Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To Chamois or Not To Chamois...that is my question. And of course, if the the answer is, " To Chamois", then when to chamois would be the follow up. Is it better instead to use the 100% Terry Cotton Towels for washing and waxing?
It's been 17 years since my last new car, and I was always taught to wash and chamois, but I'm not sure that is the way to go....
Please advise.:confused:

·
Registered
919 Posts
I mentioned in another thread that I usually make my first dry pass with a leaf blower. It gets about 80% of the water off. I follow up with a soft microfiber towel (a high quality cotton towel works great too) and I don't have any problems with swirls, scratches, etc.

Chris

·
Registered
289 Posts
Has anyone tried...

the California Water Blade. I saw one at www.cccc.com and it looked really good if it works.:8:

·
Registered
59 Posts
One of the best web resources I have ever found is the detailing forum at Autopia. The people there have forgotten more than I will ever know about car care. Since getting the new Pilot, I have learned so much just by reading thru the forums. I'm not sure I want to be as wrapped up in it as some of their members are, but I sure do appreciate the chance to know what they know about taking care of my car. (disclaimer: I'm not even a registered member and have never posted there)

I don't think many of these folks use the old-fashioned chamois anymore. A lot of people seem to use a synthetic chamois called "the Absorber", about $10 at Walmart of most auto parts stores. Many many others use microfiber towels, which can be obtained from various sources, but try to find a 16" x 16" plush terry loop microfiber towel for about $2.00...there are a couple good sources on the web, plus eBay.

I use a tool called the California Water Blade to knock off most of the water from the Pilot, then finish drying with microfiber towels. It takes me about 5 towels and 15 minutes to get the Pilot dry and lint free, and I really like the microfiber towels...I would certainly recommend them to you.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Re: Has anyone tried...

copilot said:
the California Water Blade. I saw one at www.cccc.com and it looked really good if it works.:8:
I just bought one yesterday...I can't wait to try it...and the leaf blower trick as well!

·
Registered
14 Posts
This may seem strange but I use the blower function of our Kirby vacuum to remove most of the water before wiping it down. I 've never used a microfiber towel but will definetly make the purchase this weekend. The delivery of my Pilot has been delayed to early next week. I can't wait!

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
The Absorber is a good alternative to towels, if you'd rather use that. Obviously, it's just for drying and not for washing.

CA waterblade is effective, but if you've left behind any debris (small rock, etc) you'll be dragging it across your paint = scratch.

IMO the best way to dry (without the leaf blower, which is great for a quick blast and for nooks'n'crannies - just make sure the nozzle is clean w/no debris) is to take the nozzle off the end of the hose, use full flow about 2" from the surface, and sheet the water off. I only need 1 bath-sized towel to dry the whole car after that.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Water Sprite

For years I have tried Chamois and all the fakes. The one I like the best was a fake called Water Sprite...made in Holland. I have had 3 of them ranging from 10-20 years old (yes, the first car I used one with was an 82 Monte Carlo)...most getting tattered, torn, etc. They work well because they absorb like other fakes, but they "glide" over the paint instead of sticking and rolling. Ring out really easy as well.

Well, the Sprites are old...could not find them anymore so I hoarded one in the package for 10 years. So I broke out the one last new one (could not find them anymore) and started using it.

Just out of curiosity, I went to google and typed Water Sprite. I found some hits on people that sell it for 15-18 bucks. Heck I paid about $4 for it at an Osco drug store. But as long as I had them, I guess even $18 is around only a buck a year. I use the older torn ones to wipe off tires, under fenders, and door jambs, etc.

Try one....by the way, they take about 10 washes to really "break in".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts