Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting scenario here, hoping some can provide some insight.

Recently had the issues with low engine oil, determined I had spark plug fouling. My VCM muzzler actually just arrived today, but it is not installed yet.

About 200 miles ago I had full timing belt job completed along with all six plugs. Maybe 50-100 miles after that job, the vehicle had the CEL come on along with a flashing D. I scanned for codes, and there were none. Next time I might drive, CEL would be on, no flashing D.

Strange.

I cleared the codes, and drove it a bit and shortly after it was back to CEL and a flashing D. Then just a CEL, no flashing. All the while, no codes stored. This time I did nothing and the CEL has been gone for about a week with my regular driving.

What gives? Anyone seen something similar?

Potentially related, and remember, I'm not muzzled yet. I live in Rochester, NY. It's been at or below 20 degrees for the past week. ECO light is only coming on (during proper driving conditions for it to hit) once the vehicle reaches full operating temperature. Is this normal? It feels like for a lot of my normal driving ECO isn't working, until midway through the drive and it does. Anyone experience anything like this? Does ECO only work, or prefer to work, once there is a sufficiently warm engine? Does this not matter if I'm going to muzzle the vehicle this weekend anyway?

Couple things to unpack here, I know. I appreciate the time and advice!

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Sic,

Yes, the VCM will only engage/turn on under certain conditions. Light engine loads, over about 30 mph,
AND- above around 165degrees temperature.

In fact, the reading the ECU gets fron the VCM muzzler is the only way it works.
So UNTIL your Pilot is warmed up, it never comes on anyways.
Verbatim- and maybe others, figured this out and marketed the product, to keep the VCM from engaging.

As far as the CEL lights.
These Hondas are really touchy. CEL do serve a good purpose. BUT,
For instance- in medicine- they say, 'Treat the patient, not the lab numbers'
The Analogy is- treat the vehicle, how it runs, etc. Don't go throwing money at a CEL light, when often in reality- it came on b/c there was some little thing the system wasn't familar with- so the CEL light comes on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scanned TCM with a paper clip jumper.
D is flashing a 26 which I seem to see is: 26 - 3rd clutch transmission fluid pressure switch (short/ON, open/OFF)

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Scanned TCM with a paper clip jumper.
D is flashing a 26 which I seem to see is: 26 - 3rd clutch transmission fluid pressure switch (short/ON, open/OFF)
On my 01 dodge truck, you can turn the key on and off 3 times, on the third, the code or codes show up in the odometer lights.

I'm guessing on Hondas- supposedly higher quality/tech? You have to jump some pins in the obd port and then look at the D light to blink?

So you have a link on how to do that?

Reactions: sickest16

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used to have a dodge and could do the key dance. That lead me to researching the Honda version of that, which was the paperclip jumper in the OBD port. It's good for some things, but I do prefer to use my OBDII scanner for most these days. These TCM style codes (and more) are outside the abilities of my scanner so back to the paperclip I go.

Insert clip as shown and flip key to ON and you will see some flashing action. Be careful with the paperclip. Do it wrong and you will blow fuses (trust me on this one...).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts