Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Chance to buy a sweet 2008 Pilot!!

6K views 57 replies 13 participants last post by  CivicDisobedience 
#1 ·
First time post! I am the proud owner of a 2004 EXL with 250K and still going strong. No major issues and just some rust in
the rear right well. Car is my go to for anything...
Now, I have a chance to buy a 2008 EXL with 73K original miles...no rust, dents, clean Car fax.....for 10 thousand (from a dealer, too)
First, good deal? I'm trying to get them to do it for 10 out the door.
Second, I heard that 2008 has great reliability record (this car will be for my son....first car!). I heard 2009's had some issues?
(and I'm not really fond of the new interior and exterior appearance.)

I know the 2008 won't last at the dealer ...I've missed out on a few others over the last few months....
Thank for the suggestions

#3 ·
I dont like the price, but the used vehicle market is high priced right now.
As soon as I got it, I'd disable the VCM and switch the ATF to Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife.
Has the Timing Belt been replaced? It should have been changed out 5-6 years ago.

#4 ·
Sorry, no pictures (yet). But it is silver and spotless. So I guess I'm just looking for some wise advice from Piloteers.
For example, my '04 does not have the VCM engine...so how is that working out? Any issues?
Also, it seems that oil consumption issues are plaguing all years after '09......I have no issues with mine. Any comments?

Thanks again

Thanks for the price input. Yes the timing belt was changed with last few years.

#5 ·
I know the 2008 won't last at the dealer ...I've missed out on a few others over the last few months....
Thank for the suggestions
Regardless of the price or how shiny the paint is ....you need to check out the Piloteers exclusive First Gen Checklist:

#10 ·
I know the 2008 won't last at the dealer
They do tend to go like hotcakes, even at those prices, especially if they're rust-free.

I've missed out on a few because I was "thinking it over."

The '08 I'm looking at is 4wd...so no VCM? Starting in '09 was it standard on 4wd?
You are correct, sir. And BTW, welcome to the forum.

#15 ·
Any car with that low mileage won't have many problem and VCM would not have possibly caused any damage by then. I personally know many people who own Hondas with VCM with over 200k miles on it. No oil consumption, clogged cats, transmission issues. While this is a relatively small sample size, it seems like majority of owners have no issues. I just don't buy it when people say VCM will destroy your engine. Sometimes it may contribute to issues but it is not the only cause.

#19 ·
A car this old is still going to have seals in it that are 12 years old, and are going to need replacing regardless of mileage. This includes power steering pumps, hoses, water pumps, belts, etc. anything rubber is going to need replacement. That car isn’t worth $10k. The interior tech is old, these cars don’t drive that great and you could probably find a slightly More used car in a newer body style and see more of a return later on. I’m just not convinced that low miles mean much when those seals have all been sitting for 12 years whether the car has moved or not.

if the timing belt, waterPump and tensioner hasn’t been done, it must be done at this cost level
I would want ALL service records and if it’s not Honda dealer maintained i would never take the car.
Knowing when the brakes and rotors and brake fluid were last replaced. Brake fluid that’s 12 years old can damage a system by this time. It should be changed every 3 years max.
Valve cover gaskets will need to be done soon. Be prepared for this. They are hard as a rock at this point.

#22 ·
anything rubber is going to need replacement. That car isn’t worth $10k.
For many contributors here, that's absolutely correct. $10k for this car is unrealistic.

However, "the market" is paying crazy prices for old Pilots. If it wasn't the same for anything I would replace it with, I would sell mine.

I think it's just a bad time to be shopping. I would wait a year, if possible. I think they'll be a lot more reasonable in the not-too-distant future.

#20 · (Edited)
One problem is that it's a dealer selling it. Typically, they'll put lipstick on it and sell it for 3 times what they paid for it.

Doesn't mean it isn't good, though. The real crappers they fob off on the lot sellers.

#21 ·
#23 ·
So here is the highlights on the CarFax on this '08 Pilot:
ALL service done at Honda dealership (same dealer it is being sold from too...)
Regular oil changes at 5500k
Trans/diffrerntial oil change at 30K
Front brakes serviced/Rear replaced at 42K
Left air bag recall/replaced and Induction system service (what is that..?) at 45K
Tensioner/idler checked at 49K
Brake fluid flush at 52K
New tires (Michelins) at 54K
Antifreeze change, differential/rear differential at 57K
Battery replaced at 69K
A/C service at 72K
Radiator replaced at 73K

Seems well cared for........still worth 10K? (I know, I'm sure they bought on the real cheap and trying to squeeze every penny for it, too...but hey..it seems like it might be worth it?!)

Thanks

#27 ·
OK, it's not a new vehicle, but it seems in pretty good shape, and a well-maintained Pilot has a proven track record of reliability. How much would you be paying for a new vehicle?

#29 ·
The service records show this vehicle has been well cared for, so that is a definite plus. Good luck if you decide to negotiate for it.

#30 ·
There is no way to check the idler pulley on the timing belt without completely dismantling the serpentine belt, tensioner, etc etc. to be able to get the covers off so this part isn’t true. And checking the tensioner would be tough to see because it’s partially covered by the timing belt cover. I guess you can check it for leaks but there are so many other things in the timing system that could go bad with this much age. I think Honda recommends 7 years or 105k miles. The belt is old. It needs changed.

The water pump has a rubber seal on it that’s 12 years old. You’re in for a huge expense if this starts to leak. I’d offer $7500 OTD on this car and let them come back with an offer. Your going into it way too excited and thinking this is some kind of gem car. It’s not. It’s an old pilot that they made hundreds of thousands of. Emotion in a car purchase always results in self pressure that you won’t be able to get into this “ultra rare” car and pay too much.

#32 ·
OEM stereo (and after market backup camera, I would guess). I've seen them, the screen clips to dash and camera is attached to above license plate.
I'm probably not going to have them do that.
Separate to the CarFax, the description of the car explicitly said new timing belt.
thanks for the advice on the opening offer. I was going to start at 8 OTD and then show them a check to get the negotiations going.

#33 ·
I don't know how much of this holds to buying a "previously loved" vehicle, but interesting nonetheless.

#36 ·
My best recommendation would be to reach out to your insurance company, and see how much the value of the vehicle is through them. Other thing to do is try and find comparable's as well. In regards to pricing, see if you can get them to do $9999 (or less) out the door cash, that will keep them from having to file a bunch of extra tax paperwork. Or better yet see if you can possibly get a better OTD price via their financing, and then use your preferred lender/loan to pay it off the next day if not paying cash. This will give the illusion to the dealer they might actually make some of that price-cut back on interest, and you'll get an extra "paid as agreed" entry on your credit score for a structured loan (win-win for you, only person getting the sour side of the deal is the Dealer, which they will easily make-up for by gouging another person at some point for something).

One other thing to find out... what is the Down Payment requirement for the vehicle. This price in some cases can reflect what they paid for it on a trade-in/otherwise.

Good luck! As a reference point, in June 2020 I got a 08 EX-L with 129k miles on it for $6750 before title + tax, for further details about it's condition, see my thread here.

#38 ·
UPDATE:
No deal on the Pilot....they will knock off $200...so out the door would be 11500.
My top figure was 10-10200.Tried every negotiation...they wouldn’t budge....kept saying they have “huge” interest in it.
Kind of pissed. It not getting “emotional” enough to make a wrong decision.
There will be another!

#39 ·
Wait a few weeks and see if it’s still on the lot. Perhaps they will be more willing to negotiate then. Otherwise it wasn’t meant to be. That Pilot isn’t worth $11.5k out the door.

Reactions: Tacoma'03Pilot
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.