam hookup, as I'm pretty sure I'd want dual-beam projectors but maintain the existing DRL and flash-to-pass functions in the main beam bulbs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Has anyone ever successfully changed out the driver side headlight bulb without removing the bumper? I can just get the passenger side on and off by loosening the wiper fluid well but the driver side eludes me. I've taken off the air intake and considered going through the wheel well. Nothing. If you did, how did you accomplish it?
I just had to do this on my 2015... I removed the intake to give myself a little more room and worked at it for a while contorting in various ways, but finally accomplished replacing the bulb without taking the bumper off. Didn't have to move the battery either. It's difficult but possible. Helps if you have arms like a Spider Monkey.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Not as bad as my 2014 Mazda 6. Gotta remove wheel liner and bust knuckles, cuss and deal with wiring that has zero play. You can only get two fingers in there—not even a thumb.

·
Registered
478 Posts
What really helps is a small stepladder. I am 5'9" and Pilot hood is tall enough that reaching in is hard But once a foot off the ground, I was actually able to reach in and change the foglight bulb! A head mounted flashlight is also a great help.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
A little searching will find more threads on some of the DIY retrofits. I thing that The Retrofit Source (dot com...) has the full parts list by now. For sure you'll want the projectors, the bulbs and ballasts, the surrounds of your choice, the adhesive for the plastic lens, and the wiring adapter or relay kit (depends on bulb choice and wattage). I'm not clear yet n the best way to manage the DRL/Main Beam hookup, as I'm pretty sure I'd want dual-beam projectors but maintain the existing DRL and flash-to-pass functions in the main beam bulbs.
Look on DriveAccord forums, a member named DreaminAccord did a retrofit on his 7th Gen Accord when I did mine, I did not hook up the solenoid to activate the high beams as I have the eternal fear of parts failures and would rather not open up the headlights again, and I rarely get to use high beams where I live.

Anyway, he detailed the harness he created and what relays were needed to ensure that the solenoid wasn't receiving PWM power from the DRLs, which would cause the solenoid to fail in the projector, while maintaining the ability to have "quad" high beams. I'm pretty sure the solenoid still operated in a "flash to pass" scenario but that's full power and within their capability.

I haven't checked on TRS for a while, they may even have a harness suitable for the Honda system by now if you prefer premade wiring harnesses.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts