Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2011 EXL the rolling/sliding plastic cover for the center console has cracked several places along the seams. Is this part replaceable? If so where can I find the part? The heat here in the Bahamas is playing havoc with the interior

Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[You haave to change out the QUOTE="Daltongang, post: 1665518, member: 99633"]
Here you go: https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~shutter~83435-SZA-A03ZA.html?vin=&make=Honda&model=Pilot&year=2011&submodel=&extra1=5 Door EX-L (4WD)&extra2=KA 5AT&filter=()

View attachment 139380

Now that you have changed your BVD's 馃槅 , my suggestion would be to call around to some salvage yards for any of the vehicle year and models listed and see about getting one there. It's got to be a whole lot cheaper. Or try carparts.com
[/QUOTE]
So
Here you go: https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~shutter~83435-SZA-A03ZA.html?vin=&make=Honda&model=Pilot&year=2011&submodel=&extra1=5 Door EX-L (4WD)&extra2=KA 5AT&filter=()

View attachment 139380

Now that you have changed your BVD's 馃槅 , my suggestion would be to call around to some salvage yards for any of the vehicle year and models listed and see about getting one there. It's got to be a whole lot cheaper. Or try carparts.com
So you have to change the entire unit?

Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
Not the whole console. Part #27 is the shutter & frame. I have not found from an OEM Honda distributor just the lid. It comes as the shutter and frame section that is slides in. Al the other numbers parts that go with the shutter and frame you should be able to salvage from your existing vehicle.

Since you can't make it at home and it is highly unlikely that a 3rd party makes it, the best bet is to go with a salvage part . Since you only have Honda as a distributor they can pretty much charge what they want for a new console lid assembly.

Registered
Ours split into two sections so I just pushed it forward as much as I could. We can still access the forward compartment in front of the cup holders.

Registered
A used one is likely to be just as bad. Our 2009 shutter was split into four pieces. I disassembled the console, cleaned the shutter pieces and tracks, sanded the top surfaces with 60 grit sandpaper, then used 3M #90 adhesive to put a piece of carbon fiber looking upholstery vinyl over the top to tie them together, but still be flexible enough to follow the curve. I had a little trouble trimming the edges, but it works. Cost me $10 for a piece of vinyl (could probably do two more) from my local upholstery shop. He probably had hundreds of available colors and patterns. Could have done just black, and considered trying to match the tan of the interior.
20200912_150724_resized.jpg
20200912_161120_resized.jpg 20200912_161124_resized.jpg 20200912_161606_resized.jpg 20200912_162608_resized.jpg 20200912_170309_resized.jpg 20200912_181123.jpg

Attachments

Registered
A used one is likely to be just as bad. Our 2009 shutter was split into four pieces. I disassembled the console, cleaned the shutter pieces and tracks, sanded the top surfaces with 60 grit sandpaper, then used 3M #90 adhesive to put a piece of carbon fiber looking upholstery vinyl over the top to tie them together, but still be flexible enough to follow the curve. I had a little trouble trimming the edges, but it works. Cost me $10 for a piece of vinyl (could probably do two more) from my local upholstery shop. He probably had hundreds of available colors and patterns. Could have done just black, and considered trying to match the tan of the interior.
View attachment 139943
View attachment 139945 View attachment 139946 View attachment 139947 View attachment 139948 View attachment 139949 View attachment 139950
Can i ask how you went about to start removing the trim peice number 32 up in the diagram? I am trying to get access to the wiring for the Aux jack in my 2010 Touring so i can replace it and I cannot seem to find any videos or step by step or tips on the best way to get that peice removed. I found two videos on youtube where they were trying to fix that shutter sliding track but in both videos they already had it disassembled. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Registered
Really nice job! Great creative solution. It's funny seems like all the sudden a lot of people are having problems with this part. Guess it's hit it's end of designed lifespan.

Registered
Can i ask how you went about to start removing the trim peice number 32 up in the diagram? I am trying to get access to the wiring for the Aux jack in my 2010 Touring so i can replace it and I cannot seem to find any videos or step by step or tips on the best way to get that peice removed. I found two videos on youtube where they were trying to fix that shutter sliding track but in both videos they already had it disassembled. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
If I remember correctly, that top piece just pops in place with clips. If you have plastic trim removal tools, start at the back and pry to pull it straight up. I'm not sure if the front ends are buried too far under the dash to take the whole piece off with the console in place. To get the slider out, I removed the entire console, then disassembled it.

Registered
If I remember correctly, that top piece just pops in place with clips. If you have plastic trim removal tools, start at the back and pry to pull it straight up. I'm not sure if the front ends are buried too far under the dash to take the whole piece off with the console in place. To get the slider out, I removed the entire console, then disassembled it.
Thank you, I have the trim tools on the way. It helps to know to start at the back. Thanks again for the info.

Registered
I just say start at the back because the front ends might be trapped by the dash. You might be able to lift it high enough to get the bucket out to get to the AUX jack. With the console out, it doesn't matter where you start. You could use a screwdriver wrapped in tape to pry it up; I suggest the plastic tools because they are less likely to damage the console pieces.

Edit: Based on the link in your other post, that top piece will come off with the console in place. Start at the back, then lift is as much as you can at the front ends and you should be able to pop them out.

Edit: The two panels with the vents above the two sides of the console come off pretty easily to give you more room to take the top off the console. Pull straight back on the top of those panels, then detach the electrical connectors.

Registered
My 2011 touring went in for repair of a rear fan unit that was noisy. They had to remove the console. Fast forward to getting the Pilot back and my shutter is broke into pieces. I never noticed at the time of the other repair because I鈥檓 not typically using the sliding shutter to move forward and cover the cup holders. Now that I鈥檓 researching a replacement piece, it doesn鈥檛 seem like an easy fix and I can鈥檛 blame the dealership for breaking it as it was weeks after the fact that I even noticed.
Can just the shutter be purchased and replaced? Everywhere I look, it appears to be the entire assembly?

Registered
Can just the shutter be purchased and replaced? Everywhere I look, it appears to be the entire assembly?
If you read all the previous posts, you'd see that you can only buy the entire rolling shutter assembly (#27 in the exploded view further up), not just the cover. Any used one you could find might be in the same condition.

If you can get all sections of yours exposed and could find a flexible piece of vinyl with a strong self adhesive (or maybe double sided tape on the underside), you might be able to do something similar to what I did (described earlier) to tie all the sections together without disassembling the console.

Registered
Just curious about an update for this? Mine is disassembled now because it completely fell apart. Did you leave the rubber ontop of the plastic or did you remove the rubber, sand the plastic and attach the vinyl straight to the plastic?

Registered
Not sure what rubber you're talking about, mine is just plastic. I sanded the tops of the plastic slats so the adhesive had a rough surface to grip. I used the spray adhesive to attach the vinyl directly to the plastic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts