Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The major contrasts led me to the Pilot 2019. It is a shame Toyota didn’t correct a number of this flaws in the Highlander.

Here’s the article that was released just a few hours ago:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I don't think Toyota ever will unless it kills the Sequoia. Unlike Honda they have a bigger 4WD/AWD soccer-mom mobile so they would rather push customers up to that than cannibalize it's sales with the Highlander. Even better, that Sequoia is sooooo old by now every sale is just gravy since they had to have paid off the development and engineering costs by now.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So continue with the contraption of 3 row SUV since they have a full 2 row RAV-4, 2.5 row Highlander and 3 row Sequoia. By the way, they also have the 4-runner. I see why they won’t correct the flaws in the Highlander now. They should keep it.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
So continue with the contraption of 3 row SUV since they have a full 2 row RAV-4, 2.5 row Highlander and 3 row Sequoia. By the way, they also have the 4-runner. I see why they won’t correct the flaws in the Highlander now. They should keep it.

I'd contest that people that buy the 4Runner really aren't cross shopping other 2 row or 3 row (yea I know you can get it with a 3rd row) SUVs outside of maybe the Wrangler and soon-to-be Bronco. You either get a 4Runner because you are willing to give up on creature comfort and size for something that is more off-road worthy and rugged. So I'd say the progression you laid out is accurate. Rav4 for couples and maybe 1 kid, move up to the Highlander with more kids and visiting family/road trips, move up to the Sequoia if you have enough kids or crap or just want something bigger.

You could have also thrown the Land Cruiser out there, but like the 4Runner it's in an entirely different class of vehicle with $90k MSRP. But it does have 3 rows and these ones fold up to the side like they always used to in Land Cruisers.

Reactions: Stride

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
Here’s the article that was released just a few hours ago:
And the Subaru Ascent beats the Pilot:
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/sub...ent-vs-2020-honda-pilot-3-row-suv-comparison/

But then read the latest installment of the long-term test of an Ascent:
Why Our Subaru Ascent Spent Almost 3 Months at the Dealership - Motor Trend

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
2020 Subaru Ascent vs. 2020 Honda Pilot: 3-Row SUV Comparison - Motor Trend

I'd say the Subaru is comparable to the Pilot where the Highlander really isn't. I classify 3 row crossovers as adult/older child capable (Traverse/Pilot/Atlas/Ascent/Telluride/Palisade/etc.) and small child only (CX-9/Tiguan/Highlander/etc.).

Now the Ascent has plenty of foibles on its own, if you are using the LATCH setup for car seats and trying to maintain 3rd row access apparently the layout forces you to remove the car seat any time you want access to the 3rd row. It also has a turbo 4 and a CVT, either alone may be enough to dissuade buyers. Personally I think all of the adult capable 3 rows are worth of consideration and would have to drive and play with the car seat installs in each to make the final determination. BUT, the Highlander would NOT be on my list.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Lexus/toyota is falling flat on their face and they somewhat admit it. Lexus did announce in the next couple of years they will release a mid-sized suv to compete and by then I may make the jump to Lexus. I want a luxury and reliable suv that is japanese and so far no one has met the check list. I think currently the Pilot ex-l would be the most reliable 3 row in the Japanese market.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2020 Subaru Ascent vs. 2020 Honda Pilot: 3-Row SUV Comparison - Motor Trend

Yeah, I agree the one that spent 3 months at the dealership was jinxed. Definitely not representative of the entire fleet of Ascents. But when I got here in the review where it says: “... standard 2.4-liter turbocharged flat-four, which produces 260 hp and 277 lb-ft of torque and is paired with a CVT...” they lost me! That can’t compare favorably with what we have in the Pilot. I also don’t like the Ascent’s reliance on two optical sensors at the top of the windshield. I like the fact the Pilot uses two different means to achieve that although it’s more expensive to replace when damaged in a collision. I also prefer the torque vectoring technology on the Pilot AWD. I’ll take the Pilot over the Ascent any day!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts