Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone noticed that after awhile, their center console refuses to close? Took in the Pilot for it's first Oil Change on Friday, and mentioned to them that the center console was not closing properly. They said that Honda was aware of the problem, but that there was no official fix yet.

FYI.......Checked the White EX-L in the showroom, and it had the same problem with the center console not closing properly. Basically, you have to slam it down, or force it to get it to close properly.

BTW, A big thanks to George E. at Mile High Honda in Denver. When they "Oil Change" guys changed the oil, it seems that they didnt clean the drain up properly. Called back, and George is a friend that works at the dealer, and he hooked me up.

Thanks George!

Later, Ben.

:2:

·
Registered
964 Posts
BWD said:
Anyone noticed that after awhile, their center console refuses to close? Took in the Pilot for it's first Oil Change on Friday, and mentioned to them that the center console was not closing properly. They said that Honda was aware of the problem, but that there was no official fix yet.

FYI.......Checked the White EX-L in the showroom, and it had the same problem with the center console not closing properly. Basically, you have to slam it down, or force it to get it to close properly.

BTW, A big thanks to George E. at Mile High Honda in Denver. When they "Oil Change" guys changed the oil, it seems that they didnt clean the drain up properly. Called back, and George is a friend that works at the dealer, and he hooked me up.

Thanks George!

Later, Ben.

:2:
I've noticed that something similar with my Pilot. The center console closes just fine, however it won't secure any longer. When I first started to notice it I could pull back on the center console when closed, that would secure it. Now it won't even secure when I do that. The dealer said they would have to remove the back cover of the console to tighten two screws in order to fix it. I'm thinking of buying some lock washers to throw on there, hopefully that will prevent the screws from loosening next time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Centre console latch

I noticed that there were instructions on console removal a while ago. I grew tired of my Honda dealer waiting for parts to fix my console--so I gently pulled the top of the heater/aircontrol for the second seat passengers off --just enought to access the 2 screws that secure the console lid (it was popping up) and tightened them and voila -no more problem --its been over a week since I did the repair and so far so good! Try it!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Poor folks...you poor poor folks....just kidding, but seriously, I had the same problem. I think this is a design problem, I took it to the dealer and they couldn't fix it after two times. I made sure the screws were tight, and it seemed to fix it for a day or two and then it was messing up again. I ended up taking the bracket off and bending it to the shape it should have been from the factory....now it's perfect..you couldn't pull it up without using the clip....perfect.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I did the fix myself as well. About 2 months after I had my Pilot the console would not latch any more. I checked the 2 screws that hold the top on and 1 of them was loose. Ever since I tightened that screw I have had no problem getting the console to latch.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Having this problem too. I guess I better check my screws. You know what is even more annoying? When I close the door that holds the cell phone, all of the change in the change holder falls out into the deep, dark console.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Before I purchased my Siler 04 I went and test drove a blue 04 LX and the center console would shut but it had some play in it. The silver Pilot I ended up getting was ok. The 03 Acura TL had a simliar problem. If you look at the latching design it is cheap and not made very well. Honda continues to miss the little stuff....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bump.......

FYI to all that might still be having this problem.

After waiting months for Honda, I decided to do this myself. The fix is easy.

1. Remove the rear plastic portion of the console, where the heat/air controls are.
2. Remove the 2 small screws holding the lid down.
3. Take your favorite pair of pliers, and slightly bend the 2 brackets where the screws go - down.
4. Reinstall the lid, and screws.
5. Reinstall the rear plastic portion of the console.

Should be good to go.

Thanks, Ben

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
BWD - I followed your procedure at lunch time today and it works.

Thanks for the info.

-john

·
Registered
82 Posts
Anyone else have trouble removing read plastic console cover to get at the screws?

I know I'm no mechanic, but figured I could follow this simple procedure. The problem I had was that after lifting the console lid a few inches so I could get at the two "finger holes", I couldn't get it to pull loose. Figuring it would take a little more pulling, I pulled harder. When I did, the right side popped and I heard what sounded like a small plastic part fall down inside the cover somewhere. Even at this point, the right side of the cover was not "loose", just looser, and the left side still hadn't given a bit. Have I broken a plastic piece on the right side? Should I pull even harder until the thing comes off? Just seems like if I pull much harder, I'm going to tear something up.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.....I'm pretty anal about little stuff like this and am dying to get it fixed without taking it to the dealership to hear that they couldn't fix it =/

Robert

·
Registered
277 Posts
Don't panic... I have a hunch what you heard fall was a metal clip, and you probably didnt break anything. We are talking about a 2003 here, right? If not, it might have changed a bit. If we are not talking about a 2003, we probably should ask someone on the Pilot board who has your year Pilot to check the page in the service manual titled "Center Console Removal/Installation" to see if the same fasteners are being used. If they are, or this is a 2003, then there are metal clips on plastic tabs that snap into slots holding the panel on. The clips have barbs punched on the inside to grip the tab. The barbs are supposed to always hold the tab and the outer clip should let go of the slot when you tug on it.. Unfortunately, sometimes the barbs let go too, allowing the clip to sproing off somewhere, or remain in the slot....

There are three of these clips along the top, inline with the "fingerholes". Then there are two more on the sides about the level of the rear lighter socket. Then two more a few inches below that, and two more near the bottom of the panel. The top row face straight ahead, so you pull straight back to pop these. The ones along the sides point slightly downward, so as you lever the panel back from the top, they should be at the right angle to pop.

You should keep trying to pull straight back on the panel. (arms straight, sitting in the back seat, lean back and pull from the waist--this keeps you from pulling it too far when it finally lets go, which you don't want to do because there are wires going to the panel.)

A short, sharp, confident tug is better than a long steady pull for these fasteners.

Expect metal-on-metal creaking/scraping sounds when the fasteners come out.

Try to fit two fingers in each hole, palms on the panel, grip the panel--to spread the force as much as possible. It's a beefy panel--I really doubt you'll crack it.

Let me know how it goes....

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a 2004, but it sounds like your diagnosis was right on with the metal clips. I was able to finally pop it loose and in doing so heard a couple more of the metal clips fall down into the deep, dark crevases of the inside of that cover. Your are right, I don't think I damaged anything at all...it just sounded like I did initially. I was able to adjust my console hinge and reinstall the cover without any of the metal pieces. I can always go get some from the dealerhip, but somehow, it seems to be hugged up tight the way it is using no clips. I guess I will keep an eye on it.

Thanks again for all the detailed explanation and pictures. It's amazing how many issues owners can address using this board as a resourse instead of the hassle of going to the dealership.

Robert

·
Registered
197 Posts
BWD said:
Bump.......

FYI to all that might still be having this problem.

After waiting months for Honda, I decided to do this myself. The fix is easy.

1. Remove the rear plastic portion of the console, where the heat/air controls are.
2. Remove the 2 small screws holding the lid down.
3. Take your favorite pair of pliers, and slightly bend the 2 brackets where the screws go - down.
4. Reinstall the lid, and screws.
5. Reinstall the rear plastic portion of the console.

Should be good to go.

Thanks, Ben
Just curious if anyone has step-by-step photos of this procedure?

·
Registered
360 Posts
The cell phone door...

My console's top closes and latches just fine, but the little door with the cell phone holder no longer stays in any one of its positions without quite a bit of coaxing from me. Once I do get it into one position, just going over a bump will easily make the door fall down and open completely. Anyone else experiencing this twist on the console issue?

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts