Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot Black Edition
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it took me 4 days to ceramic coat my Pilot and it'm a happy camper! It's not perfect by any means. It's the first time I did this and there was a number of learning curves. I followed exactly what the instructions indicated, Wash Clean>>Clay bar>>Polish using DA polisher>>Surface Prep>>1st Coating>>2nd Coating>>Ceramic Boost. I used the Turtle Jet Black wax, Meguiar's Clay Bar Kit, 10" Craftsman DA Polisher and Adam's UV Ceramic Paint Coating Kit (purchased the UV flashlight separately). The work from home helped a lot since after logging out of work I went straight to my garage to work on the auto, plus the car gets the curing it needs with being in the garage the entire day. There were little to none swirls since it's a 5mo old car with 3K miles on it. I exhausted the entire 50ml bottle for the 2 coatings, including the trims but not the windows and windshield. I felt it will make it brittle, but there's not enough product anyway.

The 5th day was when I cleaned the wheels. I was so excited doing the coating that I neglected to clean the wheels. I was wondering if it's worth doing this to the wheels. Any advice?

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
The results are stunning and truly speak for themselves. Bravo!

I would definitely do the wheels, anything to combat brake dust and road grim buildup.

Reactions: MZX and JayBawan

·
Registered
390 Posts
I did my wheels with cquartz dlux and they dont get as dirty and are easier to clean. I did the windows with flyby forte and the rain beads off. The bugs wipe off easier also. I used duragloss enviroshield on another car including windows and rims and it works great as well.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I'm not a fan of black cars but I gotta say, this looks really nice. One tip I can give to you is to use an old sponge or something to clean the wheel wells. I hate when my car and those are still dirty. I have one question. Can you use one of those microfiber hand polishers instead of the DA? I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a machine that I'll only use once.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I'm not a fan of black cars but I gotta say, this looks really nice. One tip I can give to you is to use an old sponge or something to clean the wheel wells. I hate when my car and those are still dirty. I have one question. Can you use one of those microfiber hand polishers instead of the DA? I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a machine that I'll only use once.
You can hand polish but the results will never be as consistent and the "depth?" of polishing won't be the same. Maybe you can rent or borrow, the prep is the most critical part of this process and the polishing is arguably the most important part of the prep.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The results are stunning and truly speak for themselves. Bravo!

I would definitely do the wheels, anything to combat brake dust and road grim buildup.
Thanks..hopefully I can maintain this long enough..

·
Registered
62 Posts
You can certainly user a microfiber towel instead of a DA. The DA polisher does help if you have extensive paint correction that needs to be done. Usually not an issue with a lighter paint color or with a newer vehicle.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did my wheels with cquartz dlux and they dont get as dirty and are easier to clean. I did the windows with flyby forte and the rain beads off. The bugs wipe off easier also. I used duragloss enviroshield on another car including windows and rims and it works great as well.
Did you prep your wheels like clay or polish? I'm thinking it needs preparation but with the small area and grooves it seems a tedious task..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the tip!

If you're applying ceramic coating I really recommend using DA, polishing and paint correction are the most important steps I would think since this polished surface is what you will be projecting in your car. Any swirls or scratches not removed from using microfiber hand polishers will not be removed or covered by the ceramic coating.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Does a ceramic coating have better UV inhibitors than the Turtle Wax ceramic spray?

·
Registered
390 Posts
I clay bard the rims then washed them with dawn to break down any wax or residue. Theres special car wash to clean off the wax but I didnt want to spend the money. Dried them good so no water spots (water hides in the lug nut holes). Mybtouring rims were easy. My other cars rims are similar to the black edition and it was a little time consuming but worth it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I used the rest of the carpro dlux and duragloss on my interior plastic trim. It stays glossy and hopefully protects the painted button indicators from wearing away

·
Registered
813 Posts
I used the rest of the carpro dlux and duragloss on my interior plastic trim. It stays glossy and hopefully protects the painted button indicators from wearing away
Is there something that can protect the buttons without gloss? I want the interior to the car to look original, but still have protection.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Did you prep your wheels like clay or polish? I'm thinking it needs preparation but with the small area and grooves it seems a tedious task..
Prep it like you do the car paint I did mine it took few hrs. Wash, clay, chemical decontaminate, polished with 1.25 inch pad, also used mother wheel polish cone for the small between spokes, then wiped it with a cleaner so it bare naked and Ceramic coated it barrel And all. Still get dirty yeah that won’t change but will it be easier yeah. But you still have to wipe of the dirt just a rinse alone on black isn’t gonna clean it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts