Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was gone for a few weeks. When I returned, my trusty 2004 Pilot LX AWD (268,000~ish miles) popped a CEL (code P0135, Bank 1, Sensor 1, O2 sensor heater circuit) and a VTM-4 light. It started right up so it's likely not a battery voltage issue. This is the first time I've seen the CEL come on in the 15 years I've had this vehicle so it actually took a second to figure out what I was looking at.

Since I'm going to replace an O2 sensor, I might as well do all of them. How many are there? I'm about to order the parts and want to be sure I get the right stuff. Any luck with certain brands over others (e.g. Denso vs Delphi vs Bosch, etc)?

As far as the VTM-4 light, my code reader (a Bluetooth ScanTool OBDlink MX) isn't giving me any feedback regarding this problem. I do have access to a better code reader. The light only comes on after I crank so I'm not sure if that means anything. I had the transmission and rear differential serviced by Economy Honda in Chattanooga last November, approximately 11 months and 12k miles ago.

This old vehicle is getting to an age where it doesn't like to sit.

Registered
I was gone for a few weeks. When I returned, my trusty 2004 Pilot LX AWD (268,000~ish miles) popped a CEL (code P0135, Bank 1, Sensor 1, O2 sensor heater circuit) and a VTM-4 light. It started right up so it's likely not a battery voltage issue. This is the first time I've seen the CEL come on in the 15 years I've had this vehicle so it actually took a second to figure out what I was looking at.

Since I'm going to replace an O2 sensor, I might as well do all of them. How many are there? I'm about to order the parts and want to be sure I get the right stuff. Any luck with certain brands over others (e.g. Denso vs Delphi vs Bosch, etc)?

As far as the VTM-4 light, my code reader (a Bluetooth ScanTool OBDlink MX) isn't giving me any feedback regarding this problem. I do have access to a better code reader. The light only comes on after I crank so I'm not sure if that means anything. I had the transmission and rear differential serviced by Economy Honda in Chattanooga last November, approximately 11 months and 12k miles ago.

This old vehicle is getting to an age where it doesn't like to sit.
Obviously replacing parts associated with the CEL is what some may say is necessary. But I'll do a sweep though a vehicle if nothing has ever been done. But if your at 268k miles, someone is doing something right. I'm scratching my head wondering if you really need any advice 馃馃槒

Registered
If you change out the O2 sensors, pay the price for OEM the first time you do the job, not the second time.

Catch my meaning? :)

Registered
If you change out the O2 sensors, pay the price for OEM the first time you do the job, not the second time.

Catch my meaning? :)
Denso or park it.
In a crunch I bought a Bosch $120. Lasted 25k miles. 馃憥

Reactions: KaHOnas

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I'm scratching my head wondering if you really need any advice 馃馃槒
Thanks, I think? I've had this Pilot since November 2006 and 27,556mi. I've kept ahead of most of the maintenance which is why I'm a little thrown off. I know with the age and mileage, things will invariably start to go bad but I know these are probably relatively minor issues; hopefully the VTM-4 problem isn't anything major. If the AWD is going to be expensive to get back online then I'm going to give serious thought to sending it to a new home.

I was really just throwing out my situation in hopes of someone chiming in with some Honda weirdness they've experienced while addressing similar problems. I'm not a professional mechanic (I used to wrench on helicopters but that was a long time ago) but I consider myself pretty capable. Nothing wrong with getting a little bit of intel before digging into the unknown, right?

Registered
My 2004 Pilot has two O2 sensors. Picked up both from RA and the NGK brand was relatively inexpensive. The one on the front pipe came off easily but the one on the CAT was welded rusted on so be ready for cussing and breaking things.
The VTM-4 either needs rear diff fluid service or a wheel speed sensor may have failed.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Fix the O2 sensor and I bet that the VTM4 code will go away.
Let's hope that does it. I will report back once I get the parts installed and the code cleared.

Registered
2005 Pilot EX 4WD, 2007 Accord DX Sedan, 2.4L
If the engine is throwing a code, the computer will often disable the VTM4 . Fix the O2 sensor and I bet that the VTM4 code will go away.
From my understanding when I had the exact same codes and the VTM4 was lit up; the VTM4 light comes on when there may be a power problem because it doesn't know if it can operate correctly. It also prevents you from using the VTM4 Lock, but replacing the O2 sensors will (rather should) extinguish the VTM4 light. Bank 1 is the bank that is closest to the passenger cabin on the engine (furthest from the radiator).

Registered
My '04 EXL has two O2 sensors. I changed it at 160K with Denso's bought from rockauto. It has been 20K and they worked alright. There is a special wrench adapter that made it easier to uninstall the old ones.

Registered
2008 Piot SE; 2015 Pilot LX
On a tangent,
My 01 Dodge Dakota gave me 2 codes, the #2 cylinder bank, and one of the 4 - O2 sensors.

I cleaned my re usable K&N air cleaner that I hadn't cleaned in 10 years. Re-oiled it.

Reset codes. No more codes over 1000 miles later?

Check the gas cap, air filter, etc. Then buy parts.

Good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts