Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time post! I am the proud owner of a 2004 EXL with 250K and still going strong. No major issues and just some rust in
the rear right well. Car is my go to for anything...
Now, I have a chance to buy a 2008 EXL with 73K original miles...no rust, dents, clean Car fax.....for 10 thousand (from a dealer, too)
First, good deal? I'm trying to get them to do it for 10 out the door.
Second, I heard that 2008 has great reliability record (this car will be for my son....first car!). I heard 2009's had some issues?
(and I'm not really fond of the new interior and exterior appearance.)

I know the 2008 won't last at the dealer ...I've missed out on a few others over the last few months....
Thank for the suggestions

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
I dont like the price, but the used vehicle market is high priced right now.
As soon as I got it, I'd disable the VCM and switch the ATF to Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife.
Has the Timing Belt been replaced? It should have been changed out 5-6 years ago.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, no pictures (yet). But it is silver and spotless. So I guess I'm just looking for some wise advice from Piloteers.
For example, my '04 does not have the VCM engine...so how is that working out? Any issues?
Also, it seems that oil consumption issues are plaguing all years after '09......I have no issues with mine. Any comments?

Thanks again
As soon as I got it, I'd disable the VCM and switch the ATF to Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife.
Has the Timing Belt been replaced? It should have been changed out 5-6 years ago.
Thanks for the price input. Yes the timing belt was changed with last few years.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I know the 2008 won't last at the dealer ...I've missed out on a few others over the last few months....
Thank for the suggestions
Regardless of the price or how shiny the paint is ....you need to check out the Piloteers exclusive First Gen Checklist:

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Good thing my 2008 w/ 185K+ miles, has had no problem with the still VCM working.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,241 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the checklist....looks very thorough....great read!!!

So, I basically see that some people really don't like the VCM......is it really that good or bad?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the checklist....looks very thorough....great read!!!

So, I basically see that some people really don't like the VCM......is it really that good or bad?
The '08 I'm looking at is 4wd...so no VCM? Starting in '09 was it standard on 4wd?

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
I know the 2008 won't last at the dealer
They do tend to go like hotcakes, even at those prices, especially if they're rust-free.

I've missed out on a few because I was "thinking it over."

The '08 I'm looking at is 4wd...so no VCM? Starting in '09 was it standard on 4wd?
You are correct, sir. And BTW, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
Good thing my 2008 w/ 185K+ miles, has had no problem with the still VCM working.
If you have an active VCM, make no mistake, it's wreaking havoc. This was my 2012 V6 Crosstour at 180k. Cylinder #4 with burnt oil deposits on the outside. The spark plugs were always oily. Began being plagued with P0420 and P0430 codes. $1000 bill for replacement OEM cats because of all the oil vapors that clogged them.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
If you have an active VCM, make no mistake, it's wreaking havoc. This was my 2012 V6 Crosstour at 180k. Cylinder #4 with burnt oil deposits on the outside. The spark plugs were always oily. Began being plagued with P0420 and P0430 codes. $1000 bill for replacement OEM cats because of all the oil vapors that clogged them.
View attachment 142296
The unseen and unknown damage that gets passed onto the next unsuspecting Pilot purchaser buying on the “old” Honda reliability myth that used to be true. The damage is a cascading event ultimately leading to the innocent and inexplicable misfires, clogged CAT etc. Rant over....sticking with my ‘04

·
Registered
9,241 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,399 Posts
Any car with that low mileage won't have many problem and VCM would not have possibly caused any damage by then. I personally know many people who own Hondas with VCM with over 200k miles on it. No oil consumption, clogged cats, transmission issues. While this is a relatively small sample size, it seems like majority of owners have no issues. I just don't buy it when people say VCM will destroy your engine. Sometimes it may contribute to issues but it is not the only cause.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
Any car with that low mileage won't have many problem and VCM would not have possibly caused any damage by then. I personally know many people who own Hondas with VCM with over 200k miles on it. No oil consumption, clogged cats, transmission issues. While this is a relatively small sample size, it seems like majority of owners have no issues. I just don't buy it when people say VCM will destroy your engine. Sometimes it may contribute to issues but it is not the only cause.
🤦‍♂️

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
:unsure:

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,399 Posts
🤦‍♂️
I reread what I wrote and I guess I could have proofread it a little better.

Also I’m sure we could all find enough evidence to support our claims either way.

Either way I’m happy with my newish Hondas and I wouldn’t have any problem buying another used one provided it was maintained correctly and drove well.

·
Read Only
293 Posts
A car this old is still going to have seals in it that are 12 years old, and are going to need replacing regardless of mileage. This includes power steering pumps, hoses, water pumps, belts, etc. anything rubber is going to need replacement. That car isn’t worth $10k. The interior tech is old, these cars don’t drive that great and you could probably find a slightly More used car in a newer body style and see more of a return later on. I’m just not convinced that low miles mean much when those seals have all been sitting for 12 years whether the car has moved or not.

if the timing belt, waterPump and tensioner hasn’t been done, it must be done at this cost level
I would want ALL service records and if it’s not Honda dealer maintained i would never take the car.
Knowing when the brakes and rotors and brake fluid were last replaced. Brake fluid that’s 12 years old can damage a system by this time. It should be changed every 3 years max.
Valve cover gaskets will need to be done soon. Be prepared for this. They are hard as a rock at this point.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
One problem is that it's a dealer selling it. Typically, they'll put lipstick on it and sell it for 3 times what they paid for it.

Doesn't mean it isn't good, though. The real crappers they fob off on the lot sellers.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts