Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The center armrest on my 04 EX-L is completely flat and hard. I bought a replacement leather cover for it, and now I just need to find some suitable foam. I've searched the forums extensively and all I see is people saying they used foam from a fabric store, or they took the armrest to a car upholsterer and had them do it all. So my question is: what kind of foam should I use? My fabric stores only had some very thin, soft green foam that compressed too easily. Should I use a firmer foam, and how thick should I get? I've seen suggestions like 3/8" and 1/2". Is a neoprene foam too hard? Or is there another type I should look into?

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
The center armrest on my 04 EX-L is completely flat and hard. I bought a replacement leather cover for it, and now I just need to find some suitable foam. I've searched the forums extensively and all I see is people saying they used foam from a fabric store, or they took the armrest to a car upholsterer and had them do it all. So my question is: what kind of foam should I use? My fabric stores only had some very thin, soft green foam that compressed too easily. Should I use a firmer foam, and how thick should I get? I've seen suggestions like 3/8" and 1/2". Is a neoprene foam too hard? Or is there another type I should look into?
I did this repair on a Crosstour and from what remember is the OEM foam rubber was not exactly what you would call high grade (dense). I would say for you to use whatever you can find that gives you the comfort your looking for. If you can find neoprene thin enough, that would be a good choice. Just make sure you have enough leather to cover it and staple.
After having to do this job, when I drive or someone else is driving I say "Hey!, don't dig your elbow into my upholstery." Lol

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
There used to be a thread here about me replacing the vinyl leather and collapsed foam on my 2006. Thanks to the admins of this site, the thread is gone.
Long story short, I bought a 10x10x2" piece of extra-firm foam from the ebay (out of the USA) and cut it down to 1 1/4" and to shape. Then I patterned the leather replacement cover from the old vinyl cover. Now it feels much better in any weather.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts