Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4 Sept 20
I'm trying to determine the outlet power of the electrical outlet in the center console.
Can it power an electric tool? For instance, if I were to plug an electric impact wrench into this outlet, would it have the power to run that tool?
After my wife had a flat tire develop on my 2012 Honda Pilot a week ago, (1st time I must add) I had to loosen the wheel lug nuts. Luckily I had brought a 1/2" Craftsman ratchet wrench and my floor jack to the parking lot where she was broken down. The lugs are 7/8" and I had to use the jack handle over the end of the ratchet wrench to gain enough leverage to "Break" the lugs loose.
I just don't trust the supplied wrench that comes with the cars. Bad experience in the past using one of them...

Then I had to figure out how to get the spare tire to drop down from below the car. I used the Honda jack handle with the square end to rotate the shaft allowing the tire to descend. This was a pain in the ***. With the rear floor lid in the up position, you can only turn the shaft 180 degrees and then you must take the tool off the shaft and reposition it back to the left and turn it another 180 degrees. The tool can't rotate 360 degrees because it hits the lid. This takes forever to complete.

I'm thinking now that if I can plug in an electric impact wrench using an extension cord so that the wrench reaches the involved wheel, I can "Break" the lugs loose much easier and perhaps someone will know what size socket fits the square shaft to lower and raise the spare tire so that I can use the impact wrench for that as well.

I bought a full size steel rim to use for a full size spare tire and have that tire mounted and ready to be lifted into position. No more "Doughnut" spare tire for me.

If anyone has any information about the available power at the outlet and / or will it support the impact wrench, please reply to my posting.

Thanks,
Keats
Arizona

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
4 Sept 20
I'm trying to determine the outlet power of the electrical outlet in the center console.
Can it power an electric tool? For instance, if I were to plug an electric impact wrench into this outlet, would it have the power to run that tool?
After my wife had a flat tire develop on my 2012 Honda Pilot a week ago, (1st time I must add) I had to loosen the wheel lug nuts. Luckily I had brought a 1/2" Craftsman ratchet wrench and my floor jack to the parking lot where she was broken down. The lugs are 7/8" and I had to use the jack handle over the end of the ratchet wrench to gain enough leverage to "Break" the lugs loose.
I just don't trust the supplied wrench that comes with the cars. Bad experience in the past using one of them...

Then I had to figure out how to get the spare tire to drop down from below the car. I used the Honda jack handle with the square end to rotate the shaft allowing the tire to descend. This was a pain in the ***. With the rear floor lid in the up position, you can only turn the shaft 180 degrees and then you must take the tool off the shaft and reposition it back to the left and turn it another 180 degrees. The tool can't rotate 360 degrees because it hits the lid. This takes forever to complete.

I'm thinking now that if I can plug in an electric impact wrench using an extension cord so that the wrench reaches the involved wheel, I can "Break" the lugs loose much easier and perhaps someone will know what size socket fits the square shaft to lower and raise the spare tire so that I can use the impact wrench for that as well.

I bought a full size steel rim to use for a full size spare tire and have that tire mounted and ready to be lifted into position. No more "Doughnut" spare tire for me.

If anyone has any information about the available power at the outlet and / or will it support the impact wrench, please reply to my posting.

Thanks,
Keats
Arizona
Doubtful, but possibly... I'm assuming you are running an inverter so you can use a 110 plug, if the inverter can handle it that outlet is likely on a 10 amp fuse so you will blow the fuse. Even my old Tacoma WITH a factory 110V plug in the bed couldn't power a 12 amp recip saw.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Owner manual page 187: maximum capacity of the 115V AC outlet is 150 Watts or less, which is about 1.3A.

Any tool is going to list its amp or watt rating somewhere. I.e. my drill is 4.5A, chopsaw is 15A. Hair dryer is 2000W. None of those can be powered from that outlet.
If your impact wrench is wireless, check its charger rating. I.e. my Bosch battery charger is 2.4A (too much) buy Ryobi charger is only 60W.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that answers that question. Not enough Amps to power a tool. Good thought while it lasted.. Cordless Impact Wrenches are really pricey. Maybe a garage sale or the flea market might have one that will do the job. Thanks again to all of you.
Keats
Arizona

·
Registered
694 Posts
Do not forget, "10 amp" circuit in a car is for about 14V, which means about 140 Watts. A 12 amp recip saw is rated so at 120V, which means it is closer to 1440 Watts. Mind, that power consumption is at max load, but impact wrench delivering 90+ ft-lbs of torque would be fairly close to max...

·
Registered
505 Posts
I know I'm stuck in the past, but a 1/2" drive, 25" breaker bar and a 1/2" drive ratchet from Harbor Freight will set you back less than $30, even if you forget the perpetual 20%-off coupon. Then you don't even have to keep the batteries charged. One 19mm socket and you're good to go.

If you want to run a tool off an inverter without custom wiring, connect the inverter directly to your battery with properly rated cables and keep the motor running. A good inverter (meaning you could also use it inside the vehicle for charging a laptop or phone when plugged into the accessory circuit) for that kind of load will cost 10x what the hand tools cost, but it's admittedly kind of a cool solution.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My recommendation for dealing with the spare is to remove the floor lid and put it back in place when you are done. Open the lid at a 45 degree angle and pull it toward you. It will pop off. To reinstall it do the reverse but resting it in place at a 45 degree angle and pushing it back into place. I chucked the donut a while ago and put a full size under there. More safer in an emergency situation.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Well that answers that question. Not enough Amps to power a tool. Good thought while it lasted.. Cordless Impact Wrenches are really pricey. Maybe a garage sale or the flea market might have one that will do the job.
Rather than picking up someone elses leftovers or weak power tools just pick up a new Ryobi drill/impact combo with batteries+charger for under 150. Any extra tool-only or impact wrench or any power tool is inexpensive to add-on. More reliable is a HF 25" breaker bar which is always on "sale" for $14.99 which will always be ready for action in the trunk.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
There's an extension piece for the winch handle, used for both the winch and the jack to get the rotating part out to a convenient location. IIRC the Owner's Manual has a picture showing how the pieces fit together. When I'm working on the car at hoe and need to lower the spare for annual cleaning and air pressure check, I use a long 3/8-drive extension or two instead of the factory handle pieces.

The lug nuts need to be tightened correctly to 94 lbs/ft torque. No Impact Gun for Tightening. Buy a 1/2"-drive torque wrench on sale at your local Harbor Freight store for around $10 on sale with a coupon (search online for coupons...), with the correct deep socket for the lug nuts. Use it religiously. At $10 they are cheap enough to leave one in the car.

After some extended discussion around some other cars in the fleet, the threads on the steel lugs get a thin coating of copper ant-seize to prevent corrosion. None on the coned face where the nuts meet the steel insert in the wheel -- that's where friction keeps the nuts from working loose, so that needs to be clean and dry.

The AC inverter outlet isn't sufficient to support an impact wrench powerful enough to pull over-tightened and/or corroded lug bolts. None I've seen anyway. I throw a battery-operated Makita impact driver in the bin when I go someplace towing the trailer, mostly because it's a real chore getting lug nuts off a flat trailer tire & wheel. The $10 torque wrench with the ratchet in the end is plenty for removing lug nuts on the Pilot.

Use a torque wrench now on all the lug nuts, and set them correctly in the comfort of your garage or driveway. Next time you need to take them off, no worries -- they will come off easily even with the toolkit lug wrench.

-----

Tire stores love to put lug nuts on with the impact driver, then go back with a torque wrench to make sure they aren't loose. The torque spec is there to make sure they aren't too loose, but just as important they aren't too tight. Over-tightened, they stretch the lugs, risk warping rotors and hats, and make the nuts pretty tough to remove. I've gotten to the point where i haul wheels and tires to the tires store and have them do what they do well -- mount and balance tires on my wheels. Then I install them on the car myself, so I know it's done correctly. I've had just enough bad experience with the tire store help to make that worthwhile, if for no other reason than my own peace of mind.

·
Registered
2010 Pilot EXL
111 Posts
Well that answers that question. Not enough Amps to power a tool. Good thought while it lasted.. Cordless Impact Wrenches are really pricey. Maybe a garage sale or the flea market might have one that will do the job. Thanks again to all of you.
Keats
Arizona
If your goal is to give your wife help in changing tires, buy her a AAA contract. It works all the time.

Cordless impact divers will not have the power to remove a 100ft-# torqued rusty lug nut. Most of the corded impacts can't either unless you get the heavy high power models that consume about 1KW

·
Registered
694 Posts
Cordless impact divers will not have the power to remove a 100ft-# torqued rusty lug nut. Most of the corded impacts can't either unless you get the heavy high power models that consume about 1KW

1400 ft/lbs of torque won't do it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Keats
Arizona
breaker bars are cheap though

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Both our auto insurance and AAA membership offer free roadside service. Depending on where she is, that time-to-respond may exceed her patience. Otherwise, have her use the service and not get her hands or clothing dirty. Or have the car fall off the jack, or she gets hit by a careless driver.

Generally, I get the phone call that asks about what the low tire pressure indicator really means. I remind mrs dr bob that there's a tire pressure gauge in the bottom of the center console, plus a mini air compressor in the side compartment in the rear of her 4Runner. Good if it's a slow leak, otherwise either I or the AAA driver get to road-trip and rescue her. I's been 15+ years since the last TPMS-warning phone call, meaning I should probably verify that the gauge is still there and the mini-compressor still works. I wouldn't think of having here try to change a flat tire herself; it would take longer than the typical wait for the AAA driver. Meanwhile.... Real Men don't call AAA, I guess.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts